Poster/photography

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited August 18, 2008 in Sports
Hey!

I'm making a poster for a martial arts club, I have taken the photos (something i do as often as i can) and tried to make a poster (something i seldom/never do :P )

so c&c on the poster is greatly appreciated, I'm not very good at designing the stuff!
(of course, c&c on the pictures is also allowed :P )
348967201_KZkt8-L.jpg
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I think it came out great...only suggestion is to center the logo at the top

To add more to it...maybe add a semi-transparent Chinese dragon behind the lettering on the bottom

Like this http://www.earthstarshop.co.uk/images/dragon%20plaque%20(Small).jpg

Nice job
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Thanks for your reply and thanks for the tip! not centering the logo was just.. a miss, good that some people have better eyes than me :D

Thanks again! I'll post updates :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Hello it is good. But i think you should remove that white line on the carpet in the larger picture. And make the color tones of top and large image same larger has too much yellow it almost feels like it is not part of poster.

Thanks for listeningthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    well done..clap.gifclap.gif . a logo in the black space on the right side between the lettering would be nice. maybe some kind of logo that is on their shirts.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hey there ulrikft, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    My business does 2 things photography and design, so I know both fairly well. However I cannot critique your poster until I understand a couple of things.<o:p></o:p>
    · What is the intent of the poster? (Student recruiting, student retention, awareness, etc.)<o:p></o:p>
    · Who is the target audience? (Students, coaches, parents, general public, etc.)<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Later.<o:p></o:p>
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    What D.I. said, what is this for?

Im not sure if this will help but here is a poster for an upcoming event. I didnt do the design work, only the photography and cutout. Just thought you might like to see something different.

40Dstupidcomputer524.jpg
    edited August 16, 2008
    Hey there ulrikft, <o:p></o:p>
    My business does 2 things photography and design, so I know both fairly well. However I cannot critique your poster until I understand a couple of things.<o:p></o:p>
    · What is the intent of the poster? (Student recruiting, student retention, awareness, etc.)<o:p></o:p>
    · Who is the target audience? (Students, coaches, parents, general public, etc.)<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Later.<o:p></o:p>

Hey!

The poster is for recruiting new students, and the target mass is.. hmm.. general public (not much parents though, the age limit is 18).

I have tweaked the poster (communicating with the customer doing so). So far we have ended up with something like this:

352237668_eo9Bw-L.jpg

Too much red borders?
    -Ulrik

edited August 16, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    What D.I. said, what is this for?

Im not sure if this will help but here is a poster for an upcoming event. I didnt do the design work, only the photography and cutout. Just thought you might like to see something different.

40Dstupidcomputer524.jpg

Great poster! (and i would love to join the competition :D )
    -Ulrik

• snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    hehe graphic design stuff
    A good combination between graphic design and photography. I like the posters. I wish to join the competition and to win, of coursemwink.gif
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Hey!

The poster is for recruiting new students, and the target mass is.. hmm.. general public (not much parents though, the age limit is 18).

I have tweaked the poster (communicating with the customer doing so). So far we have ended up with something like this:

352237668_eo9Bw-L.jpg

Too much red borders?

humm... to be honest I am not really feeling it... where will this poster be distributed?

I do think I like the layout of the first version better. In my opnion it had better ballance and drew more interest. Also I do not like the red borders either I think they distract from the photo.

Did you design the logo too? I like the logo, but I am curious at to why the "A" in academy is not capalitized
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
    edited August 18, 2008
    The logo is not my work, no.

I could try to remove the red borders and just have some kind of drop-shadow layer-thing to keep the images from the background, or is that non-advicable too?

I must admit that poster design is not my thing at all :) When i see stuff people create I get really envious of their capability of fresh thinking and genuine creativity!
    -Ulrik