She actually made him smile.

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited April 29, 2005 in People
My Dad is a pretty stoic guy but put him around his grandkids and he is all smiles.

20348772-M.jpg

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    thumb.gif Great capture. I can see the love and joy.clap.gif Very nice.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 24, 2005
    This image is great. When I looked at it, I was struck by the love
    expressed.

Really nice capture.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    that's really beautiful, theres so much joy.
  • Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Am exquisite capture of a priceless moment. Something to be treasured by that little girl for a lifetime!

Excellent work!
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    You know, Dude your always posting images that make me think of me and mine thumb.gif
    Great shot, :D. I'll bet your Dad and I have much in common thumb.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Very touching. Why take the B&W conversion? This looks like on where color would really be a plus, especially when you look back in a decade or so.
    If not now, when?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Very touching. Why take the B&W conversion? This looks like on where color would really be a plus, especially when you look back in a decade or so.
    Rutt I usually prefer BW in pictures like these because I want the viewer to just pay attention to the subjects ad not have to think about anything else but the scene. IMHO the color version while great also doesn't have the same effect. The good thing about digital is I will always have both. Thnxs for taking teh time to comment.
    edited April 24, 2005
    Thnxs everyone for your kind words. This one will definately be treasured for a long time.

Ben if you have alot in common with my Dad than you have to be a great guy. I just hope you smile more than he does..

20372903-M.jpg
    edited April 24, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Rutt I usually prefer BW in pictures like these because I want the viewer to just pay attention to the subjects ad not have to think about anything else but the scene. IMHO the color version while great also doesn't have the same effect. The good thing about digital is I will always have both. Thnxs for taking teh time to comment.

You are the photographer and of course it's your decision. And, of course, you are right about having both. But you did choose to post the B&W, so I infer it's the version you like.

Let me try to clarify my idea about this. I feel just the opposite. Whenever you choose to convert to B&W you are making a decision and imposing an additional level of artistry. B&W is not the natural way we see the world, but rather an artifact of the history of photography. It's not even the natural way modern cameras see the world. So I find that B&W conversions make me pay attention to the B&W conversion instead of the subjects. I ask myself, "Why did the photographer choose to do that? How good is the conversion? Is there a message here that I'm missing."

Unless there are technical reasons for it (such as reproduction in a newspaper) B&W is a statement; good color is transparent.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 24, 2005
    20372903-S.jpg

Ahh. My point is made. Beautiful.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 24, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    20372903-S.jpg

Ahh. My point is made. Beautiful.
    Thnxs again. You always leave me with something to ponder..
  • DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Excellent!!!
    4labs wrote:
    My Dad is a pretty stoic guy but put him around his grandkids and he is all smiles.
    This is a great picture! Nice catch!! thumb.gif
    Love the BW version.
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited April 24, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    This is a great picture! Nice catch!! thumb.gif
    Love the BW version.
    Thnxs Dean I apreciate you taking the time... I keep looking at both versions and I still I like the BW best..
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Like your photo!
    It made me smile too...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    In this case, 4 labs/all those dogs, I do like the color better, it has to do with your father. Somehow I think the interaction on his part comes through better in color.

I change my mind on shots back and forth, I just posted a photo in blk and white (actually I went to sepia) that I think would have been better in color. I will probably change it, if I use it for anything.

ginger
    Rutt, I just wanted to make a sepia photo, no message. I was reading a magazine while some stuff uploaded, saw a sepia photo, decided I wanted to make one and thought of which one would work best. I think I was correct about the subj matter, trees. The problem is that these trees are standing in water and the sepia looks like mud.

Sometimes I don't see things truly til I post, that is why I post sometimes.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    4labs wrote:

Beautiful. I love the feelings this evokes. (oh and I like the B&W here also)
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    that's really beautiful, theres so much joy.
    ...says the man kissing glass!

nice picture labster. thumb.gif
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Beautiful!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Beautiful shot. This is the type of photo that is valued for years to come. Good job!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    great interaction between subjects
    This shot will be treasured for years -what a great memory///Mereimage
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    I've been following this discussion between rutt and others vis a vis B&W and color. The B&W conversion seems very well done to my eye, and I like it a lot, but one difference is that much of the background in the B&W image behind the subjects had been burned completely black and devoid of detail. In the color version, the background is brown and still has some image detail that I find distracting.
    20348772-S.jpg

20372903-S.jpg

I wonder if the color version could not be improved by selectively burning in the background to give the isolation of the subjects that the B&W version has. I think, then, the choice between B&W and color might be much more difficult and shift in favor of the color image.

I took the liberty of trying darkening the background of the color image as an alternative for comparison to either of the two above. Better, worse, horrible, too muddy and dark, or what? This was a quick 5 minute edit and the file is an attachment so keep that in mind in evaluating it,please.

As I look at my edited version it needs better masking in the upper right and near the child's hair, but I think this has some potential. 4labs?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    The color image looks a lot better but I still like the timeless look of
    the black and white.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I love the mood that the b&w brings to the image. great photo, great conversion!

www.screensurge.com
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thnxs everyone for all the kind words. I still can't decide on the color version, maybe just blur the backround a bit without totally burning it?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Labs...thats a fantastic photo.

Do it how YOU want it.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thats a lovely shot doggie ... I bet that would make a nice Kpotd for fathers day :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I like the latest version of the color by PF. It's a sweet shot, and I think the color enhances those emotions. Very nice indeed, 4labsandacorgi.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I like the last shot, and I agree re trying KPOTD, they seem to like theme shots, especially with relationships (people), oh and small frogs.

No, I think this is good for them. Someday.........

I would not like the color so strongly if the father were wearing a wild shirt, or even a patterned shirt..............to me his black shirt is what makes the color the better choice, for some reason. And I like the distractions "burned".
    ala PF.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I still love the black and white version. I saw it and immediately saw that she was making him smile and I smiled! With the color version, I just see happy people. I like to be drawn into a photo and I think the black and white one highlights their faces! I think its a great conversion. Nice job!!
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    With the black and white version i was immediately looking into the eyes.

With the color version it seems that my focus is going to the girls shirt.
    I love the black and white version. way to go.

www.screensurge.com

www.screensurge.com