Options

Portraits of a bride

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Weddings
Just started working on some wedding photos and thought I would share some photos / headshots of the bride.

She was sitting at the window / natural light (no flash)

c&c welcome :D

350815986_WGQ3u-L.jpg

350813888_txK7v-L.jpg

3. 350811173_M29Ax-L.jpg

350799995_cTPiU-L.jpg

350804149_R7iHb-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Oooh la la! Now we are talking (#1 & #5 are my picks of the litter) Great eyes!

(They might possibly be a little magenta-ish, but I am loving it regardless and don't mind if they are just a skoash in that direction.)
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Thanks Heather thumb.gif Yeah ... I see your point about the magenta .. hmmmmm, should be an easy fix. headscratch.gif

I usually also fix the "blue" veil (speaking of being a bit off) ... but for some reason, I though I would keep it this time ...
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    i am so digging the colors, light and processing. Please pretty please, with sugar on top, describe how you did them. I love these...geez...more ideas...of course the next shoot, I'll loose all those "gotta try this" ideas. That is sweet work!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Haha, thanks Swartzy!!! iloveyou.gif

I actually didn't do much to them. A bit skin-love .... a bit dodge & burn ... I promise, no secret secrets! I think the skin smoothing was the biggest thing ... - Well ... ok ... , I do have a secret agent that just started working for me - My new Nikkor 50 (1.2). Money well spent. HOORAY iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust
  • Options
    bon4irebon4ire Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Great shots! 1,3 & 5 hits me the most.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Thanks for the comment Bon4ire thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I think I'm going to be a dash of cold water on on these warm fuzzies you've been getting - sorry

#1 is my pick of the group. Since you mentioned "skin-love" I think you might want to take a closer look at the shadow line on her right cheek. The line's not smooth - I think I can see the circles from your brush strokes.

The rest of them are too high-key for my taste - but that's just my taste and it's no winner. In these I think you loose a lot of the contrast detail of the eyes.

That having been said, I would love to have just a little of the artistic touch you have! I am definitely going to have to push my next bride a bit into sitting next to a window for me! These are just the inspiration I need to push the issue a bit.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I love the high key and eye isolation in these. She does have some stupendous peepers and you brought them center stage. thumb.gif

I like the overexposed skin look, but it bugs me a bit when I can't see the nose. I bet in print the shadows look better than on my crappy work monitor.

#1 is definitely my fave, followed closely by #4. FWIW, I looooove the "blue veil" effect. It is very artsy and modern while still remaining quite beautiful and classic.

Congrats on the new lens....you put it to great use!!!

Did you use any reflectors in this set?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    # 1, 2, and 3 are my faves but I love them all! You really have great handle on high-key and the processing is superb! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008

That having been said, I would love to have just a little of the artistic touch you have! I am definitely going to have to push my next bride a bit into sitting next to a window for me! These are just the inspiration I need to push the issue a bit.

Don't push too hard Scott, she might be bigger than you rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    I think I'm going to be a dash of cold water on on these warm fuzzies you've been getting - sorry

#1 is my pick of the group. Since you mentioned "skin-love" I think you might want to take a closer look at the shadow line on her right cheek. The line's not smooth - I think I can see the circles from your brush strokes.

The rest of them are too high-key for my taste - but that's just my taste and it's no winner. In these I think you loose a lot of the contrast detail of the eyes.

Haha, thanks Scott! No worries, I was already expecting some cold water on these! rolleyes1.gif I'll go back and fix her cheek, boy you have a good eye! :whip
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Thanks for the comment urbanaries & Travis iloveyou.gif

(No .... I didn't use any reflectors on these, just the light through the window ... and you are right urbanaries, I'll bring out the nose a bit more ... - Thanks for the comment!)
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Angie,

Another amazing post. #'s 1 & 3 are, in a rather descriptive manner, the ShizNizzle! I love this high-key stuff....very effective with her stunning eyes! Was this the 50 1.2?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    Angie,

Another amazing post. #'s 1 & 3 are, in a rather descriptive manner, the ShizNizzle! I love this high-key stuff....very effective with her stunning eyes! Was this the 50 1.2?
    HAHA!!! "the ShizNizzle" ??? rolleyes1.gif Thanks Idlewild!!! iloveyou.gif (#1 is my favorite as well) :D Yup, it's the magical 50 (1.2) Lens. Works wonders!! :ivar
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Gotta agree, the eyes are amazing! I really like the post processing you did, it creates a very neat effect.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Thanks Shima iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Angie,
    I like the compostion/framing. thumb.gif
    Light/treatment - not so much, but that's just me. ne_nau.gif
    I love my shadows and more natural skintones...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Angie,
    I like the compostion/framing. thumb.gif
    Light/treatment - not so much, but that's just me. ne_nau.gif
    I love my shadows and more natural skintones...mwink.gif

Haha, no worries ... thanks for the comment thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Im not totally crazy about #2, but am digging the composition in all of the others. These are a tad high key for me as well, and though I like where you were going with the softness, I think it is just a bit too much of it.

These are beautiful photos. It sure is fun when the shots turn out well enough to inspire us to experiment and give them our best in PP.

Nice!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Im not totally crazy about #2, but am digging the composition in all of the others. These are a tad high key for me as well, and though I like where you were going with the softness, I think it is just a bit too much of it.

These are beautiful photos. It sure is fun when the shots turn out well enough to inspire us to experiment and give them our best in PP.

Nice!thumb.gif

ne_nau.gif .... oh well ... haha ... you can't make everybody happy thumb.gif Thanks for the comment