Options

Color to B & W Question

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited August 16, 2008 in Technique
Hey Guys,

OK - this is probably gonna sould like a realy amateurish question. Know how in the olden days if you wanted black & white, youi shot with B & W film. Today, with digital and digital software, a color can be made into a B & W with the click of a button. Is it considered just as legit to offer a B & W print via that software click of that button, as it was to have shot with B & W film in the past? I'm saying "Yes", but, a little birdie is telling me to pose the question.

Thx,

Tom
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    It's the same as it ever was.

In the olden days, you would manipulate the darkness of different colors on B&W film by putting a colored filter in front of the lens. That was on top of the fact that different types of B&W film was engineered for specific responses to colors, in other words the film and filters you picked controlled your color-to-B&W conversion.

With digital, the serious B&W enthusiasts don't simply click a button to convert. They use B&W conversion controls to massage the conversion from color to B&W to get exactly the look they want, just like they did with the old films and filters. It's all the same.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    It's the same as it ever was.

In the olden days, you would manipulate the darkness of different colors on B&W film by putting a colored filter in front of the lens. That was on top of the fact that different types of B&W film was engineered for specific responses to colors, in other words the film and filters you picked controlled your color-to-B&W conversion.

With digital, the serious B&W enthusiasts don't simply click a button to convert. They use B&W conversion controls to massage the conversion from color to B&W to get exactly the look they want, just like they did with the old films and filters. It's all the same.

OK - Excellent! - Thx a lot
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    I process many shots as color and as B&W and decide later which I truly prefer, both from the same RAW file.

304365598_5c8dT-L.jpg304366209_RGBuF-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I process many shots as color and as B&W and decide later which I truly prefer, both from the same RAW file.

304365598_5c8dT-L.jpg304366209_RGBuF-L.jpg

OK, cool, Pathfinder - Appreciate the tip!

Tom :D
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    I often know going in that I want a particular shot in B&W. I tweak the conversion with colour weighing, contrast - and graininess. I sometimes turn noise management off all together and push the sharpness to bring out the grain and grit.

B&W takes just as much work to get right as colour.

So the answer to your question, is B&W an equal of colour as the end product with digital formats, definitely yes.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 16, 2008
    I agree that some shots are planned at the time of shooting to move to B&W. Strong contrasty lighting, with strong elements of shape, rather than color, lead me to think about B&W conversion at the time of shooting.

But there are also times, when I shoot an image, thinking I will process it in color, that I later decide it has potential as a B&W also. That is one of the beauties of shooting in digital. Pixels are freethumb.gif

Chapter 7 of Margulis Professional Photoshop is about B&W conversion

Lightroom makes B&W conversion very easy these days also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin