Mull and Lightroom 2

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Landscapes
Ok so I finally finished the bulk of my PP from Mull and then Lightroom 2 comes out and now I want to do them all again.

I have to say I'm really liking LR2's ability to make localised changes to exposure, saturation, contrast etc.

Here's one I've been working on, no photoshop on this one:-

348219365_pw7XH-L.jpg

I like it, though I may have overdone it here and there :wink

And here's a B/W tint:-

350690502_QQeSe-M.jpg

Charlie

Comments

• PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Ok so I finally finished the bulk of my PP from Mull and then Lightroom 2 comes out and now I want to do them all again.

I have to say I'm really liking LR2's ability to make localised changes to exposure, saturation, contrast etc.

Here's one I've been working on, no photoshop on this one:-

348219365_pw7XH-L.jpg

I like it, though I may have overdone it here and there mwink.gif

Charlie
    That's really nice, Charlie - congratulations! Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Looking to get LR2 myself in a few weeks! Great image!
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    That's really nice, Charlie - congratulations! Sarah

Thanks Sarah, have you started packing, you must be getting quite excited!

Charlie
    edited August 11, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    Looking to get LR2 myself in a few weeks! Great image!

I have to say I really like it, I've always found PS counter intuitive whereas LR seems to 'fit.'

Charlie
    edited August 12, 2008
    Here's a B/W tint done entirely in LR 2, a bit rough around the edges but I like the overall mood:-

350690502_QQeSe-M.jpg

Charlie
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    I am curious . How did you go about this rendition in LR2 ???
    Wonderful !!!!
    thebigsky wrote:
    Here's a B/W tint done entirely in LR 2, a bit rough around the edges but I like the overall mood:-

350690502_QQeSe-M.jpg

Charlie
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

350690502_QQeSe-S.jpg

Charlie

I love this shot!!! I know that it was a little brighter there at the time but wow what a great interpretation of that evening.

Thanks so much for bringing back a taste of this wonderful trip months later. Sarah was right about the memory banks thing. :D
    edited August 15, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    I am curious . How did you go about this rendition in LR2 ???
    Wonderful !!!!

Thanks Wild Wally thumb.gif

I created a preset a while ago before LR 2 came out, I think it was based around the built in sepia preset but then I made quite a few changes.

I applied that, then I did some experimenting with the new masking to make some localised changes to exposure, brightness, contrast etc.

Finally I applied some subtle toning in the shadow areas using the split toning module and some vignetting.

Charlie
    edited August 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I love this shot!!! I know that it was a little brighter there at the time but wow what a great interpretation of that evening.

Thanks so much for bringing back a taste of this wonderful trip months later. Sarah was right about the memory banks thing. :D

Thanks Schmoo, I'm getting increasingly fed up not having any landscape of interest to shoot, at least of interest to me, I suppose familiarity breeds contempt and I can't find any motivation to shoot where I live.

Fiddling with these old shots cheers me up a bit, I think this evening in Croig was my favourite, it was just a perfect evening of relaxed shooting with great people and great scenery.

And of course Disco Duck

Charlie
    edited August 16, 2008
    I'm still experimenting with LR 2, here's another creation in a similar vein to the shot above.

Eeek, I've had my first ever hangs with LR since upgrading to version 2, which is a bit of a pain.

353039708_xFNUG-M.jpg

Charlie
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Thanks Schmoo, I'm getting increasingly fed up not having any landscape of interest to shoot, at least of interest to me, I suppose familiarity breeds contempt and I can't find any motivation to shoot where I live.

Fiddling with these old shots cheers me up a bit, I think this evening in Croig was my favourite, it was just a perfect evening of relaxed shooting with great people and great scenery.

And of course Disco Duck

Charlie

rolleyes1.gif I had forgotten about that movie! I was so confused about the duck at the time and I know better than the believe everything people tell me on a workshop. mwink.gif

I hear you on the landscapes. It's all how you look at things though. I tend to be a bit negative when it comes to shooting locally. I know that there many nice things to shoot even where I live, as is often shown by the stunning work of local (to me) photogs here on Dgrin and I always feel quite lame seeing their friends views on a land I thought I knew so well.

It is certainly so much easier to find things to photograph in a new country with new friends, that's for sure. But of course such a great opportunity happens less often than we'd like in our lives!

I love your final addition here. It almost looks like an IR shot -- which is perfect considering it was midday. Great work and I love how you keep bringing us back to Mull with your threads. thumb.gif