My daughter....

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 20, 2008 in People
Well, I denied it to the bitter end even though some of you can say "I told ya so". Today was the day. Bittersweet. Heartwrenching really, for me...but had to happen sooner or later.

1-This is how my workspace has been invaded...it began as a small neat stack, but had grown. Especially in the last few days.
351357294_z9Eue-L.jpg

2-Friends til the end...a sleepover last night.
351357608_4RGQt-M.jpg

3-Part of the scene early this morning.
351358171_iwDp4-M.jpg

4-Some of her close friends rode with us to help out.
351358576_2BL6U-M.jpg

5- My daughter...unpacking her things in her dorm room. :cry
351358392_aVrsY-L.jpg

6- All the stuff from my workspace. I wish I had noticed my wife's reflection in the laptop and capitolized on that more in this snapshot.
351359202_qxobw-M.jpg

7-Tina, her two buddies, and her roomate.
351360583_9m3cs-M.jpg

It was tough to say goodbye.

I've got my workspace back.

Sure is empty.

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Yep...that is a hard one to swallow...she'll visit though but still tough to let her go. Wait till she gets married...you'zers eek7.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    aww....nice series. I'm trying to brace myself now. Bri only has 5 more years and I know it's coming fast.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Forget the Wedding
    Oh did I cry the day we set up the dorm - almost all grown up.

And the day of her wedding, probably the happiest day of my life. Someone else to love now. And when the twins arrived....now filled with pride.

So you have a few years left to enjoy before you get there. But, 1000's of more wonderful images to come. Thanks for sharing this special time. These will be cherished for a long long time.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • OceanlightsOceanlights Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    To be honest, the shots are pretty amazing and with smile on your face, tit feels very natural.

Cheers!!
    "Please comment on my pictures at http://www.MyGreatWorld.com (User: 'Darknesse') Thank You!"
  • shinymamashinymama Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    This is really sweet. Was she giving you a hard time about taking the pictures?

I like to document every little thing my boy does, it makes him mad at me sometimes.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Great series... you may be missing your empty studio though headscratch.gif

Also, if you do not mind, what was your "Setup" for this?
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Great series Jeff,
    You're starting to make me worry about the day my girl goes off to college. She's all of 9 1/2 months old and growing up fast!!!
    E
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    oohhhhh my, Jeff!!! I'm glad for you that you went through this with your son already, maybe that softened the blow of your first daughter going through this. The photos are absolutely PRICELESS. I still have pics of my trip to my freshman year dorm room, and now I am seeing that bittersweet joy through a parent's eyes. Thanks for sharing such a momentous family event.

What the heck happened to summer that it's time for college to start!!! :cry

Best of luck to her (and you!) for a great freshman year. cheerleader.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    These are great, Jeff. I think they captured the mood of the moment perfectly.

On a funny note, I looked at her photo collage in the trunk and thought it was so nice that she had such a nice set of b&w's (all perfectly processed the same) for her room and was surprised to see them on the wall in color. Sometimes I am a goofball.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Cool documentary mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    That's heartbreaking :cry but I'm sure she'll miss you & mom ...

Who's going to be your next model now??? ne_nau.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    shinymama wrote:
    This is really sweet. Was she giving you a hard time about taking the pictures?

I like to document every little thing my boy does, it makes him mad at me sometimes.

A hard time?

Of my three kids, she is the ONE who has never ever minded being in front of a camera.

She asked me the night before would I be bringing a camera.

She knows I do it out of love....and for sentimentalisms....is that a word?:D
    edited August 14, 2008
    Great series... you may be missing your empty studio though headscratch.gif

Also, if you do not mind, what was your "Setup" for this?

Ahhhh....we don't do no stinkin' studio in this house!!!rolleyes1.gif

Honestly...I find studio photography to be sterile and boring. Nothing against those who do it, but I have no plans to enter that realm.ne_nau.gif

The setup really was no setup. Except for the shot into the car trunk I just was using my 580 bounced off the ceiling. The dorm room, though , in addition to the bounced bit had super windowlight. Easy- Peasy Snapshots. I was actually quite busy lugging stuff from the parking lot and up the stairs...3rd floor...or waiting on the elevator. Once I got done with the grunt work, I had to get her set up on their network....install the printer....hook up the cable....and of course go shopping for more stuff that we left at home. I decided not to go overboard with a "set up".
    edited August 14, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Great series Jeff,
    You're starting to make me worry about the day my girl goes off to college. She's all of 9 1/2 months old and growing up fast!!!
    E

Ha!

You should worry!!!mwink.gif

Time flies!!!
    edited August 14, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    oohhhhh my, Jeff!!! I'm glad for you that you went through this with your son already, maybe that softened the blow of your first daughter going through this. The photos are absolutely PRICELESS. I still have pics of my trip to my freshman year dorm room, and now I am seeing that bittersweet joy through a parent's eyes. Thanks for sharing such a momentous family event.

What the heck happened to summer that it's time for college to start!!! :cry

Best of luck to her (and you!) for a great freshman year. cheerleader.gif

Well we haven't actually gone through this yet. He still lives with us even though he recently graduated from college. He commuted for 4 years. She is our first to move away for school. Sooooo......breaking new ground here...as well as Daddy's heart!

Oh the pom-poms.....she chose NOT to try out for cheerleading. I was actually thankful for that. She won't have any excuses for not having enough book time!:D
    edited August 14, 2008
    These are great, Jeff. I think they captured the mood of the moment perfectly.

On a funny note, I looked at her photo collage in the trunk and thought it was so nice that she had such a nice set of b&w's (all perfectly processed the same) for her room and was surprised to see them on the wall in color. Sometimes I am a goofball.

...and then admitted to the world wide web what a goober you are?rolleyes1.gif

You are much a woman HF!!!! Honest to a fault!rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 14, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    That's heartbreaking :cry but I'm sure she'll miss you & mom ...

Who's going to be your next model now??? ne_nau.gif

Well?

I need to shoot something for the DSS Mega Challenge that I seem to have qualified for...though I haven't a clue what or when. I am currently training 36 new hires at work, and have an event to shoot this weekend. I asked one of the girls in the group shots if she would be my model for that shot if I need one...and she agreed.

Beyond that, I still have a high school aged daughter at home....though she is less inclined to park herself in front of the lens!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Aww...great shots of a momentous occasion! I'll miss seeing all your shots of her (not that you won't continue to capture her...maybe just not as often). Your second daughter will just have to get used to the idea of parking herself in front of your lens. She's gorgeous and we need your pictures here at DGrin! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Great series! I'm in the same boat as your daughter. I just moved away from home to an apartment, 5 hours away from home. Starting my junior year of college though. Keep up the great shots!
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    nice shots...I am right there with you...I took my oldest daughter to college on Sunday morning...she is also a freshman. Unfortunately, she does not like having her picture taken. I took a couple of shots but I do not dare put them in the same post as yours, I am just not that talented.

I was very proud of her mother...not a single tear was shed....I expected a water fall.
    edited August 15, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Aww...great shots of a momentous occasion! I'll miss seeing all your shots of her (not that you won't continue to capture her...maybe just not as often). Your second daughter will just have to get used to the idea of parking herself in front of your lens. She's gorgeous and we need your pictures here at DGrin! :D

Well....when we were making trips down there for roomate socials....to find a roomate they do it like speed dating....I checked the area and vicinity out. The campus is along HWY 1 the oldest hwy in our state. There are some of the most beautiful old churches and antebellum homes along that route. Some VERY picturesque locations. I am biding my time until I get a request to go there to grab shots of her...and whatever new friends she makes.

My youngest will get her fill of the camera I am sure!

I am hoping to have as busy a year this year as last with senior photos. I already have 3 lined up, and a few weddings under negotiation. Time will tell. You know that I REALLY do this for the enjoyment, and not for the $$. You won't be missing any "jeffreaux2 posts" as they will keep a rollin'!
    edited August 15, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    Great series! I'm in the same boat as your daughter. I just moved away from home to an apartment, 5 hours away from home. Starting my junior year of college though. Keep up the great shots!

Well Matt do your folks a favor and keep them informed of your goings on. Letting go of a child is a big step for us old folks and deserves at least that much respect.

Take care...be safe...and make the grade!thumb.gif
    edited August 15, 2008
    nice shots...I am right there with you...I took my oldest daughter to college on Sunday morning...she is also a freshman. Unfortunately, she does not like having her picture taken. I took a couple of shots but I do not dare put them in the same post as yours, I am just not that talented.

I was very proud of her mother...not a single tear was shed....I expected a water fall.

Our chance to cry was pre-emtively stolen by having her friends in the car with us on the way home. Whew!!! We had to act grown in front of those two!

You should never be too shy about a photo to post it up. These are merely snap shots, and notice I asked for no C&C. I am merely sharing a life event with others here. I could have even said...." These are merely snapshots and I am sad enough already. Keep your C&C to yourself" On the other hand, I could have asked for help in improving future similar type shots. We are all here to learn and or help one another along....so...don't be timid about it!
    edited August 20, 2008
    Well, It's been a week.

She has locked her keys in her dorm once.

Mistakenly thought her room was on fire...and called it in...once.

Attended a mandatory meeting with the wrong group/college and had to explain that to her advisor...once.

I think she misses us too.:D ...and...they are aware down there that her blonde hair is FOR REAL!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well, It's been a week.

She has locked her keys in her dorm once.

Mistakenly thought her room was on fire...and called it in...once.

Attended a mandatory meeting with the wrong group/college and had to explain that to her advisor...once.

I think she misses us too.:D ...and...they are aware down there that her blonde hair is FOR REAL!!!rolleyes1.gif

That must have been fun!! Did she get a big laugh from that?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com