Nikon D40

shanelwrdshanelwrd Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2008 in Cameras
I just recently switched from a Canon Rebel XTI to a Nikon D40. Im getting used to it slowly but im stuck on a simply issue. How do i adjust the exposure, i personally hate using flash at night when theres a great lighting oppurtunity (i.e. street lights, moonlight and any other natural lighting) It always seems to turn orange or blurry.

I am overall pleased with the results although a new fisheye lens would work much better for my line of work.

Thanks again.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 14, 2008
    Exposure and color balance and white balance are all things you need to control in order to get the effect you want.

Start with your owners manual and page 39 in order to understand how to set the Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual modes of your camera. Also check page 49 about setting the White Balance.

For unknown white balance it's often best to shoot RAW files and then set white balance and color balance in image editing software.

For outdoor night photography and shooting in ambient light you will probably need to select the highest ISO available (page 37).

If this is the sort of information that you think might help, you might use this information as a starter and then ask more refined questions in the "Technique" forum where we can delve a bit deeper into the exact mechanisms and procedures involved.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums