New evolt 510

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Cameras
I just got my new evolt 510 from Adorama. Expect new photos in a couple of weeks. I can't use it until next week because it is a birthday present. :deal Meanwhile, if any of you 510 users have any tips I'm all ears! :ear

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    BMW Kurt wrote:
    I just got my new evolt 510 from Adorama. Expect new photos in a couple of weeks. I can't use it until next week because it is a birthday present. deal.gif Meanwhile, if any of you 510 users have any tips I'm all ears! ear.gif

Congratulations Kurt! Ever heard of an early birthday? mwink.gif

At least charge the battery and make it the first gift at your party.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    BMW Kurt wrote:
    I just got my new evolt 510 from Adorama. Expect new photos in a couple of weeks. I can't use it until next week because it is a birthday present. deal.gif Meanwhile, if any of you 510 users have any tips I'm all ears! ear.gif
    Kurt - welcome to the wonderful world of Olympus! clap.gif I am an E-510 user and I LOVE it. I have been a happy Olympus user for years. The 510 is a really powerful camera. Amazingly packed with features while maintaining a really nice size. You will be very happy with your purchase. Sad you have to wait a week! That's always hard. I always have tips available, are there any types of tips you are looking for?

I am excited to see some pix when you get to open it!
  • AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    The 510 is my 3 Oly and I seriously couldn't be happier. It's light, rugged and takes astoundingly good pictures for the $$$.

The built in IS is really very effective, you'll love that feature. Don't forget to do the Olympus Master Camera Upgrade as they "recently" added a menu feature that allows you to specify the focal length of any attached lens so the IS function works properly.

The only real knocks I have against this camera system is that the number of after market lenses is pretty limited. (Sigma makes an awesome 18-50mm f2.8 for 4/3 cameras by-the-way!) AND the smaller sensor size has a tendancy to blow highlights easily. You can over come this by stepping down (I shoot at -0.7ev to compensate), AE Bracketing or by becoming deft at post processing.

Enjoy!
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    I'm a fellow "Olympian" too, with an E-510 as well, and love it! clap.gif I upgraded from the E-500 back in January. :o)

Here's a great link for tips on customizing your E-510. I love Wrotniak's site.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

Enjoy your camera! thumb.gif

pmb
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    pmbpro wrote:

That is a fabulous site.
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    pmbpro wrote:
    I'm a fellow "Olympian" too, with an E-510 as well, and love it! clap.gif I upgraded from the E-500 back in January. :o)

Enjoy your camera! thumb.gif

pmb

Thanx!! That site will keep me busy until my birthday! :D