Best Waterproof Camera?

hazardouschildhazardouschild Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Cameras
soon I'm leaving for two-week vacation practically living with dolphins and would like to buy a really fine waterproof camera - any opinideas will be appreciated!

:fish

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Image quality concerns aside, (not because any one camera is bad, but just because I know ZERO about which are best) ...I'd pick the new Oly 1080 SW simply because it has a 28mm wide end, unlike any other UW camera I think.

Or are you talking about underwater housings for DSLR's?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • hazardouschildhazardouschild Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    yeah I mean any BETTER one... would work. olypmics 1080 SW is what I thought too. I'm all new to photography so, why is "28mm" so important?
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Get one of the Olympus SW cameras. They are virtually indestructible and can go under water.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I am also looking at the SW 1050 for the extreme weather and snorkeling so that I can continue shooting in any conditions.
    Althought the specification state that it can stand up to 10 meter, I will take it as 5 meters only as the laws for waterproof gears (take the 50% of the spec)

As the water is more dense than air and lights travel faster. The image in the water seems bigger than we can see in the air. The wider angle compensate it and make looks more normal.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    if you have a decent P&S now, check out some of the waterproof enclosures, as they are cheaper than a new camera
    edited August 10, 2008
    I'm sorry... P&S? point and shoot? pardon me I'm kinda of all new to photography - I've had my trusty fuji for eight years now. great camera but it's time for new one! bowdown.gif
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Canon P&S
    I've used my wife's canon 710is with the canon underwater housing. The pictures are acceptable (not great but thats probably the photographer). The only real issue we've had is in snorkeling depth the plastic window over the lcd screen tends to reflect so badly we couldn't see the screen.
    -Philp
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I would agree with the others if you will not be going any deeper than specs allow. The Oly SW series or there is one by Pentax as well. I saw some nice turtle pix from one of those but have never used either. They are cute little buggars and would be great for other water sports like kayaking canoing, walking in the rain, etc. I have been considering one for whale watching from my kayak since my D300 and housing are pretty bulky. rolleyes1.gif

In most situations, keep the flash off. If your subject is more than a couple feet away, you will be lighting up more backscatter than subject which makes an ugly shot requiring lots of cloning. :pissed

Dolphins can be shot well with natural light plus the flash should never be used on them. I have seen them flinch from even a subdued flash. This is harassment and in the US it is illegal - everywhere else, it's still immoral. During the day, they are often in sleep mode and should never be disturbed - let them initiate the contact. You can't always tell when they are in sleep mode because only half of their brain sleeps at one time while the other half swims along with the pod. Also sometime some are in sleep mode while others are not.

Have fun and be nice to our ocean cousins.

Oh BTW, the wider the lens the better so you can get closer - very important uw.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
    edited August 11, 2008
    reeflections -
    yeah I prefer NATURAL light too. since I'll be in some shallow water and it's the bluest plus with white sands, light should be fine without flash. I avoid using it unless I'm in castle rooms; prevents blurriness. but I didn't know flash is illegal though - thanks, I'll keep that in mind; they deserve peace. I am a vet tech and I own about 20 pets, I love all - ALL including the S's, skunks, snakes, slugs, snails - animals dearly if that helps.

thank you all!
  • LizardRanchLizardRanch Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Pentax Optio W30
    soon I'm leaving for two-week vacation practically living with dolphins and would like to buy a really fine waterproof camera - any opinideas will be appreciated!

I have a Pentax Optio W30 which works OK for point and shoot pictures while snorkeling. The Olympus seems like a fine camera too. One thing both of these have in common is that they do not have a eye level viewfinder, you must position and frame the shot using the LCD screen on the back. This is often times difficult in bright sunlight above water, but is the way to go for snorkeling shots.

I've used a number of underwater cameras, film and digital and the NUMBER ONE thing to watch out for is the rubber seals. The Pentax or Olympus (or any other camera/housing) will work great provided the seals are CLEAN. A spec of sand, a hair, a speck of salt or even a clothing fiber will cause the seal to fail and the camera to flood. When you change batteries or memory, inspect the seal and make sure it AND the mating surface are clean before closing the lid. I even carry a pair of +3 magnifying reading glasses to inspect my seals before closing, they are a $10 tool you can get at Walgreens or even a supermarket that can save your $1000+ investment. To clean the seals and surfaces I use foam makeup applicators, kind of like a Q-tip but the tip is made of foam. Don't use a Q-tip because it has fibers that could come off and comprimise the seal. I get my foam applicators at the makeup counter section of a drug store or supermarket. If you can't find these, a clean finger works OK in a pinch.

Another anoying problem with wet situations is having a spot of water on the lens when taking the picture above water. You will usually be able to see this on the LCD as a blurry area and it has ruined many a good picture for me. The same can be said of air bubbles on the lens while snorkeling, but this is less common.

Another option if you want to go one step above is to get a nicer camera with a housing. Olympus, Sony, Canon all make excellent housings specifically for their models of cameras, and they are cheap (relativly), plus they usually have buttons to control every button on the camera. With these you will be able to graduate to scuba shots. MAKE SURE if you do this that the camera you choose has the "Custom White Balance" feature, then you will be set for underwater scuba pictures with natural light (no flash). Those fantastic shots that the pros do of underwater life (excuding macros) are all done WITHOUT a flash using custom white balance. And just because a camera has an underwater setting does not mean it has custom white balance. You need custom white balance for any shot taken under 5 feet or so of water.

I have a Canon A640 with a Canon underwater housing which I think takes excellent pictures. My freind has a Sony (I forgot which kind) which DOES NOT have custom white balance and most of his underwater shots are monochrome blue/green throwaway pictures. You will have to learn how to use custom white balance but when you do you will be amazed.

Good Luck.
    edited August 12, 2008

I just looked, no Custom WB on the 1050, meaning that while it is a fine snorkeling camera, I wouldn't take it below 5 feet, 10 feet max and expect anything but a monocrome blue picture. I wish this one was out before I got my Optio W30, the Olympus seems tougher.
    edited August 12, 2008
    I just looked, no Custom WB on the 1050, meaning that while it is a fine snorkeling camera, I wouldn't take it below 5 feet, 10 feet max and expect anything but a monocrome blue picture. I wish this one was out before I got my Optio W30, the Olympus seems tougher.

I think the 'underwater' modes are what takes care of WB or set the camera up for underwater conditions. My Canon does this, as it adjusts WB when in this mode (above water, never used it underwater)
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    That's good advice from Mike (LizardRanch), especially about taking care with the seal. I would have to disagree that the "pros" use custom WB and no flash though. It would be more accurate to say they use a strobe almost anytime the subject is in strobe range, and they use a camera that shoots RAW so the WB can be worked out on the computer. WB changes often while underwater so no wb setting will stay accurate all the time, but for the depths of the housing-less cameras, just get close on a sunny day and WB will not be a problem.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 14, 2008
    I wish this one was out before I got my Optio W30, the Olympus seems tougher.
    Seems... maybe. Of the reviews I've found, half of them said the Oly leaked after the first week.

Also, this I can vouch for myself, the image quality on the Oly is pretty crap compared to the Pentax. The Oly may be tougher to dropping, but the waterproof level is equal in both.

My vote is for the new Pentax W60.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 15, 2008
    :D alright thanks lizard! I will try both, with and without custom balance...not sure if that waterproof camera I will be getting tomorrow has one. leaving tomorrow!

clap.gifwings.gif :ivar I will be sure to post at least one good underwater picture if I can after I get back. again, thanks all!
  • ImagesByDeMeglioImagesByDeMeglio Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2008

I have an Olympus 770SW (Just over a year old) and took it diving with me when I first bought it. I loved it! I took it down to it's limit of 40' and it still works fine (Though it would get mad at me and start flashing at me:D). I also brought it with me on vacation this year and would leave it in my pocket when I went into the water. It also has a depth gauge/ altimeter. I don't know if the new one has it or not.

I took these photos with it:
    352202482_7NXBz-S.jpg352202514_tMDMz-S.jpg
    Anthony J. DeMeglio
    IMAGES BY DeMEGLIO
    www.ibdphotos.com
    Twitter | MySpace
    edited August 20, 2008
    That's good advice from Mike (LizardRanch), especially about taking care with the seal. I would have to disagree that the "pros" use custom WB and no flash though. It would be more accurate to say they use a strobe almost anytime the subject is in strobe range, and they use a camera that shoots RAW so the WB can be worked out on the computer. WB changes often while underwater so no wb setting will stay accurate all the time, but for the depths of the housing-less cameras, just get close on a sunny day and WB will not be a problem.

Ah True indeed, the REAL pros use raw mode. Unfortunately for me, both of the digital cameras I have used for UW photos did not have a raw mode (Olympus C5050, Canon A640). I purchased these cameras for a few reasons, one of them being that the manufacturers (Oly,Canon) released custom housings with these cameras that were relatively cheap. There may be some non DSLR cameras with accessory housings that do have raw mode but I've not researched it.

Raw would seem to me the way to go for UW shots. Even with custom WB, getting the correct WB is really tough and changes constantly (for example if a cloud goes by).

Anyway, it looks like the poster is looking for a little bit less technical camera, in which case the waterproof Oly or Pentax would definately prove less hastle. Just remember to keep those seals clean.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    the oly's are kinda mwah in terms of image quality (on land and and underwater). Although they can take a serious beating in terms of dropping, you dont want to take them underwater afterwards.. as i've had first hand knowledge of. :D both of the two sw 870's ive had with me died after taking them into the water (were bumped a few times because i've done demo's with them rolleyes1.gif) One came back to life after drying.. eek7.gif but is now handicapped for live. I only keep it out of sympathy.. rolleyes1.gif

here are some shots

409067197_hssTM-M.jpg

409039583_24L4z-M.jpg

409068762_Sc9M3-M.jpg

I'm fitting my G10 (RAW Baby!!) with an underwater housing from canon, should make much better images (yeah i know, lot more expensive either but isnt that always the case? rolleyes1.gif)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Canon finally came out with an UW camera

d10_586x225.jpg
    edited February 21, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Canon finally came out with an UW camera

Yeah I thought they should have called it the 'Pufferfish"

puffer-fish-puffed.jpg
  • furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I have a 1050sw works good, I like that it is smallish so I carry it around while working. Mine has held up pretty good considering I've mainly used in in antarctica. So it's held up to the cold, I've gone swimming with it so it's held up to the cold water. I agree that the picture isn't the sharpest but I've beat the crap out of it and it has held up great. So it will help you get those shots you want. From my experiances with it, is it takes better macro and underwater shots then above water.

With out it I wouldn't have been able to take pictures of Ice burgs from under water or of fish trying to eat it, so I am pleased.
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Yeah I thought they should have called it the 'Pufferfish"

puffer-fish-puffed.jpg

Odd design, I agree.
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I used a normal Canon Ixus 40 last year while snorkeling. Stuck it in a Dicapac which cost me a around 35 Euro's. It worked pretty well:

2916198550_342c74a5b5_o.jpg

There's a whole load more images like this on my flickr account.

:D
  • meatpopmeatpop Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    I was about to buy a Pentax Optio W60...
    on Amazon for less that $250 but their stoopid system showed me this when I added the W60 to my cart:

digikaamera-pentax-optio-w80-4.jpg

I haven't seen the bling model for sale, but Pentax says the W80 will start shipping before the end of this month!
    The $300 price tag caused me to reconsider my W60 purchase... but, should I jump on the W80 without any reviews?
    The W60 got decent reviews, and Pentax is no fly-by-night operation.

I just had my second P&S go tits up, likely because of a lens extension problem (both Canon an Pentax)
    so I am very interested in the W-line because the lens does not extend.
    Decent pictures (great macro I hear) and pretty rugged are what I need.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Dpreview have just done a group test of current underwater cameras.....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072210waterproofgroup.asp

jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • meatpopmeatpop Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    jogle wrote:
    Dpreview have just done a group test of current underwater cameras.....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072210waterproofgroup.asp

Thank you very, very much. DPReview is a great site, and I had not seen that review. They got their mitts on a W80, and found it performed worse than the W60... doh. What's wrong with Pentax?!?