Grandeur at the end of the line

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
348349857_magrr-L.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Hi Tom. When I saw the thread title I expected to see a grand old railroad lounge car sitting at the end of a rail spur. Took me a few seconds to figure out what this was.headscratch.gif

Nice BW, I like the composition, nice detail in the shadowy areas. What process/method did you use? I keep looking and adding more comment.It just occurs to me that all that hanging moss must make for a real spooky place to be after sundown.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Hi Jack...

Spooky is the word alright. I was there late in the day and, as the sun started falling below the tree line, it became downright eerie.

I don't do a lot of B&W but Microsoft used to sell a program called Digital Image Suite that I found to be very good at doing conversions.

Thanks for your comments, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008

Hi Tom, is it like a Memorial Marker?
    I like the composition of this shot too, would make a cool IR Shot :D

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Skippy,

It's a very elaborate grave stone in the Bonaventure Cemetery located in Savannah, GA. I'm not much on cemeteries but this HUGE place has literally hundreds of the most interesting markers I've ever seen.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Howdy Tom,

What a neat shot, I'll bet that was a errie adventure<G>.

I have to agree Cemeteries have such neat Markers and Things tying us back to the past. Years ago we started wondering what all the different symbols on the Headstones meant, as some of them seemed at the time strange. We happened upon a person that knew what a lot of them meant, so after a little research on the internet yielded a wealth of info.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/cemetery/reid.html

Do you have anymore?
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for your comments and observations. If you ever get anywhere near Savannah, you MUST visit this cemetery. I'm telling you, there are so many awe-inspiring head stones and markers here that you could spend several days and not really see them all.

I plan to go back in a couple of weeks and spend a whole day doing a series on those I find most interesting. It's a difficult place to shoot, however. All the huge oaks and the moss make for hard lighting situations...I may even try some flash shots as evening falls, using a couple of slave units.

See you later, my friend.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for your comments and observations. If you ever get anywhere near Savannah, you MUST visit this cemetery. I'm telling you, there are so many awe-inspiring head stones and markers here that you could spend several days and not really see them all.

I plan to go back in a couple of weeks and spend a whole day doing a series on those I find most interesting. It's a difficult place to shoot, however. All the huge oaks and the moss make for hard lighting situations...I may even try some flash shots as evening falls, using a couple of slave units.

See you later, my friend.

Tom

Howdy Tom,

Sounds like a really great place to shoot and sightsee. They had a program on the TV for a while that featured a lot of the Large Cemeteries up North, so many of them used the top Sculpturers of the time to create their legacies.

So many of them are such History lessons of the past, several times we've gone back home and looked up the names to see who the people were and what kind of lives they led.

I'll see if I can find some of mine from the Archives:D:D:D

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Nice title Tom. I didn't know what to expect. Very good shot.
    Michael
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind comment. Things cooling down out your way yet? Still hotter than blazes here in FL.

Tom