Options

How to shoot sports?

hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited June 1, 2004 in Technique
I am trying to learn some sports photography techniques. I want my images to capture the motion and excitement of sporting events along with the people involved. I have taken a few at the kart track and would like some feedback on what I have so far.

Some examples:

3390048-L.jpg

3396632-L.jpg

3396640-L.jpg

3396647-L.jpg

3396652-L.jpg

3396642-L.jpg

3396645-L.jpg

3396638-L.jpg

3396654-L.jpg

3396651-L.jpg

Enough for now. Please unload with suggestions/critique. I wanna learn!

Do the techniques used for motorsports apply to stick and ball games?

Hutch

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    You already have some nice stuff, hutch.

While waiting for the experts to jump in, here are some thoughts garnered from watching and listening....

(And these are JMHOs, of course!)

* If you have a moving vehicle, fill your frame with it, unless you're going for a specific effect by shooting wider.

* It's really nice when the shots of moving vehicles capture the speed. The cool shots have really blurred backgrounds as the camera tracks the car, and also blurry moving parts on the car, like the wheels, but the rest of the car is sharp. The keys seem to be not only getting the right tracking, but also the right exposure time so the blurry bits stay blurry.

So for example, your 9th shot is the only one that comes close. Your 1st, 7th and 8th shots are nice, but don't give the sensation of speed.

* Another approach is like your 3rd shot - even most of the car is blurry, except one part that's in focus. Really gives the sensation of speed. I've only tried it once, here was my result.
    3094577-S.jpg

So for me, #3 is the only one that really captures the excitement and movement of your subject.

* WRT stick-and-ball, if you look at SI and other magazines, it seems to me that they're trying to do the opposite. Instead of giving the sensation of motion, they're trying to freeze motion. They're letting you see an instant in time that passes so quickly that your eye almost misses it in real time. But a powerful sports photograph freezes that event, and lets you see if from a completely different perspective.

At times, it appears as if the laws of nature are being defied, because motion is so entirely absent from the shots. Of course, there are tons of exceptions! Like guys sliding into a base with dirt flying, or the QB's arm in a blur of throwing even as he's hit. But overall, stick-and-ball sports photography seems to be about freezing the moment that your eye might normally miss, whereas motosports photography seems to be about expressing the speed and beauty of the machines.

Again, just my amateur opinions. BTW, I covet either the 1D or the 1DmkII for their ability to fire 8 frames per second... makes all the above a whole lot easier to achieve!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2004
    Waxy,

Thanks and I agree with your comments. But on the other hand if you only shoot blurred background motion shots, I think you might as well only shoot stop action. I think it takes a combination of differernt techniques for and interesting photo essay of an event. With that being said, I don't these captured what I was looking for.

I also like #s 6 & 8. 6 because the kart is blurred and not the background, and 8 because it tells a story. This kid is coming out of a tight corner with his hand on the shifter and is about to shift up while turning.

I don't think there is an easy answer. I will keep trying and maybe, just maybe, eventually it will come a little easier!

BTW, these are all crops from larger images. My attempt to show motion with position. You are the king of crops - do they work or not?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Hutch
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2004
    nod.gif I agree. I read the F1 magazines quite often, and I see how they shoot the cars - lots of emphasis on implied motion.

Thanks for remembering that I am, in fact, full of crop. I like your crops, save perhaps for #6 and #9. Very nice on the family in #4 and the blur car in #3. It's fun practicing too, huh? mwink.gif

I'm trying a different kind of challenging shooting: a band in small clubs with low light, and what light there is is either red or blue.
    The score so far: Bad Light 2, Wxwax 0. But there's a lot of time left in the game. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You already have some nice stuff, hutch.

* WRT stick-and-ball, if you look at SI and other magazines, it seems to me that they're trying to do the opposite. Instead of giving the sensation of motion, they're trying to freeze motion. They're letting you see an instant in time that passes so quickly that your eye almost misses it in real time. But a powerful sports photograph freezes that event, and lets you see if from a completely different perspective.

At times, it appears as if the laws of nature are being defied, because motion is so entirely absent from the shots. Of course, there are tons of exceptions! Like guys sliding into a base with dirt flying, or the QB's arm in a blur of throwing even as he's hit. But overall, stick-and-ball sports photography seems to be about freezing the moment that your eye might normally miss, whereas motosports photography seems to be about expressing the speed and beauty of the machines.

An example of freezing with some motion too....

1215331a.jpg

Click the image for a full size jpeg.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2004
    nod.gif And that's also an example of what I meant about defying the laws of physics. Try standing like that for a while.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited April 12, 2004
    Hutch,

Nice stuff. I like the motion. Helps convey the speed.

Your stills are nice too. The family cracks me up. The kid towards the
    end is focused. Everyone else seems to be somewhere else.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2004
    How I shoot sports
    I'm an ex-shifter karter myself. I've also photographed a lot of race cars and karts and motorcycles. What I do is shoot (usually) on shutter priority and I try not to go above 1/250 a second. Usually I try for the neighborhood of 1/100th. This will require you track the vehicle, and may result in parts of the car being a little blurry. To me this is ok and can help convey the speed. Getting at least some tire blur is essential. Tracking a moving object takes practice to keep the vehicle itself in the same part of the frame.

Do not use an image stabilized lens if you try to track a moving object.

A car in a turn, coming just past you, can be especially nice because of the depth involved. Other things that can make this turn out nice is when stuff in the background is far enough away to be out of focus, motion blurred as you track the moving car, or both. Also what works great is if you don't try to capture the entire car in the shot. Zoom in and get only part of it. See my racing pics of Porsches on my site, mercphoto.smugmug.com. Look for a black 911 with the number 27 on it. You only see about 2/3rds the car, but the effect is really cool.

Somtimes I will go for a fast shutter if I want to stop all motion or to have a deep depth of field, but this is not often.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2004
    Speed Shot
    Shot this last weekend, liked the blur around the rider. I did shoot it with an image stabilized lens, curious why you don't suggest using one.

4184987-L-1.jpg

Deacon
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    Cool motorcycle rider
    Cool photo. You asked why I don't recommend using IS lenses when panning. Your photo makes me want to try it again. Seemed to me before that that IS gets in the way when the lens is not stationary. In fact, Canon alludes to this in their instruction manual to my lens.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    Deacon wrote:
    Shot this last weekend, liked the blur around the rider. I did shoot it with an image stabilized lens, curious why you don't suggest using one.

4184987-L-1.jpg

Deacon
    Hey Deacon,

Was this taken at PIR?

Let me know the next time there are bike races. I'd love to come over and burn some film, I mean memory!

Hutch
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 14, 2004
    Deacon wrote:

4184987-L-1.jpg

Deacon
    That's photoshopped right? If not, that is the weirdest blur halo effect I've ever seen!

I'm guessing it has to be just based on the odd bit of sharpness at the tire's contact patches - extract tool? blurring the background?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm an ex-shifter karter myself. I've also photographed a lot of race cars and karts and motorcycles. What I do is shoot (usually) on shutter priority and I try not to go above 1/250 a second. Usually I try for the neighborhood of 1/100th. This will require you track the vehicle, and may result in parts of the car being a little blurry. To me this is ok and can help convey the speed. Getting at least some tire blur is essential. Tracking a moving object takes practice to keep the vehicle itself in the same part of the frame.

Merc, great advice, thanks. Always wondered what the right shutter speed was. You'll need a dSLR to do this right. I tried shooting planes landing and taking off this week. Impossible to track with a G3 in burst mode because as soon as you hit the trigger, the screen goes blank. And the viewfinder doesn't have a lot to do with what ends up in the frame. Clearly, it takes lots of practice to adjust your panning speed as the machines get closer to you, and then whip by.

4251341-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    I scored a photo credential for the Lime Rock Grand Prix this weekend in Connecticut. I hope to remember what I learned here and try it out. I'll be sure to post a few samples of what I come back with. Any recommendation as to how much memory I should bring along? 3 day weekend, I will be shooting Saturday and Monday. Shooting w/my Digital Rebel.

Thanks,

-Doug
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I scored a photo credential for the Lime Rock Grand Prix this weekend in Connecticut. I hope to remember what I learned here and try it out. I'll be sure to post a few samples of what I come back with. Any recommendation as to how much memory I should bring along? 3 day weekend, I will be shooting Saturday and Monday. Shooting w/my Digital Rebel.

Thanks,

-Doug

If it were me, I'd bring a bagful. I know I could easily go through at least 1GB a day, and I'm only shooting at 4mp.
    Sid.
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    I'm an avid motorcycle racing fan and have photographed a number of such events. I still have a ton to learn but maybe I can offer a few tips. First, I'll emphasize what others have already said about shutter speed. Remember the golden rule about shutter speed being equal (or slightly quicker) than the focal length of the lens you are using. A couple weekends ago I was shooting at 1/250 through a 210mm lens and enjoyed a far higher "keeper" percentage than I have in the past when using slower shutter speeds. There was still plenty of implied motion in the images, although this of course will vary depending on the actual speed of your subject and the distance/angle from which you are shooting.

Second, like in any kind of photography, pay careful attention to what will be in the background of your pictures. An excellent capture of action can easily be spoiled by a busy or distracting background.

Third, be on constant lookout for unique angles and, as waxy said, don't be afraid to use a wide lens to capture a larger scene. The pros with the media passes and monster glass will capture plenty of closely cropped shots. Take the opportunity to produce something different.

Lastly, pay careful attention to the action going on in front of you and try to capture images of the most dynamic moments. For example, when shooting motorcycle racing I like to position myself to capture a rider just as he applies the brakes. Such an image, IMHO, is more compelling than an image of a rider flying down the straight.

I've rambled enough for a novice. :D

Although the following pictures were captured with my 35mm SLR (Sorry! I’ve only had the dSLR a few days . . . ) I think they illustrate what I’ve tried to explain above.

Clean background and a dynamic moment for rider and machine.

777497-M-1.jpg

Similar, except with a slower shutter speed, which in this case worked out okay, I think

777494-M-2.jpg

More dynamism

777516-M-2.jpg

4351978-M.jpg

A wider angle
    4351979-M.jpg

4351990-M.jpg

I just like this one. :D
    4351980-M.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    Remember the golden rule about shutter speed being equal (or slightly quicker) than the focal length of the lens you are using. A couple weekends ago I was shooting at 1/250 through a 210mm lens and enjoyed a far higher "keeper" percentage than I have in the past when using slower shutter speeds.
    Would you mind elaborating here a bit for me? Actually, could you just explain what you mean? What exactly is the correlation between the focal length and the shutter speed?

For reference, this weekend I will be shooting using a digital SLR with 2 telephoto zooms. One lens I will be using is a 135-400mm, f4.5-5.6 and the other is a 100-300mm, f4.5-6.7.

Thanks,

Doug
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Would you mind elaborating here a bit for me? Actually, could you just explain what you mean? What exactly is the correlation between the focal length and the shutter speed?

For reference, this weekend I will be shooting using a digital SLR with 2 telephoto zooms. One lens I will be using is a 135-400mm, f4.5-5.6 and the other is a 100-300mm, f4.5-6.7.
    The longer the focal length the more difficult it is to capture a clear, steady image. The magnification factor of the longer lens exaggerates any instability in your hands/tripod.

If there is some specific science behind the "shutter speed should equal lens focal length" rule, I'm not aware of it. I just know it works. :D

Keep in mind that most digital SLRs have their own magnification factor, typically in the neighborhood of 1.5. So that 400mm zoom of yours, when attached to a dSLR, is equivalent to a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera.
    Tim
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    If there is some specific science behind the "shutter speed should equal lens focal length" rule, I'm not aware of it. I just know it works. :D
    When there is camera movement it causes a deflection of the aim that can be hidden by a shutter speed that is fast enough restrict the movement to less than what will be noticeable.

A 28mm lens has a 75 degree field while a 300mm lens has an 8 degree field. Now lets suppose that your camera movement is causing a .3 degree deflection over 1/10 of a second. An exposure of 1/30 cuts that to 1/3 of that which is .1 . On the 28mm lens that is 1/750 of the field but on the 300mm with its 8 degree field it is a much more noticeable 1/80 of the field. Cut the exposure down to 1/300th and it is 1/800 of the field.

Now it is obvious that learning to be more still is a big help, but less obvious that the size of the enlargement also has an effect. If you are making large prints then you should use 2X or even 3X the focal length because the motion blur has been enlarged along with the image.

Hope all this is understandable.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    Oh man...
    headscratch.gif This sounds a lot like Math. I knew picking up that camera would cause some headaches. :-)
    cmr164 wrote:
    When there is camera movement it causes a deflection of the aim that can be hidden by a shutter speed that is fast enough restrict the movement to less than what will be noticeable.

A 28mm lens has a 75 degree field while a 300mm lens has an 8 degree field. Now lets suppose that your camera movement is causing a .3 degree deflection over 1/10 of a second. An exposure of 1/30 cuts that to 1/3 of that which is .1 . On the 28mm lens that is 1/750 of the field but on the 300mm with its 8 degree field it is a much more noticeable 1/80 of the field. Cut the exposure down to 1/300th and it is 1/800 of the field.

Now it is obvious that learning to be more still is a big help, but less obvious that the size of the enlargement also has an effect. If you are making large prints then you should use 2X or even 3X the focal length because the motion blur has been enlarged along with the image.

Hope all this is understandable.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    Hutch, yes it was shot at PIR on BMW track day. I will check their schedule or do a search for PIR and OMMRA for dates/times. They are really good about allowing photogs on track. You simply sign a waiver and they give you a wrist band or orange vest for complete access. Let me know whDen and if you are coming and you are a welcome house guest.

Doc, I found it hard to believe too, but only photoshop was a minor crop. I did have to send the D2H back to Nikon last week for a memory problem. I was getting partial frames/magenta overlays and blank frames. Maybe this was a one time screw-up prior to failure.

Deacon
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That's photoshopped right? If not, that is the weirdest blur halo effect I've ever seen!

I'm guessing it has to be just based on the odd bit of sharpness at the tire's contact patches - extract tool? blurring the background?
    ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    You motorcycle guys will like this. My friend John, he works for H&R springs in Bellingham, Washington. Big rider, been riding all over the planet. Just got back from a New Zealand trip on a BMW. Check out that and his USA trip as well here:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnnydanger/

Enjoy!

-Doug
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    Shutter speed versus focal length
    Keep in mind that most digital SLRs have their own magnification factor, typically in the neighborhood of 1.5. So that 400mm zoom of yours, when attached to a dSLR, is equivalent to a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera.
    True, but this does not impact the shutter speed rule. The effect you are talking about above isn't true magnification, its just a crop. So 400mm, use no slower a shutter than 1/400, rather than 1/600.

Nice motocycle pics. I'd post some of mine, but I'm at work and don't have access to the originals to do a post on. But check out mercphoto.smugmug.com and search for images 0699, 2020, and 0721.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    True, but this does not impact the shutter speed rule. The effect you are talking about above isn't true magnification, its just a crop. So 400mm, use no slower a shutter than 1/400, rather than 1/600.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. thumb.gif

Cool moto pics too.
    Tim
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    Correcting myself
    mercphoto wrote:
    What I do is shoot (usually) on shutter priority and I try not to go above 1/250 a second.
    I need to correct myself above. Or at least add a cavaet. The advice I gave does depend on the focal length you are shooting at. It was good advice for 100-135mm lenses. If using big lenses (300mm and higher), that shutter speed will be too slow, unless you are VERY good at panning.

In general, slower shutters equals more motion blur, but slightly less focused main subject. Faster shutters equals a crisper main subject, just don't go so fast you stop all motion blur. I would be leary of going faster than 1/500 second even with a big lens. I've found I can do a lot of shots at 1/320 to 1/400 and still get a hint of wheel blur.

Bill
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2004
    Deacon wrote:
    Hutch, yes it was shot at PIR on BMW track day. I will check their schedule or do a search for PIR and OMMRA for dates/times. They are really good about allowing photogs on track. You simply sign a waiver and they give you a wrist band or orange vest for complete access. Let me know whDen and if you are coming and you are a welcome house guest.

Deacon

ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    Thanks Deacon,

I may take you up on that. We (Mrs. Hutch and I) just returned from a cruise to AK. I shot about 1700 frames! Hope some of them are good.

Anyway, I would really like to come over sometime this summer. It really depends on work. I am taking the last 2 weeks of July for a Cont. Divide ride. This will most likely be my only big bike trip this summer, so I should be able score a weekend in Portland maybe in August. I will check the shedule and PM you with some dates.

Hutch
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2004
    Okay, I said I would post my results so here we go. There are a TON more here: http://dugmar.smugmug.com/gallery/130038/1

These are some of the better ones. Comments welcome...

4737270-M.jpg

4727566-M.jpg

4729097-M.jpg

4729102-M.jpg

4730207-M.jpg

4737267-M.jpg

4737275-M.jpg

4737248-M.jpg