Lense Hood

frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited August 12, 2008 in Cameras
hey in what type of situation would i use the hood of my lense for?

do i really need it?

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Hoods are used to reduce flare and from hitting the front element onto things. I use it just about everytime I use a lens.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    hey in what type of situation would i use the hood of my lense for?

do i really need it?

I personally think that once the lens is taken out of the box and attached to the camera the hood should also be on the lens until that lens comes off the cameramwink.gifwinkYOu should always keep the lens hood on the lens.......I have lens hoods attached to both my lenses even while in theoir respective camera bags.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 11, 2008
    A lens hood is almost always a benefit. Unless you absolutely have to use the on-board flash, and the hood casts a shadow on the subject, the advantages of a hood are compelling towards its use.

A short focal length macro lens used at close focus is another time when you might not use a hood.

In other words, use it any time you can and don't use it the few times when you "can't" use it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    thanx for the info guys.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    The lens hood is not only prevent the flare, it also helps to save the lens. It acts like a bumper to protect the front element of the lens. Furthermore, the additional size of the hood can make your lens look biggermwink.gif

Last week, I drop my 3 lbs 70-200 F2.8 lens on the floor. Luckily, the hood landed on the ground first and gave enough time to put my foot for the rear part of the lens to land. Just pick it up, blow away the dust and sand, continue to shoot the rest of the day.bowdown.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    The lens hood is not only prevent the flare, it also helps to save the lens. It acts like a bumper to protect the front element of the lens. Furthermore, the additional size of the hood can make your lens look biggermwink.gif

Last week, I drop my 3 lbs 70-200 F2.8 lens on the floor. Luckily, the hood landed on the ground first and gave enough time to put my foot for the rear part of the lens to land. Just pick it up, blow away the dust and sand, continue to shoot the rest of the day.bowdown.gif

Photoskipper, although ziggy & others frequently admonish taking into account what you want to use equipment for, I don't think they have ever referred to the purpose you describe here - you need a football for that not the great white! deal.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Yes, I did play football a few decade ago. I like it and my feet had been programmed to do so. That is the reason I safed the lens from hitting hard on the ground.

The big white just too heavy and hard to kick.

My point is that the hood really safe the lens. Many times, the hood protect the front lens particularly those "extra" long lens.

Again, for the ultra-wide angle lenses, it is too expensive to get a ultra-slim UV filter for for protection. Shooting without filters can preserve the IQ but risk the convex front glass. The hood helps to prevent the glass scatch foreign objects.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/