Options

Shrinking JPG files and print quality

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited August 12, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Like many of us, I shrink my proof images files down to JPEG 7. I then replace them with the JPEG 10 versions of the files during the proof delay period.

Here are a few questions regarding this:
  1. If I just have the JPEG 7 version of the file sent to print, will my clients notice a loss of quality when ordering prints up to 8x10? How about larger prints? How about just 4x6 and 5x7 prints? If I don't have to replace the files, I would rather not. This is clumsy and time-consuming when dealing with large orders.
  2. When in the order's proof-delay menu, I click "Replace Photo" for each photo, and I am then taken to the "Replace" page for that particular image. Although on the order menu the filenames for the images are listed below the thumbnails, on "Replace" page it shows only the image, but no longer shows the filename. When I am dealing with a large order, I sometimes forget the filename of the image and either have to write them down or go back to the order page. Can the filename just simply be displayed on the Replace menu also, in addition to the thumbnail?
Thanks in advance!!! :D

edit: Also, once I've replaced some files in a gallery, is there any way to know which files have been replaced with the larger JPEG 10 and which are still the smaller JPEG 7?

Comments

• Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    PeterGar wrote:
    Like many of us, I shrink my proof images files down to JPEG 7. I then replace them with the JPEG 10 versions of the files during the proof delay period.

Here are a few questions regarding this:
    1. If I just have the JPEG 7 version of the file sent to print, will my clients notice a loss of quality when ordering prints up to 8x10? How about larger prints? How about just 4x6 and 5x7 prints? If I don't have to replace the files, I would rather not. This is clumsy and time-consuming when dealing with large orders.

The only person who can answer this is you. Upload two versions of the photo. Print them both and then report back whether you can tell a difference.

I look forward to hearing your conclusion. :D
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:
    The only person who can answer this is you. Upload two versions of the photo. Print them both and then report back whether you can tell a difference.

I look forward to hearing your conclusion. :D

I'm kinda hoping someone else has already done the research. mwink.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    PeterGar wrote:
    I'm kinda hoping someone else has already done the research. mwink.gif
    Even if someone had its still a subjective call. Just how much loss of quality is "noticeable"? The answer is different for different people. Some people think MP3's sound just fine. Others like me cringe.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    Even if someone had its still a subjective call. Just how much loss of quality is "noticeable"? The answer is different for different people. Some people think MP3's sound just fine. Others like me cringe.

I get it...
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Why not upload the quality-10 right away?
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Why not upload the quality-10 right away?

To upload 1,000+ proofs from a wedding at 5MB-6MB each takes too long over DSL.