Options

how to eliminate hot spots?

jungjung Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited August 16, 2008 in Technique
Hello I am a newbie to Digital Grin, but I am happy to be here and hope to learn and contribute to the community.

My question is how do you eliminate "hot spots" or bright lights in a photograph? This is important to me because I want to shoot Architectural photographs and more than likely there is going to be artifial lights on the building which create some problems from time to time.

1. Is this something that could be corrected through post processing or better exposure?

Thanks,

Jung
"let your eyes do the talking"

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    jung wrote:
    Hello I am a newbie to Digital Grin, but I am happy to be here and hope to learn and contribute to the community.

My question is how do you eliminate "hot spots" or bright lights in a photograph? This is important to me because I want to shoot Architectural photographs and more than likely there is going to be artifial lights on the building which create some problems from time to time.

1. Is this something that could be corrected through post processing or better exposure?

Thanks,

Jung

Shoot in raw first of all, that gives you maximum headroom in the highlights and shadows.

Postprocessing has it's limits, you can expose for the highlight, but you will then lose much the rest of the image, if the highlight is bright enough. There is however more information in the shadows than in the highlights. The sample you showed might be best served by shooting an HDR stack.

Hope this helps thumb.gif

And welcome to the forum! wave.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Shoot in raw first of all, that gives you maximum headroom in the highlights and shadows.

Postprocessing has it's limits, you can expose for the highlight, but you will then lose much the rest of the image, if the highlight is bright enough. There is however more information in the shadows than in the highlights. The sample you showed might be best served by shooting an HDR stack.

Hope this helps thumb.gif

And welcome to the forum! wave.gif

I am going to go back and do some bracketing with my wide angle but I wasn't sure if HDR will give me the flexiblity to just adjust the light independantly? I was wondering if PS will allow me to grab the hot spot and adjust the levels independantly?

I love the shot so I am fighting to keep the picture alive.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    jung wrote:
    I am going to go back and do some bracketing with my wide angle but I wasn't sure if HDR will give me the flexiblity to just adjust the light independantly? I was wondering if PS will allow me to grab the hot spot and adjust the levels independantly?

I love the shot so I am fighting to keep the picture alive.

Thanks for your help!

You could mask the bright area and put a curve or levels layer on with the mask. If there is detail there it should work.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    HDR is your answer. This is what HDR was made for!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    jung wrote:

Thanks,

Jung

You eliminate hot spots by recognizing them in advance and planning how to deal with them. It may be as simple as turning off the lights with a light switch if you can. Is this bright area a store window or just a bright light? Is there really any image data there in reality? The is no image or contrast here - it all reads 255,255,255.

Using a tripod and shooting several different exposures may be all that is needed to blend the image of the bright window with the surrounding darker environment. This was being done long before HDR.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    bokbaardbokbaard Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I photographed a gate/entrace to a water station once, which was perfect except for this bright lightraping mercury vapour lamp.

So next time round I took a nice piece of white cardboard and cover the lamp :)

The folks didn't seem to mind, and the little light diffusing through the c/b made the lamp look realistic enough in the image.

But thats me, you cant go and cover lamps (albeit temporary) ANY where.deal.gif
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    You can always cheat. :) (Please note that this is a joke. I would never do this,
    or, at the very least, I would put much more effort into it :) )

p156255999-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Thank you all for your feedback I will have to go and re-shoot the photo.

Thanks again.

Jung
    bokbaard wrote:
    I photographed a gate/entrace to a water station once, which was perfect except for this bright lightraping mercury vapour lamp.

So next time round I took a nice piece of white cardboard and cover the lamp :)

The folks didn't seem to mind, and the little light diffusing through the c/b made the lamp look realistic enough in the image.

But thats me, you cant go and cover lamps (albeit temporary) ANY where.deal.gif