Canon Rebel Error 99 question

swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Cameras
Hi. I tried to search around here first and had trouble locating any info on this error.

Has anyone had this before? I googled it and I read all different ideas and reasons for it. It seems its a "catch all" error from lens compatibility to shutter mechanism. To me, based on the sound it made and that it did it on the lens it came with, the shutter thing seems most likely to me but I don't know.

I had bought it at Best Buy and had actually gotten the 4 yr service on it so I was able to take it to Best Buy last night after it happened (I was in the middle of shooting photos of my niece she needed for some photo contest or something) and luckily we got about 50 before it happened. So that night I took it to Best Buy.

They told me that it had to be sent to service and if they determine its not worth the cost to repair I will be a comparable replacement for what I paid for it. Honestly I will be happy either way as long as I have one that works:)

Has anyone had any experience with this error? Is it now a paper weight? Any experience with Best Buy? I just thought I woudl check here to see if anyone could offer any other information.

Thanks
Colleen

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 9, 2008
    Colleen,

It's hard to say what might have happened, but I'm glad, for you, that you purchased the extended warranty and I hope they make it right by you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Colleen,

It's hard to say what might have happened, but I'm glad, for you, that you purchased the extended warranty and I hope they make it right by you.

Thanks. I am glad too. I dont usually but with some electronics I will and I am thankful I did. I just hope it works out well:)
  • nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    It would help to know what you were doing when the error popped up. I got mine by hooking an non-eos lens to an eos tele-extender. Inserting a card that has been written to by your computer after it left the camera has also produced this error for me.
    edited August 10, 2008
    It would help to know what you were doing when the error popped up. I got mine by hooking an non-eos lens to an eos tele-extender. Inserting a card that has been written to by your computer after it left the camera has also produced this error for me.

All I was doing was using the camera. I had the lens it came with (18-55) on it and we were shooting away. All of a sudden it wouldn't take a shot and the shutter sounded like "shikt" instead of "click". I did notice that the week before a few of my photos looked like they had been written to the card on top of each other and thouht it was my card so I trued another.

After the error I took the card and copied the photos that were on the card to the computer so not to lose them and reformat the cards and such. I did then try a different lens and still had the problem. I went to my grandfathers house which was nearby and googled the error for any "quick fixes" and tried letting it sit, chnanging cards,lens and battery etc. Ultimately I took it to Best Buy since I do have the extended service plan.

From what I read there are a variety of things people have experienced with this error. I just wondered if anyone here had experienced and what the turn out was. And if anyone ever used the Best Buy extended waranty. From what the girl said, if they can't fix it, th ey will repalce it with a comparable camera. I will be happy with a fixed one or a new one:)-I just hope it happens soon and doesn't take too long to get back.
  • nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I have never had that happen. If you open a file on the card with PS CS2, it likes to write a file out there so that it can remember the settings next time you open it. The other time, I had hooked a long t-mount lens to my eos extender. Your issue sounds like something else all together. I too am happy you purchased the warranty. I have never taken a camera back to BB, however, my HD TV screwed up and they replaced it like kind on the spot.
    Good Luck
    edited August 10, 2008
    I have never had that happen. If you open a file on the card with PS CS2, it likes to write a file out there so that it can remember the settings next time you open it. The other time, I had hooked a long t-mount lens to my eos extender. Your issue sounds like something else all together. I too am happy you purchased the warranty. I have never taken a camera back to BB, however, my HD TV screwed up and they replaced it like kind on the spot.
    Good Luck

Thanks:) It was so weird to me. Thanks for the info on the card and PS CS2 though too-I usually just bring the photos to the computer then edit from there but it is handy to know:)

I will definately report back on what happens with BB and I am hoping for a positive outcome, whatever it is! The good thing is I did appreciate the guy at Best Buy telling me he couldn't believe my camera looked as good as it did for being 3.5yrs old. Made me feel better that its probably something that was beyond my control.
  • dgenevedgeneve Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2008
    When I got that error on the Rebel XT, it was the kit lens that was causing the problem. No other lens generated the error.
    edited August 10, 2008
    dgeneve wrote:
    When I got that error on the Rebel XT, it was the kit lens that was causing the problem. No other lens generated the error.

Did it get fixed?
  • dgenevedgeneve Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Did it get fixed?

Yes. It was still under warranty. I sent the kit lens back to Canon and they replaced it.
    edited August 11, 2008
    dgeneve wrote:
    Yes. It was still under warranty. I sent the kit lens back to Canon and they replaced it.
    cool.
    thanks. I just checked my status online and says "shipped to repair facility". Yesterday it hadn't shipped yet-the girl told me it would be AT the facility by sunday....I hope I know something soon:)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Sounds like a broken shutter. I think rebels are rated at 50,000 actuations but everyone's mileage varies of course. It may cost about $200 to repair but you can call Canon as well.

If it's under warranty, they may fix it for you as I would suspect that it's covered.
    edited August 15, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Sounds like a broken shutter. I think rebels are rated at 50,000 actuations but everyone's mileage varies of course. It may cost about $200 to repair but you can call Canon as well.

If it's under warranty, they may fix it for you as I would suspect that it's covered.

It seems they are fixI hope they tell me what they fixed:) Then I can report back!
    Thanks!
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    It seems they are fixI hope they tell me what they fixed:) Then I can report back!
    Thanks!

Sweet! clap.gif I hope it's really fixed and definately keep us updated.

I got the dreaded err99 message on a brand new xti whenever the pop up flash was opened that progressed to a constant err99 within 500 shutter actuations. Swapping lenses made no difference. Canon repaired mine under warranty for free. They replaced the flash and mirror assembly in mine.

I hadn't got another err99 on that body until yesterday :cry It's not body related though.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Sweet! clap.gif I hope it's really fixed and definately keep us updated.

I got the dreaded err99 message on a brand new xti whenever the pop up flash was opened that progressed to a constant err99 within 500 shutter actuations. Swapping lenses made no difference. Canon repaired mine under warranty for free. They replaced the flash and mirror assembly in mine.

I hadn't got another err99 on that body until yesterday :cry It's not body related though.

Sorry to hear you got the error again. Can you still get it fixed.

Mine is STILL in repair. Apparently the Best Buy service centers are even slower than I thought although today the woman said they would put an "escalated" call into it or something like that. We will see. apparently they have had it for over a week but JUST today diagnosed the problem!

the saga continues...
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    the saga continues...

...And so are the days of our lives :D

Yeah, I'm sure my lens can be repaired. Luckily, it's not an expensive white one.