Options

First "Pro" Wedding

FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited August 15, 2008 in Weddings
I shot my first wedding as a "Pro" about a week ago, thought I would share a few pics and see what sort of constructive criticism I can get from the more accomplished shooters I see, and whose talent I envy, here on dgrin. Before anyone goes after me too hard for not being "ready" to shoot a wedding I was very upfront with the couple about my experience, and the lack there of and I priced myself accordingly. Photographically the venue left a lot to be desired, no good backgrounds (and none outside either) and once I started processing I noticed a very yellow cast to the ambient light.

I think that technically I'm at least competent (not saying I can't improve, but most of the time I manage to get an picture with acceptable focus and exposure), I think my biggest challenges are with posing and to a slightly lesser extent with general composition. I'm interested to see if the group consenus agrees with my self evaluation. Okay, enough with the explanation I guess I should actually post some pictures:

1. Bride and Father
348423055_t2Hy5-L.jpg

2. You May Kiss the Bride
348432510_Mc9BC-L.jpg%22

3. Flower Girl and Jr. Groomsman
348437887_AEJxL-L.jpg

4. One family
348445573_Q6kXQ-L.jpg

5. Wedding Party
348462441_6STBZ-L.jpg

6. The Kiss

348493526_vLrEE-L.jpg

7. The Dress

348504794_im5ee-L.jpg

8. The Knife

348521600_6RzKr-L.jpg

9. The Cake

348526228_6tCEW-L.jpg

10. The Dance

348535086_H69AP-L.jpg
--Travis

Comments

• Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Welcome to the wedding world! For your first pro shoot i think you did a great job. As you said, the location was not great, but you still seemed to capture some great emotion in many of your shots.

I am not one to comment on color/color cast as i am still working on improving my own technique. But, I can let you know what i like and dislike and maybe make a few suggestions...

#1: i love that moment when the bride first walks into the room and sees her groom for the first time, but the look of the groom is usually even better. I always try to shoot the groom first and then the bride with her father. As for the shot, looks like you were at a low angle when taking the shot. Don't be afraid to get in the way for a few moments! People understand that you are trying to get "the shot".

#4: cropping between the knees and the ankles, imo, looks kinda funny. If you have room, i would try to recrop and maybe take away a little of the top, which is distracting.

#6: I think would be great in b&w. Would bring a different look among the rest of the photos.

#8: Fantastic look on the grooms face! Great shot!

#9: Great composition. Love it!

Again, great job. You have to start some where and I am sure next time will be even better.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Welcome to the wedding world! For your first pro shoot i think you did a great job. As you said, the location was not great, but you still seemed to capture some great emotion in many of your shots.

I am not one to comment on color/color cast as i am still working on improving my own technique. But, I can let you know what i like and dislike and maybe make a few suggestions...

#1: i love that moment when the bride first walks into the room and sees her groom for the first time, but the look of the groom is usually even better. I always try to shoot the groom first and then the bride with her father. As for the shot, looks like you were at a low angle when taking the shot. Don't be afraid to get in the way for a few moments! People understand that you are trying to get "the shot".

#4: cropping between the knees and the ankles, imo, looks kinda funny. If you have room, i would try to recrop and maybe take away a little of the top, which is distracting.

#6: I think would be great in b&w. Would bring a different look among the rest of the photos.

#8: Fantastic look on the grooms face! Great shot!

#9: Great composition. Love it!

Again, great job. You have to start some where and I am sure next time will be even better.

Nicole,
    Thanks for your comments, and especially for your encouragement.

#1 - Very good point about the groom, something I'm going to try to keep in mind in the future... This was one of the smallest venues for a wedding I think I've ever been at, I think there was something like 5 rows of chairs from the back to the front, and I was I had a bit of "tunnel vision" with respect to trying to get entrance shots under the arch at the back of seating area.

#4 - Unfortunately I don't have room on this one, this is another thing I'm going to try and be more aware of moving forward.

#6 - I actually did very little "extra" processing on this entire set, based on the rates I charged and the way I set the contract up it just doesn't make sense to do a lot of processing other than basic exposure/contrast/cropping for this shoot. That being said, this is one of only two images where I did something extra, and I really like the way it turned out:

348495775_4i2tF-L.jpg

#8 - One of the guests had just mentioned an infamous Lorena and I managed to catch the grooms reaction.

#9 - At first it looked like they were going to play "nice" and then she decided to make it interesting, I was glad I kept the camera up and was able to capture it.
    --Travis
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    The expression on the groom in #8 is priceless. Perfect timing. #9 is a great moment as well.

Nice job.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    8. The Knife

348521600_6RzKr-L.jpg

rolleyes1.gif The expression is fantastic!!! Great capture! clap.gif

Aside from the color cast, all your images look great. I think you did a really good job! There's no doubt that your processed b&w image is the best of the bunch.

Keep them coming!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile