70-200 4.0 + 2x tc

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited January 24, 2012 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
Has anyone tried using the 70-200 F4 with a 2x tc ? I use the the 1.4x and the pictures are amazing wide open (5.6) Just curious as to what the 2x would look like :wink
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    i think 2x tc would degrade IQ. i use 2x tc with 200 2.8. even with prime, the IQ degrades. however, in ideal conditions, the combo 200 2.8 and 2x tc is a killer.
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/308960784_6Cuko-XL.jpg
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    eyusuf wrote:
    i think 2x tc would degrade IQ. i use 2x tc with 200 2.8. even with prime, the IQ degrades. however, in ideal conditions, the combo 200 2.8 and 2x tc is a killer.
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/308960784_6Cuko-XL.jpg
    Good Morning and thanks for your response thumb.gif
    I guess I have a reason now to buy the 400 5.6 mwink.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    I've thought about doing the same thing because my next lens will probably be the 70-200 f4 but from what I've read not only does it drop the lens to a 400 f8 but unless you are using a 1d series camera you lose autofocus. I agree thout, this probably would be a good excuse to get the 400 5.6clap.gif. Good luck!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I am using the 70-200 F2.8 IS with 2x Tc and found the autofocus slow down quite a bit and the IQ drop towards the 200 mm

The 2x makes the F4 to F8 seems too slow in most of cases. I am not sure about the autofocus performance or actual IQ but guess it may have the same effect as the F2.8.

I am considering to get a 1.4X for a better IQ.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • swtransswtrans Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2008
    I am new to the forum (my first post, have been reading it for months) and am trying to learn how to take a good picture. I feel like the weatherman has a better winning percentage than me, I'm lucky to get one great shot out of every 100.

I have:
    a Canon 40D with the stock Canon 28-135 lens;
    a Canon 85mm 1.8 lens;
    a Sigman 30mm 1.4 lens;
    a Sigma 10-20 wide angle; and
    an old Canon 75-300.

I shoot a lot of pics at my childs school. Its lighting seems ok until you try to take a picture without a flash. Most schools probably are the same. That is the reason for the 1.4.

Questions:

I was reading this thread and noticed this "2x tc" ... I'm assuming this doubles the mm, so my 85mm could be a 170mm 1.8??? The 75-300 a 150-600?

So if I put one on the 85mm, would it perform as well as (or near as well as) a 170mm prime?

Are there different qualities in these "2x tc"? Any links to information or suggested lens extenders would be appreciated?
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    swtrans wrote:
    I am new to the forum (my first post, have been reading it for months) and am trying to learn how to take a good picture. I feel like the weatherman has a better winning percentage than me, I'm lucky to get one great shot out of every 100.

I have:
    a Canon 40D with the stock Canon 28-135 lens;
    a Canon 85mm 1.8 lens;
    a Sigman 30mm 1.4 lens;
    a Sigma 10-20 wide angle; and
    an old Canon 75-300.

I shoot a lot of pics at my childs school. Its lighting seems ok until you try to take a picture without a flash. Most schools probably are the same. That is the reason for the 1.4.

Questions:

I was reading this thread and noticed this "2x tc" ... I'm assuming this doubles the mm, so my 85mm could be a 170mm 1.8??? The 75-300 a 150-600?

So if I put one on the 85mm, would it perform as well as (or near as well as) a 170mm prime?

Are there different qualities in these "2x tc"? Any links to information or suggested lens extenders would be appreciated?

You are right, it will double the focal length ang give you a tele-lens of 600 mm but
    1. the 75-300 is f4-5.6 , it means you may end up with a 150 mm of F8 and 600 mm of f11.2 which is far too slow for any picture at normal lighting.
    2. The Canon 2X is specially design for the L lenses. It has a rubber ring on the front element which is not compatible to the non-L lens, such as your 75 -300. You can consider other 3rd party TC.
    3. Your 40D is 1.6 crop sensor, it means the 75-300 is working as 120 - 480 mm. for such long focal length you may need to set the shutter speed to 1/500 for handheld. If you put a 2 X, you need to set to 1/1000 at least (with f11.2). it may not be practical.

I have the 300D and the same 75-300 mm and Kendo 2X. In fact, I can only use it with tripod but the IQ was not acceptable.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited August 21, 2008
    swtrans wrote:

The very best answer to this is on this page: (Search for "extender")

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swtransswtrans Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2008
    Thanks guys. So I lose a couple f-stops (thought this was too good to be true, Laughing.gif). So from reading this, it looks like I need to use a 3rd party to work with my Canon 85 1.8.

I also noticed in the FAQ they said maybe its better to shoot with your normal lens and just crop.

Just considering this 85mm 1.8, adding a 2x extender, would any of you guys do this or is cropping just as effective?

I found this review:

http://www.adorama.com/KN14XPDEOS.html#ProductReviews

This guy was thinking use a 1.4 so only one stop is lost. Ok, but then you are giving up the 2.0.

If you guys were going to get an extender, would you do the 1.4 or the 2.0 (again, will probably use on that 85mm).

Thanks!!!!!!
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Folks,
    Has anyone tried using the 70-200 F4 with a 2x tc ? I use the the 1.4x and the pictures are amazing wide open (5.6) Just curious as to what the 2x would look like mwink.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...

I just want to say, I had this combo for a while. The only IQ loss I was seeing was because of blurry photos from lack of autofocus (my eyes are not so great for focusing). Moved to the 2.8 + 2x and use it strictly for birds and daytime sports, great combo. Still not quite enough reach for birds though.
    ~ Lisa
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    swtrans wrote:
    Thanks guys. So I lose a couple f-stops (thought this was too good to be true, Laughing.gif). So from reading this, it looks like I need to use a 3rd party to work with my Canon 85 1.8.

I also noticed in the FAQ they said maybe its better to shoot with your normal lens and just crop.

Just considering this 85mm 1.8, adding a 2x extender, would any of you guys do this or is cropping just as effective?

I found this review:

http://www.adorama.com/KN14XPDEOS.html#ProductReviews

This guy was thinking use a 1.4 so only one stop is lost. Ok, but then you are giving up the 2.0.

If you guys were going to get an extender, would you do the 1.4 or the 2.0 (again, will probably use on that 85mm).

Thanks!!!!!!

You'd be far better off putting the $200 or so you'd be spending on a good 2X converter towards a 200/2.8II or 70-200/4, both can be had for $500 or less used.

Gene
  • JimnaJimna Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2012
    Anyone use these personally? I remember reading that 1 version of 2x TC was much sharper than another, but despite my searches I cant find that info now. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 24, 2012
    Jimna wrote: »
    Anyone use these personally? I remember reading that 1 version of 2x TC was much sharper than another, but despite my searches I cant find that info now. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM and Canon EF 2x teleconverter, version I. While the results are not too bad, someday I will upgrade to the 2x teleconverter version III*. A visual comparison between that lens and models II and III of the 2x teleconverter is here (starts with version II, mouse-over for version III):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=6&API=2&LensComp=404&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=8&APIComp=0

*(Version I is not bad in the center, but versions II and III are better at the edges and corners, version III considerably so.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    I have the 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM Mk1 and often use it with the 1.4 Mk2 extender, which make the combo 100-280mm f4.0L. This works like a dream on a 7D which gives you up to 448mm 35mm-equivalent with it's 1.6x crop sensor.

This enables this lens for shooting birds, which I found very difficult without the extender. But don't forget that this is a never ending path because now I'm looking at a 400mm prime.

On another front, my wife is lately very active with shooting birds and insects and other small critters. She now needs two cameras for that and so selects one for each shoot. I am seriously looking at the 180L macro lens. It also supports the 1.4x extender and I'm starting to think it might become a lens suitable for both tasks. The catch is the lack of IS and a bit slower to start with.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    One thing to remember is that Canon only rates certain focus points to work at certain apertures. At f/4 plus a 2X TC, you're at F/8. I think at that aperture, ONLY your center focus point will work, and even then it won't be the greatest. Or that may be Nikon I'm thinking of AF at f/8, and on Canon you're stuck manual focusing. I don't know but it sounds like some replies are talking about AF and some are talking about MF.

Either way, honestly if you want to use a 2X TC you're better off starting at a faster aperture. Even though the 70-200 f/4 is WAY sharper than the 2.8, starting with the 2.8 will get you better autofocus on a TC. Or, better yet, just get the 100-400 or something. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum