Options

G9 DPP Question, Help Needed

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Finishing School
I recently purchased a G9 - yes, I know G10 is on its way, but I couldn't wait - anyway, one of the reasons I purchased this camera is for its RAW capabilities. I just downloaded a bunch of RAW files from the G9, I assumed I would use DPP, to process them, as I do RAW files from my 40D, but the CR2 files from the G9 all appear as X's in DPP.

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks! :D

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    sara505 wrote:
    I recently purchased a G9 - yes, I know G10 is on its way, but I couldn't wait - anyway, one of the reasons I purchased this camera is for its RAW capabilities. I just downloaded a bunch of RAW files from the G9, I assumed I would use DPP, to process them, as I do RAW files from my 40D, but the CR2 files from the G9 all appear as X's in DPP.

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks! :D

Maybe you need a DPP update to understand the G9 files? Check Canon's site (which is a real PITA to navigate).

Personally, I use Aperture with the G9's RAW files and it works beautifully. Lightroom can also read/edit them. Both of these programs are far, far superior to DPP.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Maybe you need a DPP update to understand the G9 files? Check Canon's site (which is a real PITA to navigate).

Personally, I use Aperture with the G9's RAW files and it works beautifully. Lightroom can also read/edit them. Both of these programs are far, far superior to DPP.

I'm pretty sure I updated DPP when I installed the G9 softwear. I do not have LR or Aperture, have been pretty happy with DPP, so far. Anyway, it's what I have to work with for now.

This is a little baffling - after all, aren't all CR2 files created equally?

Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    So, I have learned from POTN that DPP, indeed, does not read G9 CR2 files. I think if I had known this, I perhaps would not have been in such a hurry to own one. I see that ZB will edit these files, but I have not been very impressed with ZB editing capabilities so far.

Any other options out there, short of dishing out $299 for LR?

This is a real kick in the pants.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    Ok, so ZB RAW processor is not so terrible - not as bad as I remember the basic editing program to be - will suit my needs for today, finding my way with the G9 - happy so far - great camera. Have a great day. Thanks anyway.