Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (a.k.a. 400D)

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited August 9, 2008 in Cameras
Feedback from owners please. I want to shoot Macro and nature in the park. Need to know how this camera does.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 9, 2008
    I moved this from the Flea Market. The FM is for buying and selling and this forum is for the discussion of cameras and lenses. You should reach a more appropriate audience here.

To address your question, The Canon XTi/400D is an entry level body. I have 2 copies of the Canon XT/350D, and I don't have any immediate plans to sell either.

I have used them professionally and personally and they are great little and lightwight cameras.

The XTi is an upgraded version of what I have and it is also a very nice camera.

As entry level cameras, these bodies lack advanced features but they do have decent imagers and image processing sections. They are also less durable and the internals are not designed to last as long as the prosumer and professional cameras.

For macro and wildlife they can be fine, except for birds-in-flight or other very fast situations where I think you need a more responsive system.

Honestly, just about any camera from any manufacturer might satisfy those needs.

Most of image quality (sharpness and contrast anyway) comes from high-quality lenses and proper technique. You will probably spend much more on lenses than on any single body to achieve your goals.

For true "macro" work, a great lens might be the Tamron SP 90mm, f/2.8 Di Macro. Most people love this lens. Our own Lord V. uses a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 EX Macro and he produces awesome results.

For nature and wildlife, I would recommend using at least 2 lenses to cover more situations with higher quality than any single lens can. In particular I use 3 for my travel lenses:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM, it's just a superb imaging machine. Responsiveness and autofocus speed and accuracy are truly great and battery life is also very nice.

Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM for more range and a 1.4x teleconverter and you have a very versatile, lightweight and fairly compact system in 2 lenses.

My third lens is the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and I find it useful for vistas and situations where I need to shoot in front of obstacles.

If you are just shooting for yourself, and if you have plenty of light, the Sigma 18-200mm, f/3.5-6.3 DC OS has a lot of convenience, but I really haven't seen too many people really satisfied.

Canon has a 2 lens solution:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4-5.6 IS

While neither is stellar, they appear to be genuine upgrades from the non-IS consumer grade lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Thank you so much Ziggy....I'll look into it and discuss it all with DH. He wants me to get it right........the devoted husband.
    edited August 9, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Thank you so much Ziggy....I'll look into it and discuss it all with DH. He wants me to get it right........the devoted husband.

Unfortunately, that's kinda like "getting it right" with an automobile or a house purchase. As people change and grow and as their needs and abilities change, and as equipment matures and gets old and new cameras and lenses and such become available, what works today may not be what you need 2 years from now.

That's why we have a fairly active buy and sell forum. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Great camera wonderful picture quality. I printed 20x24" picture shot with kit lens and it came superb. Coupled with better lenses will make pictures even beautiful. Over all you will be very happy with it. Here are images shot with different lenses You have to tell which one is with Kit lens

328826110_BXU9b-L.jpg

339802135_GyXxR-L.jpg

346496876_bcGVg-L.jpg

1st is with 70-200 f4L and last two are with Kit lens

If i ever departed from 400D the reason would be Size or Gear lust.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    I'm getting ready to sell my XTi, so I went out today and shot a few pics with it.
    These shots have been cropped and post processed.

With a Canon 400L f5.6 lens.
    348184566_HW6kw-O-1.jpg

348184656_jmuwM-XL-1.jpg

With a Canon 300L f2.8is with a 2X TC also.
    348184709_kYE9P-O-1.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited August 9, 2008
    Great camera wonderful picture quality. I printed 20x24" picture shot with kit lens and it came superb. Coupled with better lenses will make pictures even beautiful. Over all you will be very happy with it. Here are images shot with different lenses You have to tell which one is with Kit lens

http://www.awaisyaqub.com/photos/328826110_BXU9b-L.jpg

http://www.awaisyaqub.com/photos/339802135_GyXxR-L.jpg

http://www.awaisyaqub.com/photos/346496876_bcGVg-L.jpg

1st is with 70-200 f4L and last two are with Kit lens

If i ever departed from 400D the reason would be Size or Gear lust.

Gorgeous shots......absolutely.
    edited August 9, 2008
    davev wrote:
    I'm getting ready to sell my XTi, so I went out today and shot a few pics with it.
    These shots have been cropped and post processed.

With a Canon 400L f5.6 lens.
    http://davev.smugmug.com/photos/348184566_HW6kw-O-1.jpg

http://davev.smugmug.com/photos/348184656_jmuwM-XL-1.jpg

With a Canon 300L f2.8is with a 2X TC also.
    http://davev.smugmug.com/photos/348184709_kYE9P-O-1.jpg

Wow yours are great to....... argh this is so hard of a decision to make.
    edited August 9, 2008
    Here is the one descent shot I have taken with my D40 and a 55-200 lens

http://jazzedphotography.smugmug.com/photos/340801464_eSp3x-L.jpg
    edited August 9, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Here is the one descent shot I have taken with my D40 and a 55-200 lens

http://jazzedphotography.smugmug.com/photos/340801464_eSp3x-L.jpg

The thing to remember with my shots is the fact that they were taken with "L" lenses.
    The 400 f5.6 is $1100 and the 300 f2.8 is $4200.
    Although the XTi is a good camera, the lenses used for these shots are the reason they came out so clear.
    dave.

edited August 9, 2008
    davev wrote:
    The thing to remember with my shots is the fact that they were taken with "L" lenses.
    The 400 f5.6 is $1100 and the 300 f2.8 is $4200.
    Although the XTi is a good camera, the lenses used for these shots are the reason they came out so clear.

... and yet the signature, "A couple of cheap cameras, a couple of cheap lenses."? ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    edited August 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... and yet the signature, "A couple of cheap cameras, a couple of cheap lenses."? ne_nau.gif

I'm fairly easy to track down, and not all people are honest.

BTW, I do have 4 kit lenses, and a Fuji MX-700. So, I'm honest.
    dave.

edited August 9, 2008
    davev wrote:
    I'm fairly easy to track down, and not all people are honest.

BTW, I do have 4 kit lenses, and a Fuji MX-700. So, I'm honest.

No problems. I thought it was kind of funny was all.
    ziggy53