Options

First Post - Would like Comments

jsmasonjsmason Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited April 25, 2005 in Landscapes
I have been lurking here for a little while and this is my first post. I have been playing with Photoshop and digicams for several years, but I would like to move to an advanced amateur level. I recently purchased a Nikon D70 and Tamron 28-300 telephoto lens and have been working to learn the "pro" features of the camera. Below are a few of my recent photos. I would appreciate constructive comment regarding composition, color, exposure, or anything else that you think is appropriate.

Thanks for your input.

Spring in AZ
17763525-L.jpg

Spring in PA
20387348-L.jpg

20387353-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Congratulations
    On the camera and lens.

I haven't sprung for the dSLR yet, just gathering knowledge...

How do you like that combination of camera and lens, that's exactly the kind of range I'd want.

Are you happy with the images?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Dee...
    Dee wrote:
    On the camera and lens.

I haven't sprung for the dSLR yet, just gathering knowledge...

How do you like that combination of camera and lens, that's exactly the kind of range I'd want.

Are you happy with the images?
    I have been very pleased with the D70 kit and the Tamron zoom lens. Prior to this I had a Nikon E5700. I love the instant on and the fast focusing of the D70. The battery life is great compared to the 5700.

I do like the image quality and the detail is incredible if I don't let the shutter speed get too slow at long focal lengths. The D70 images seem a little less saturated than the 5700 image, so I have a tendency to punch up the saturation in Photoshop, hopefully not too much.

Anyway, I am certainly happy with the camera and recommend them.

Stan
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    jsmason wrote:

20387353-S.jpg

(couldn't see the first pic)

Looks like you're on your way with the new rig. Nice out of focus backgrounds. Nice colors. You've got some hightlights on the last one where you lost some detail - you could have used some softer light.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    I like the second one quite a bit. Nice tonal qualities.

The first one isn't bad but I'm not excited about the composition.

I'm a D70 user myself. Love the camera but want better lenses.

Welcome to DGrin! thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Phil...
    Phil U. wrote:
    (couldn't see the first pic)

Looks like you're on your way with the new rig. Nice out of focus backgrounds. Nice colors. You've got some hightlights on the last one where you lost some detail - you could have used some softer light.
    Thanks for the comments! I appreciate you taking time to comment. I wonder why you could not see the first pic. All of them are links to smugmug. - Stan
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    John...
    I like the second one quite a bit. Nice tonal qualities.

The first one isn't bad but I'm not excited about the composition.

I'm a D70 user myself. Love the camera but want better lenses.

Welcome to DGrin! thumb.gif
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I have the standard 18-70 lens and the Tamron 28-300. The combination is a big step up form the Nikon E5700 I was using. - Stan