Pyro -Elements First Try

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited August 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I'm thinking I won't be the only one tryng to do all 4 elements in this manner but here is my take on it. I may be reshooting some of them however. So what do you think?

All 4
elements1.jpg

--edit--
All 4 ver2
elements2.jpg

Cultivating the Earth
elements_earth.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Each individual photo is lovely. thumb.gif The leaf and water droplets are awesome.

But I'm not sure how well a quadtych shot will be received. I've seen some lovely triptych and quadtych shots entered in the past and the judges seemed to just gloss over them. Just my 2 cents' worth ne_nau.gif.
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I really think your going to have to pull something spectacular off given the level of the competitors. I think these shot are really great especially the water drops! I just don't think this will have the umph necessary. I would probably recommend focusing on one element or work on trying to get several in one shot.
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I agree with the others.
    water = good
    earth = good
    flame = meh
    air = meh
    all 4 together = meh
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    pyro, i think your concept is good, it occured to me to do something like that but i decided on other avenues...
    ...my suggestion:
    i think the kelvin temp on them maybe should be balanced??? it looks odd to me to have them all so far apart...ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I also like the concept.
    I think this is going to be a superbly tough round though... especially since people are planning trips to Hawaii for to get their contest shot!
    I think you can run with the idea, but the pictures may need to be more extreme takes. Think Monsoon. Volcanic eruption or people running from pyroclastic flow. Hurricane winds.
    Seriously, good luck. I think you have to open this box and look out though.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Each individual photo is lovely. thumb.gif The leaf and water droplets are awesome.

But I'm not sure how well a quadtych shot will be received. I've seen some lovely triptych and quadtych shots entered in the past and the judges seemed to just gloss over them. Just my 2 cents' worth ne_nau.gif.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "Go shoot!" :-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    I agree with the others.
    water = good
    earth = good
    flame = meh
    air = meh
    all 4 together = meh

The Colors in Water and Earth are rich, while the Flame and Air aren't exactly as strong. Consider Re-Shooting Fire and Air to obtain the same color balance as is present in Water and Earth, and I think this concept could be well executed.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
    edited August 15, 2008
    Pyro and I do not live far from each other and we had some fierce storms pass through the area early yesterday evening. The band I'm in was scheduled to give a concert last night in the town next to where Pyro lives and it got rained out.

But that wasn't lightning we saw -- it was probably his camera's flash going off! 9496500-Ti.gif

Just kidding!

Hope you were able to take advantage of the "elements" last night, Pyro. :ivar
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Pyro and I do not live far from each other and we had some fierce storms pass through the area early yesterday evening. The band I'm in was scheduled to give a concert last night in the town next to where Pyro lives and it got rained out.

But that wasn't lightning we saw -- it was probably his camera's flash going off! 9496500-Ti.gif

Just kidding!

Hope you were able to take advantage of the "elements" last night, Pyro. :ivar

No, but I'll be shooting this weekend. Don't worry i got some ideas =c)

There is more than a good chance i will be sticking to one element instead of 4, or maybe go in a different direction altogether.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    All right I'm still working on these but meanwhile:

All 4 ver2
    elements2.jpg

Cultivating the Earth
    elements_earth.jpg

Any feedback =c)?
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I really like the composition of Cultivating the Earth - but it doesn't WOW me. I'm thinking for this contest it's gotta have that WOW Factor. deal.gif How about adding water to it or a worm coming out of it? :patch

The All 4 doesn't draw me in - though each photo is fantastic on their own.

This is a toughie - I'm still shooting. :bash
    edited August 18, 2008
    the earth image i like best.
    what do you think about having it as a pov of the holder?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 18, 2008
    or a direct on shot as if receiving it
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 18, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I really like the composition of Cultivating the Earth - but it doesn't WOW me. I'm thinking for this contest it's gotta have that WOW Factor. deal.gif How about adding water to it or a worm coming out of it? :patch

The All 4 doesn't draw me in - though each photo is fantastic on their own.

This is a toughie - I'm still shooting. :bash

15524779-Ti.gif

BTW -- VelvtRide, I'm still shooting too. :hang
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    BTW -- VelvtRide, I'm still shooting too. :hang

I'm trying not to stress about it. lol3.gif