Nikon D80 Macro Lens (?)

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Cameras
I'm slowly accumulating additional lenses for my fairly new D80. The next lens I'd like to get is a decent 'macro' I also have to add I'm not wealthy, but always manage to get what I set my mind to. No problem with Sigma lens.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    redhalton wrote:
    I'm slowly accumulating additional lenses for my fairly new D80. The next lens I'd like to get is a decent 'macro' I also have to add I'm not wealthy, but always manage to get what I set my mind to. No problem with Sigma lens.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Our Artist In Residence for macro work is Lord Vetinari (Brian V.) and he uses a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 EX DG(?) Macro. He is quite good with it.

Naw, he is awesome. clap.gif

Another excellent macro lens is the Tamron 90mm, F/2.8 SP Di Macro.

Both are capable of true 1:1 macro and both are excellent values.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I Have had great luck with my Sigma 50 mm macro, one of my favorite lenses
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Our Artist In Residence for macro work is Lord Vetinari (Brian V.) and he uses a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 EX DG(?) Macro. He is quite good with it.

Naw, he is awesome. clap.gif

Understatement of the century... (probably of the past century too)
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    redhalton wrote:
    The next lens I'd like to get is a decent 'macro'
    J: They're all very good. Base your selection on Focal Length.

H: Focal length will be determined by your intended subject (big/small/skittish/stationary), and what look you are after (wide DOF/narrow DOF, large aperture/small aperture), etc.

J: You might also consider what other applications you might use this lens for.

H: But keep in mind that the key to shooting great Macros is in the quality of the light. Hmmm, come to think of it...

Good luck,
    J&H
  • redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Previously I used a Nikon 5000/lightbox to shot coins, small items with very good results. The macro capability with the 5000 was incredible, not just my opinion--I used to have others email me and tell me the detail in some of these images was very good.

With my D80 the results are not as good (my opinion) probably because of my lack of understanding, but I need to keep learning and I'm almost sure a macro lens will help the cause.

I tend to look at my set up (tripod, D80, lightbox) and get a little overwhelmed especially with the white balance and menu options. I guess I'm looking for a tried and true method to macro photography...no hurry ;-))

J: They're all very good. Base your selection on Focal Length.

H: Focal length will be determined by your intended subject (big/small/skittish/stationary), and what look you are after (wide DOF/narrow DOF, large aperture/small aperture), etc.

J: You might also consider what other applications you might use this lens for.

H: But keep in mind that the key to shooting great Macros is in the quality of the light. Hmmm, come to think of it...

Good luck,
    J&H
  • redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I'm new here--I just found the 'Macro Learning Series' by Brian..AWESOME!
    redhalton wrote:
    Previously I used a Nikon 5000/lightbox to shot coins, small items with very good results. The macro capability with the 5000 was incredible, not just my opinion--I used to have others email me and tell me the detail in some of these images was very good.

With my D80 the results are not as good (my opinion) probably because of my lack of understanding, but I need to keep learning and I'm almost sure a macro lens will help the cause.

I tend to look at my set up (tripod, D80, lightbox) and get a little overwhelmed especially with the white balance and menu options. I guess I'm looking for a tried and true method to macro photography...no hurry ;-))