LAX Summer League

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited August 15, 2008 in Sports
Here are a couple of shots from a tournament in Naperville, IL from several weeks ago. These are the first shots taken with my new Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. I am not real pleased with the results, hoping that i get better with the lense.

341646752_99JjK-L.jpg

341644791_QfJer-L.jpg

341645817_QAuyK-L.jpg

Comments

• erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Here are a couple of shots from a tournament in Naperville, IL from several weeks ago. These are the first shots taken with my new Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. I am not real pleased with the results, hoping that i get better with the lense.

341646752_99JjK-L.jpg

341644791_QfJer-L.jpg

341645817_QAuyK-L.jpg

Some great stuff here. You seem to have controlled the harsh sunlight quite well. And shouldn't the girl in #1 be looking somewhere else besides the camera? o well, your gain I guess. My only gripe is the background. You have that fantastic 2.8 lens, blur that sucker!!!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I agree with erson, shoot that sucker in the 2.8-4.0 range. Also, kneel down and shoot up. That will take care of some of the background and also give a better view of the players, making them look taller.
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Why are you not pleased? Those shots look pretty good to me; especially for a first outing with the lens.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    thanks everybody...these are obviously the best of the shots of the 700+ shots I took. I guess I should not blame the lense, but the operator. The first day I failed to notice my ISO was set on 1600 :bash.

I was not pleased with the sky in any of the shots. It was a beautiful weekend with nice blues skies...all of my shots came out with a very grey sky.

Other than a handfull of shots I struggled with focus. I think I am too stupid to operate a camera.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    You are not going to get pretty blue skies while zoomed to 200 unless you shoot up. The sky on the horizon is usually dull grey, you just don't notice it because our vision sees a wide angle shot.

When you are first setting out for sports shots, make it easy on yourself. If it's a beautiful and sunny day, put in P mode and the camera will usually make good decisions. Then try A mode and put the aperture in the 2.8 to 4.0 range. You will get a good feel of what works and what doesn't.
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    The first day I failed to notice my ISO was set on 1600 :bash.
    Ah, yes! Reminds me of the two days that I spent shooting in Arches and Bryce Canyon National Parks without realizing that my White Balance was set for Flourescent Light. :(:

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Just keep shooting!

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Don't worry...I am going to keep shooting...I have to much invested in cameras and lenses to quit now. I am anxiously awaiting the start of college football season...my Jackets kick-off in 13 days!!!!! I will take alot of shots from the stands, but I no longer have my third row seats behind the bench. I was moved to the 4th row........upper deck :bash