Starting to get the hang of this

TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited August 13, 2008 in Holy Macro
I'm still learning to use my new XSi and 60mm macro so I went out to the garden to experiment with close-up abstracts. I grow an Asian vegetable called alugbati that has a beautiful deep green spinach-like leaf with a marroon edge and stems.
It was heavily overcast, drizzling on and off, and breezy. Not the best conditions but I was trying to use natural light anyway.

Due to the wind I couldn't get as sharp a result as I'd like, but I kinda like the simple yin/yang composition.
2754923365_d99787aa99_o.jpg

When a wasp landed nearby I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I switched on the built-in flash for these.

Not great (you folks are a tough act to follow!), but better than I thought I'd get. This guy was pretty active, and constantly twitching his antennae.
2754923603_ffedca6630_o.jpg

And another, slightly cropped. Both are f/9 and 1/60sec.

2754923871_120b5f601d_o.jpg

Not perfect, but I'm learning! This forum is great for inspiring me to try new things and just get out there and shoot. Thanks to all the folks that keep it running!

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Nice tries !
    I really loved the 1st one may be add little more pop
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Insects are good but love #1- great composition :)

If it's any help there's lots of stuff on how I do my shots here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Tom wrote:
    I'm still learning to use my new XSi and 60mm macro so I went out to the garden to experiment with close-up abstracts. I grow an Asian vegetable called alugbati that has a beautiful deep green spinach-like leaf with a marroon edge and stems.
    It was heavily overcast, drizzling on and off, and breezy. Not the best conditions but I was trying to use natural light anyway.

Due to the wind I couldn't get as sharp a result as I'd like, but I kinda like the simple yin/yang composition.

When a wasp landed nearby I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I switched on the built-in flash for these.

Not great (you folks are a tough act to follow!), but better than I thought I'd get. This guy was pretty active, and constantly twitching his antennae.

And another, slightly cropped. Both are f/9 and 1/60sec.

Not perfect, but I'm learning! This forum is great for inspiring me to try new things and just get out there and shoot. Thanks to all the folks that keep it running!

Hey nice to see you over here Tom.
    So you getting into Macro are ya whoohooo!! clap.gif awesome!
    I'm sure you will pick it up very fast, by the looks of these shots,
    your doing just fine.

Do take a look at Brian's link, you can learn so much from him,
    and many others on the forum too.

I like your Ying and Yang Vegies and your Wasp thumb.gif
    Nice work Tom ....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • LaurelAnneLaurelAnne Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Hi Tom!
    Love the wasp pictures, and the leaf is really interesting...great work! clap.gif
    Tom wrote:
    I'm still learning to use my new XSi and 60mm macro