An OLD, OLD brick making machine

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 12, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This machine, according to the manufacturer, is the oldest known example of this model to be in use in the U.S. It is over 100 years old and is used on a weekly basis.

In photo #1, the clay mixture is fed into the rectangular opening on top of the machine. The big, geared wheel drives an auger-type drive that pushes the mixture to the right and extrudes it through an opening at the end.

In photo #2, the swinging " door " at the end can be changed to extrude different shaped blocks....tubular, rectangular, etc. The machine appears to be clogged up but that is just the clay mixture left from the last usage. It is still moist and will be easily extruded.

Photo #3 shows the power that drives the whole affair.

350028986_zY2hv-XL.jpg

350028813_VjGWQ-XL.jpg

350028894_TX378-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Nice and very interesting series Tom. I love that old tractor.

Regards
    Jack

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hey Jack...

Thanks for looking in. That old tractor is a real relic itself. Would you care to guess at the year it was made?

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hey Jack...

Thanks for looking in. That old tractor is a real relic itself. Would you care to guess at the year it was made?

Tom

I'm gonna say 1947 +/- 2 . It looks like one my uncle had when I was a youngster.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Thanks for sharing these Tom. That drive setup in the last shot is
    pretty interesting. :D Michael
    Michael
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hi Michael..

There was more interesting old stuff around this place than I could shake a stick at. They have a huge old steam engine out in the woods that drives all the equipment for a small lumber mill. I've never seen so many power-belt take-offs. Belts were running in all kinds of direction.

Hi Jack...

Well, you're too good. The tractor was made in 1946. The guy said it has never missed a day of work in all those years. Amazing.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Old belt driven machinery. I love it. thumb.gif

Let's see some more, black mamba!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hi Don,

Thanks for looking. We share a passion for this type of old machinery. This guy has graciously consented to spend some time with me when I'm back in the mountains in October. He says he will show me all the different pieces his family has and that he will get the neighbors to show me their's as well.

I'll be sure to get some shots of that giagantic steam engine, and all its associated machinery, that is used at the saw mill. That thing is the " mother-of all " contraptions.

Tom