Christmas in San Juan (BW)

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Took this Dec 2006. The original color image was taken with a Nikon Coolpix EV5700 non DSLR. For a P&S on auto it took pretty nice photos. Converted to BW yesterday. The original is here

347790472_DyzJk-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    It is a very nice shot. Well thought out and composed. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Hi Jack...

I like this shot. I cropped it from the top to just at the top of the tree and I like it even more....got rid of some of that area that appears blown out. I also really like some of the other San Juan shots you have taken. Good stuff.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Took this Dec 2006. The original color image was taken with a Nikon Coolpix EV5700 non DSLR. For a P&S on auto it took pretty nice photos. Converted to BW yesterday. The original is here

Jack that is a very good shot, and I love you conversion to B&W clap.gif
    I prefer to be able to see Black and White than shades of Grey that many people seem to come up with.

Lovely Shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    It is a very nice shot. Well thought out and composed. thumb.gif

Thanks for commenting. It's very much appreciated.

Jack
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Jack...

I like this shot. I cropped it from the top to just at the top of the tree and I like it even more....got rid of some of that area that appears blown out. I also really like some of the other San Juan shots you have taken. Good stuff.

Tom

Thanks Tom
    Yup there's quite a lot of blown hilites here. I included the frieze at the top because with the light blue of the building, it reminded me of old Wedgewood China. You are right about the crop although I might still include the tops of the columns.
    I also really like some of the other San Juan shots you have taken. Good stuff.

Thanks Tom. I loved San Juan mostly due to the beautiful pastel shades of all the buildings. Having lived all my life in New England I had never seen this style before. All our older buildings are either granite or brick, and the new ones are drab concrete and steel.

Jack
    edited August 10, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Jack that is a very good shot, and I love you conversion to B&W clap.gif
    I prefer to be able to see Black and White than shades of Grey that many people seem to come up with.

Lovely Shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks so much Skippy. I was beginning to wonder whether I was alone in that opinion regarding having some pure black and pure white in the image.

Jack
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hey Jack,

You're right. Cropping the B&W version to the top of the columns gives the best look yet. In the color version, I agree with you about going all the way to the top to show the " Wedgewood " look. You did a splendid job with this one.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hey Jack,

You're right. Cropping the B&W version to the top of the columns gives the best look yet. In the color version, I agree with you about going all the way to the top to show the " Wedgewood " look. You did a splendid job with this one.

Tom

You're too kind Tom (but I appreciate your response). I did work an awful long time on this one.

Jack