>Mini Challenge #9 - Abstract and/or Minimalist

Comments

• dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Can we replace one of our photos? And if so, should it just be edited in the original post or in a new one? ne_nau.gif

Dave
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    dlibrach wrote:
    Can we replace one of our photos? And if so, should it just be edited in the original post or in a new one? ne_nau.gif

Dave

Replace away! Most folks just edit their original post...but you could also delete your original post and repost if you'd rather. thumb.gif
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Replace away! Most folks just edit their original post...but you could also delete your original post and repost if you'd rather. thumb.gif

Cool!:ivar Just updated my original post to include my new #3. Tanks.:D
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    jrnylst wrote:
    Sunset Drops

352369168_pTvvR-M.jpg

Just beautiful!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    jrnylst wrote:
    tlee, all three of your shots are excellent. I love the white and starkness of Simply Feathered. Eyelash yarn? The water droplets are very eye-catching.

Thank you. The Simply Feathered is a Macro of some very small feathers. I can definitely see eyelash yarn,though...

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Moses Parting The Red Sea
    357337776_BJh8G-XL.jpg

Original photograph raw conversion jpg - http://neilal.smugmug.com/photos/356680268_6JQWu-L.jpg

Canon 40D, 24-70mm F2.8 L USM, DxO, LightZone, Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Any comments appreciated!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Any comments appreciated!

Neil

Neil, a question. I know you put a lot of thought into your images which often contain layers of symbolism. I'm curious about this one, especially how the bubbles fit in. Could you elaborate?

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited August 21, 2008
    Neil, a question. I know you put a lot of thought into your images which often contain layers of symbolism. I'm curious about this one, especially how the bubbles fit in. Could you elaborate?

Emily

Hi Emily, good to get your comment, thanks!

Well, the bubbles... hehe, they only fit in if you think they do!

I couldn't decide whether to put 'em in or leave 'em out. What do you thinK?

Actually, they are there mainly as a composition filler, bit like corn starch, but I like them! And I don't always trust my likes! At least, they have an association with water, but also create the idea of floating, like celestial orbs, where the Power of God given to Moses might emanate from. Sometimes the rocks seem to float, too, so the bubbles might help that suggestion?

Neil

edited August 21, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Hi Emily, good to get your comment, thanks!

Well, the bubbles... hehe, they only fit in if you think they do!

I couldn't decide whether to put 'em in or leave 'em out. What do you thinK?

Actually, they are there mainly as a composition filler, bit like corn starch, but I like them! And I don't always trust my likes! At least, they have an association with water, but also create the idea of floating, like celestial orbs, where the Power of God given to Moses might emanate from. Sometimes the rocks seem to float, too, so the bubbles might help that suggestion?

Neil

A bit of a stretch in conveying your message, but compositionally they work. I typically think of that image as an intense and awesome exhibit of the tremendous power of an almighty God. Bubbles seem to lighten the feel to frivolous whim. ne_nau.gif
    Emily

edited August 21, 2008
    You know, I have to say that I am absolutely floored by the completely awesome images in this thread. Total quality work guys! I started to pick some of my favorites to mention, but there were SO many, that I would add pages to this thread. Just amazing stuff here. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif
    Emily

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    You know, I have to say that I am absolutely floored by the completely awesome images in this thread. Total quality work guys! I started to pick some of my favorites to mention, but there were SO many, that I would add pages to this thread. Just amazing stuff here. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif

I think there's always room for a couple more, put an entry in Emily thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited August 21, 2008
    A bit of a stretch in conveying your message, but compositionally they work. I typically think of that image as an intense and awesome exhibit of the tremendous power of an almighty God. Bubbles seem to lighten the feel to frivolous whim. ne_nau.gif

Yes, I can see what you are getting at. I don't have an alternative at the moment for doing what the bubbles do (?? more rocks, ??angels Laughing.gif...) - which adds something necessary but also, as you say, might bring other things which detract from the feel.

Thanks for the crit.

Neil

edited August 21, 2008
    Oh all right. I don't think I'll have time for fresh shoots, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Gone
    150215458_uZpQz-L-2.jpg

Aglow
    149257503_mittL-L-2.jpg

Forgotten Friend
    226487006_4AqWN-L-1.jpg
    Emily

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Chair
    356616600_QKAS5-L.jpg

Burning Bush
    54028127_Mry5i-L.jpg
    edited August 22, 2008
    Oh thanks, Steven. Not that mine stood a chance anyway, but to be followed by your awesome work...bleh.:bluduh

rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

edited August 22, 2008
    I've edited my original entry on page 10. Have a peek. Better?

Neil

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Oh thanks, Steven. Not that mine stood a chance anyway, but to be followed by your awesome work...bleh.:bluduh

rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, but with the unveiling of your new hairdo and avatar...what other options did I have? To go any shorter with my hair would require me to go bald and I have a funny shaped skull so that wasn't an option. rolleyes1.gif That being said, I don't think mine shots are any better than yours. But with all the other great shots in here, it would just be an honor to be in the honorable mentions. Oh, and thanks again for all the work you are doing in this part of the forum!! thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Sorry, but with the unveiling of your new hairdo and avatar...what other options did I have? To go any shorter with my hair would require me to go bald and I have a funny shaped skull so that wasn't an option. rolleyes1.gif That being said, I don't think mine shots are any better than yours. But with all the other great shots in here, it would just be an honor to be in the honorable mentions. Oh, and thanks again for all the work you are doing in this part of the forum!! thumb.gif

Hey-

What is wrong with going so short it is bald- I recently did that? rolleyes1.gif

I agree- Thanks Emily and Holy Moly there is some amazing stuff in here. I am going to go back and rethink my entries. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited August 22, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    I've edited my original entry on page 10. Have a peek. Better?

Neil

thumb.gif
    Emily

• jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    selective focus
    from a gate using selective focus.
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Listen
    Listencopy.jpg
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • kungalooshkungaloosh Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    356790271_huA7z-M.jpg

291614285_C8GzC-M.jpg

dunno if either of these qualify, but... what the heck.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    First Date????
    356325931_pzVET-M.jpg

I think this is minimalist...but then I have crazy notions on what is minimal..:D

356948797_mCoR7-M.jpg

356947677_MFWCX-M-1.jpg
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 22, 2008
    jrnylst wrote:

Jag, I had to look a couple of times to figure out exactly what the Crystals are (confetti? in a measuring cup?), and I loved being puzzled.

Nope they are sugar crystals my daughter is growing in a glass jar taken outside with the sun behind it. A little selective coloring and walla! wings.gif
    Thanks for the interest.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Colors.
    357099828_cxxyU-L.jpg

Ball.
    357099951_xmHsX-L.jpg

Iron.
    138467265_5nWNt-L.jpg
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    explorish wrote:
    lonely

266781015_t2Sjw-L.jpg

Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-200

Love this shot, great title...The tree says sooo much, it is so barren and so dark it truly makes you feel the Lonliness! Just as in life, you can be surrounded by beauty (which I interpret here as symbolic for family, friends, etc.,) and still feel so alone. I believe we have all felt that feeling at one time or another.

Nice Work and wonderful composition!!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 23, 2008
    Did another re-edit p10 rolleyes1.gif

Don't tell me you hate it :D

Neil

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    What an incredible bunch of great entriesclap.gif! Choosing will be terribly difficult! I'll be out of town today and tomorrow morning so I'll post the results Sunday afternoon.

'til then...
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    At White Sands - Nikon D80, 18mm,f3.5,1/30s
    156846050_F8hQo-L.jpg

Migration - Nikon D200, f5.6,ISO 500, 1/90s -
    106382801_mdWXB-L-1.jpg

a broken CD - Nikon D300, 60mm microNikkor, f10, ISO 400
    263528069_itNdz-L-1.jpg
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Abstract? Minimalism? Oh dear... definitely out of my comfort zone now...

Morning Tea. *

353508507_wcuqV-L.jpg

Reflected Colours. *

353239938_L2d2u-L.jpg

Huge abstracts of land! *

357609189_kMzuE-L.jpg

Edit: re-post with the third piccie :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/