Shark Reef Aquarium @ Mandalay Bay

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Went on a photo expedition at the local aquarium after work today. It is always a challenge to photo there, but I am happy that I get better photos each time. That means I'm actually learning how to use my camera correctly :D

What makes this tougher than other aquariums? Well, for one thing most of the plexiglass is curved. It is also all double layer with space between (I guess the fish love glare :rolleyes ). The last thing is that a lot of areas there is no way to get all the way up to the glass, so at 2ft back I can't do anything about the glare. Of course it is too dark to use a CPL and no tripods allowed - but that is with any indoor aquarium.

So, here are my top 4 photos from the night.

351521319_wVXWX-L.jpg

352854053_5FSQP-L.jpg

352853875_iWj94-L.jpg

352853721_7xbR3-L.jpg

C&C Welcome. I used my 50mm on all shots. I tried to keep the shutter at 45 or 60 and f/1.4-2.8, managed exposure through the ISO mostly.
~ Lisa

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Went on a photo expedition at the local aquarium after work today. It is always a challenge to photo there, but I am happy that I get better photos each time. That means I'm actually learning how to use my camera correctly :D

What makes this tougher than other aquariums? Well, for one thing most of the plexiglass is curved. It is also all double layer with space between (I guess the fish love glare rolleyes1.gif ). The last thing is that a lot of areas there is no way to get all the way up to the glass, so at 2ft back I can't do anything about the glare. Of course it is too dark to use a CPL and no tripods allowed - but that is with any indoor aquarium.

So, here are my top 4 photos from the night.

C&C Welcome. I used my 50mm on all shots. I tried to keep the shutter at 45 or 60 and f/1.4-2.8, managed exposure through the ISO mostly.

Aquarium Glass can be a right pain in the butt, its curved, it's usually smudged or scratched or has kid drool on it etc.

The Fish shot looks fine to me, you can see some distortion in the second shot, but I'd have to say the only one that messes with my eyes is the last shot.

I like the Croc or Gator statue thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    Level of difficulty. Understand that one. :D You hit the tough pic in
    #3 nicely. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    Thank you Skippy and DaddyO for looking and commenting. I had a good time and it is always a challenge when I go there. I like a challenge. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    They rarely get better than this. Congrats thumb.gif
    darkdragon wrote:

352853875_iWj94-S.jpg