High School Senior shoots

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited August 27, 2008 in People
These kids are cousins and wanted to try different lighting with them. I still am working on "developing" a style with seniors as there are so many directions to go. Maybe in 5 years I'll figure it out...LOL.

346719053_ZBPLo-L.jpg

349651857_J2YKo-XL.jpg

346711445_f47uY-XL.jpg

350088876_Qr6wq-L-1.jpg

346711494_v3Tyq-L.jpg

349652038_MMrDJ-L.jpg

346854424_JFJPW-XL.jpg

349896928_p5hBY-L.jpg

346711374_fbsn2-XL.jpg

349651910_8zNqB-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking! :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    clap.gif

#3, #6, and #9 really stand out for me. #3 is just awesome!! bowdown.gif

Some of the others seem to have too harsh of shadows. I hope to be this good after another 5 years. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CoryJenksCoryJenks Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Well done. Crisp and clear.

#3 is my fav of the group.
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    #3 is the best of the lot. i also liked #8 & #9.

#1 Seemed flat to me. The light also seemed to pool on her shirt and not her face. I think if you moved to camera left a few feet, moved the light up about 1.5 feet, and used a larger aperture it would be better.

#4 is great except for the harsh shadow camera right. A second flash camera right for some fill and it would be great. Same for #10.

That's my humble opinion

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    David,
    great series, I like the variety! thumb.gif

Couple of gotchas:
    #1: her face is the darkets element in the whole picture. Watch for that white shirt losing details. I would try highlights priority mode here (and in any highkey scenario) if your camera supports it.

#5: watch for the softbox reflection on the guitar deck. SInce it's usually flat it's very easy to avoid - that is, of course, unless you were going for it.

And yeah, I hear you about looking for style...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Thanks guys. The harsh light is intentional. So often it seems we are always trying to minimize the shadows with even lighting (very easy to do). #2 was sidelit from a small softbox camera left, a strip box camera right set to 1:1 ratio. I used a bookend on camera right as the strip box was kind of back behind his shoulder and didn't want lens flare. For a young man I thought the shadow actually adds character to the facial features.

The outside on the bench shots: The camera was metered for him, then I upped the power of flash to create a bit of harsher look. Quite possibly this style isn't for everybody...here the intent was to create shadows.....something different.

I agree #1 seems a bit flat, more about the light on the blouse than the face. Always stretching out and your comments are invaluable. Thanks so much!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    3 and 5 are my favorites. They seem to really capture her personality. Well done!
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    #3 and #6 work the best for me. I like the attitudes of the kids in these ones, but the whole serie is great. Except maybe #1 which doesn't look as "deep" as the other shots.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Lovely photos. I've seen a lot of these threads recently.

Since we don't exactly do these in Canada here - at least we didn't when I was in senior year of high school - could you please give me some history and or explanation of just what senior shots are used for?

Thanks,

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    My opinion.....Laughing.gif we know the value there...is that 3,5,6,and 9 are the choice photographs here. On #9, be careful of low shooting angles like that. It USUALLY isn't flattering shooting up under a chin and can widen hips., but you pulled it off here!thumb.gif

To pick on #1 some more....

She definately needed more light on her face....but maybe or maybe not less on her shirt. Also, shooting against walls can make for nice portraits, but doing it at an angle with a shallower DOF would look more dynamic. Lastly the pose. For viewers, crossed arms usually come off as defensive in nature whether we realize that is why we dislike the photo or not. Portrait taboos= crossed arms, hands stuffed in pockets, and bottoms of feet. Of course rules can always be bent or broken, but doing so may not be a sure thing.

I wondered if the light at the edges of #1 was natural or flash. Not that it matters really, but maybe moving her closer to the source to bring more of it onto her face would have helped. In your shoes, I would visit that wall again sometime as it looks to be a nice backdrop for portraits.
  • bon4irebon4ire Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    3,4 & 7 are my picks
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

To pick on #1 some more....

She definately needed more light on her face....but maybe or maybe not less on her shirt. Also, shooting against walls can make for nice portraits, but doing it at an angle with a shallower DOF would look more dynamic. Lastly the pose. For viewers, crossed arms usually come off as defensive in nature whether we realize that is why we dislike the photo or not. Portrait taboos= crossed arms, hands stuffed in pockets, and bottoms of feet. Of course rules can always be bent or broken, but doing so may not be a sure thing.

I wondered if the light at the edges of #1 was natural or flash. Not that it matters really, but maybe moving her closer to the source to bring more of it onto her face would have helped. In your shoes, I would visit that wall again sometime as it looks to be a nice backdrop for portraits.

Good advice Jeff. Thanks for taking the time. Yes, I will revisit that wall and most likely will use the AB's there. Used an off camera flash bounced against drywall on camera right. Camera left was a reflector from window light. I could probably correct this in post as it was shot in low ISO. I've been playing around with angles with subjects and walls. I've noticed by your examples what you are saying and will implement that. Again, great advice and really appreciate your input. Thanks!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    These are really nice, Dave. I like the lighting effect you were going for in the shots of the male. As for the lady, #7 is my absolute fave, she seems so relaxed and having fun, and I like the lighting you chose for this scene.

Wonderful set!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Lovely photos. I've seen a lot of these threads recently.

Since we don't exactly do these in Canada here - at least we didn't when I was in senior year of high school - could you please give me some history and or explanation of just what senior shots are used for?

Thanks,

Rob

Where I come from your senior year is the only time that you get use a picture of your choice for the year book, not what the school photographer set up.

Typically the prints go to family and friends and wallets typically go into your graduation announcement. Now I also include a some jpegs that the kids can use for their MySpace or FaceBook pages.

It has been evolving in complexity over the several years. When I was a senior my parents set up the shoot at a studio. We did like 30 minutes of pictures and were out the door. My parents then ordered 8x10 for all the grandparents and a bunch of wallets for the announcements. Some of my friends set up a location shoot. The photographer took a van load of kids to Silver Falls and took a few shots, and made a major up-charge for location.

Today the expectations I see are much higher. It's almost like doing a mini-wedding. Everyone expects a location shoot, and personal attention. No cattle call shots at the waterfall. Of course people are spending a lot more money too. My packages run from $500 to $900. I know one guy here that averages just under $1500 per session.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Where I come from your senior year is the only time that you get use a picture of your choice for the year book, not what the school photographer set up.

Typically the prints go to family and friends and wallets typically go into your graduation announcement. Now I also include a some jpegs that the kids can use for their MySpace or FaceBook pages.

It has been evolving in complexity over the several years. When I was a senior my parents set up the shoot at a studio. We did like 30 minutes of pictures and were out the door. My parents then ordered 8x10 for all the grandparents and a bunch of wallets for the announcements. Some of my friends set up a location shoot. The photographer took a van load of kids to Silver Falls and took a few shots, and made a major up-charge for location.

Today the expectations I see are much higher. It's almost like doing a mini-wedding. Everyone expects a location shoot, and personal attention. No cattle call shots at the waterfall. Of course people are spending a lot more money too. My packages run from $500 to $900. I know one guy here that averages just under $1500 per session.

WOW!

Thanks for clarifying this. Sounds like a *very* good gig if you can get it and pull it off. Here in Canada, at least when I was senior 20 years ago, we stuck to the gym snapshots you described above.

Nothing fancy.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I like 3/6/7/9, number 3 being my favorite!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Great Photos!

I like #3 & #4 the best.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    wow
    awsome pictures.
    I really likes all!
    good job!
  • ttbestttbest Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Senior photos
    Loved the pictures. Can you tell me what you shoot with? I have a portrait lens (cannon 1.8 50mm) and that's great for head and shoulders. However, I love the depth to senior pictures with walls and greenery and bridges etc. I don't think I can capture that with what I have.
    -Tanya
    Swartzy wrote:
    These kids are cousins and wanted to try different lighting with them. I still am working on "developing" a style with seniors as there are so many directions to go. Maybe in 5 years I'll figure it out...Laughing.gif.

346719053_ZBPLo-L.jpg

349651857_J2YKo-XL.jpg

346711445_f47uY-XL.jpg

350088876_Qr6wq-L-1.jpg

346711494_v3Tyq-L.jpg

349652038_MMrDJ-L.jpg

346854424_JFJPW-XL.jpg

349896928_p5hBY-L.jpg

346711374_fbsn2-XL.jpg

349651910_8zNqB-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking! iloveyou.gif