2008-2009 School Year

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 13, 2008 in People
In my county, school starts today. All around the community, you can hear the sounds as parents rejoice!! No, just kidding. But seriously, in my family, it’s a big year. I have one niece that is a Junior now, a nephew and niece that are starting their freshman year, and my daughter is in the eighth grade. It’s crazy! How did they get the old? Anyway, the school is already talking about school pictures and after spending way too much money for pictures that stink, my sisters decided to let me take the kids’ school pictures. I can make up packages like the school does, for less money and they look better. So here is what I made up for my sisters.
350292848_wy8Ji-L.jpg
350291132_Biykh-L.jpg
350292064_ctGmP-L.jpg
350291758_UUiA9-L.jpg
350292415_QTpq6-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Very nice idea. I hope your sisters really appreciate the effort you put into the photos.

#1 - The light is awesome!bowdown.gif Love the glow on the older girl's face! This one qualifies as a Yuri shot! And these girlss are so beautiful. Did you, by any chance, do any skin treatment on them? You might want to burn in a few of the hot spots in the background?

#2 - Square on to the camera - not flattering. Background could/should be dialed down a bit - it's a little distracting. Posture!

#3 - There she is again - beautiful! Square on to the camera though. Did you apply a vignette to the photo? If so, you have a color shift at about her elbows that you might want to correct. Bright background.

#4 - Would you look at her eyes!! Slightly over-exposed/bright but that can be fixed. The background is a little bright as well.

#5 - Bright backgrounds. She is a beautiful young lady. The pose is very good but for two small things that need to be fixed: her posture and square on to the camera. A little more fill light for the eyes might be a good thing as well. And what a very nice smile!

Would love to know if you got any really tight shots of their faces. I think, with their eyes, they would be absolutely wonderful shots.

These are some very wonderful photos. FWIW coming from me, I think you can be quite proud of what you've done here!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Scott hit on the same things that I noticed. The first 2 are wonderful. I agree that angling that poses a little bit will dramatically improve the the last 3. thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Okay...
    thumb.gif Nice shots. I agree with what you are saying...school pictures never were much to rave about...usually just a record of your child's being.

I ditto the above comments...background and posing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Love #1! Beautiful. The others (as mentioned) need angles, otherwise nice sharp shots and pretty processing.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Is it just me or there is a strong color cast on them? specially green on #3? check the WB for these... other than that and what others mentioned they are tack sharp thumb.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Here is a closer pic of my neice.

350291969_TkZ5J-L.jpg

I also wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful comments. To be compared to Yuri......oh what a compliment, but I think I have a long way to go before I achieve his greatness. lol

I realized the head-on positioning when I viewed the photos. My nephew is a little harder to photograph because he tends to get a little silly when I take his picture. Maybe that is typical teenage boy? I'm not sure. Luckily, I have these kids around all the time and can take more shots. Of course, my niece LOVES to have her pictures taken and really knows how to work the camera. :D
    edited August 13, 2008
    Here is a closer pic of my neice.

I also wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful comments. To be compared to Yuri......oh what a compliment, but I think I have a long way to go before I achieve his greatness. lol

I realized the head-on positioning when I viewed the photos. My nephew is a little harder to photograph because he tends to get a little silly when I take his picture. Maybe that is typical teenage boy? I'm not sure. Luckily, I have these kids around all the time and can take more shots. Of course, my niece LOVES to have her pictures taken and really knows how to work the camera. :D
    I've been a little hesitant to say anything 'cause I'm viewing these on my POS monitor at work, but I think you may want to look at the skin tones a bit. They seem pretty heavy on the magenta to me. Check out this tutorial for a reference - it might help. Then again, I might be all wet.
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    First of all, I agree with the other posters... these photos look very nice and are much nicer than any they would probably have from school photos.

you have already mentioned the posing straight on...

on my monitor (hand calibrated not a spider or anything) so not entirely accurate the whites of the eyes look a little blue. Which is distracting to me.

All in all, good job. They look great (though maybe a little bright).
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I printed off one of my daughter (8x10) and notice that her face appears a little red. I'm not sure if it's too magenta or the make-up. My daughter got new make-up that appears to make their faces a smidge warmer. Both girls used it that night.

I also thought I saw a little green/blue tint to some, espcially in my daughters white shirt.

I really appreciate all the comments. wings.gif
    edited August 13, 2008
    I've been a little hesitant to say anything 'cause I'm viewing these on my POS monitor at work, but I think you may want to look at the skin tones a bit. They seem pretty heavy on the magenta to me. Check out this tutorial for a reference - it might help. Then again, I might be all wet.
    Nope, I was wrong. I finally had a chance to load this up on a machine with a properly calibrated monitor and PS - and the numbers look good! The skin at her hairline, her neck etc are all good. It appears I was getting confused by the makeup on her cheeks?ne_nau.gif