Irishka: Top Ten

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 15, 2008 in People
For those of you who enjoyed my little collages from last Sunday, here's a few more from that shoot.

1. Relaxed 1

351583579_RkLyr-X2.jpg

2. Relaxed 2

351583675_AggjB-X2.jpg

3. Striking a pose 1

351583158_jVLDV-X2.jpg

4. Striking a pose 2

351583212_g7rqR-X2.jpg

5. Those legs..

351583303_XmD6Q-X2.jpg

6. Spidergirl

351583464_GyaXD-X2.jpg

7. Flirt

351582741_nMnF7-X2.jpg

8. Portrait

351582825_xzYLm-X2.jpg

And finally a couple of more theatrical setups:

9. Desperation

351583009_qYu93-XL.jpg

10. Double Jeopardy (or Always ask your model to bring a friend!:-)

351583105_FZHU6-X2.jpg

C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    The first one in this set is my absolute fave. Love her pose and expression. thumb.gif

I'm happy you included the last two because I wanted to see her do something other than smile! :giggle She has a gorgeous smile, but it's the same expression in all the shots. I was really wanting to see another epxression--and boy howdy, does she deliver in that last one! :oogle
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Wonderful shots AS ALWAYS!!!! In the last one I think with a quick look that she's a dead ringer for Linda Blair with her head spinning around as she spits green gunk. thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Nikolai,

Great work!

Just curious..........are these time for photos, is she paying you or are you paying her?

She seems to have modeling experience, great smile, good poses, and did I mention...........legs?

Keep up the good work!

Sam
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    The first one in this set is my absolute fave. Love her pose and expression. thumb.gif

I'm happy you included the last two because I wanted to see her do something other than smile! :giggle She has a gorgeous smile, but it's the same expression in all the shots. I was really wanting to see another epxression--and boy howdy, does she deliver in that last one! :oogle
    Thanks, Kerry! thumb.gif
    Glad you liked the variety! :ivar
    Good point on the facial expression, I'll work on that with her next time... deal.gif
    edited August 14, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Wonderful shots AS ALWAYS!!!! In the last one I think with a quick look that she's a dead ringer for Linda Blair with her head spinning around as she spits green gunk. thumb.gif
    Laughing.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I like her skin tones! :D

How did you get her to hold the knife half naked?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited August 14, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Nikolai,

Great work!

Just curious..........are these time for photos, is she paying you or are you paying her?

She seems to have modeling experience, great smile, good poses, and did I mention...........legs?

Keep up the good work!

Sam

Thanks Sam! thumb.gif
    This was all quid pro quo, (or "time for images":-).
    Modeling experience: you'll be surprised :D . It's her 4th shoot and she only started less than a month agodeal.gif. In fact, my first session with her was her first ever. I guess it makes her a fast learner (and me a good teacher mwink.gif :-)
    edited August 14, 2008
    I like her skin tones! :D
    Thanks! She tans nicely and she lives in OC, next to the world famous beaches...
    How did you get her to hold the knife half naked?
    Easy. You just say "1) Lose the top 2) Hold the knife".
    Try it, it works most of the times mwink.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    #5 is amazing- It is the same girl, same background, but a whole new look. That is my fav of these. You did a great job keeping everything that needs to be in the frame, in the frame. You are really coming along with the lighting too. Excellent stuff, Nik.
    edited August 14, 2008
    #5 is amazing- It is the same girl, same background, but a whole new look. That is my fav of these. You did a great job keeping everything that needs to be in the frame, in the frame. You are really coming along with the lighting too. Excellent stuff, Nik.
    Thank you, Heather, glad you liked it! thumb.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Damn Nikolia. That is the difference between a professional and a guy like me.

On shot's like these, and I've done a few ;-), I don't know how to command the model. It's not enough to have good equipment, and the proper lighting. I need to know how to pose the model, what do you recommend I do?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited August 14, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Damn Nikolia. That is the difference between a professional and a guy like me.
    Laughing.gif
    I'm not a pro, only a weekend warrior, but thanks! :-)
    On shot's like these, and I've done a few ;-), I don't know how to command the model. It's not enough to have good equipment, and the proper lighting. I need to know how to pose the model, what do you recommend I do?
    Three things: learn, learn and learn! deal.gifmwink.gif
    There is an amazing amount of information around you, you just need to look.
    Whenever I'm waiting for any appointment there are almost always some glam magz in the receiption area. Or tabloids my wifie brings from the grocery. I go through all the full page ads and red carpet pics, try to "reconstruct" the lighting setup, and also make mental notes on what's "working" and what's not. I'm also subscribed for a few magazines myself (I don't go to the doctors too often yet, luckily).
    There are tons of fashion/model-related shows on TV, sometimes the whole channels: Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Bikini Destinations, Ultra HD... Or the series like "South Beach" (reruns now).
    And of course there is Internet..:-)
    I think I started doing all this (I mean, educating myself) only about a year ago or so, so it's not THAT hard.

And once you know what potentially can look good and have at least some concept of lighting, then it all comes to your ability to direct and model's ability to follow. Some girls have a lot of experience and they already know what works and what not *for them* (angles, poses, etc.), in this case the amount of direction can be really minimal. However, some directions are almost always required since nobody except you have that unique position behind the viewfinder. deal.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Hahaha!!! I'll comment later on the photos. Too busy laughing.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

:D

Nice job-- your rim lighting is dramatically improved over previous shoots. It's much softer and more sensual so whatever you did, keep it up.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited August 14, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    :D
    Nice job-- your rim lighting is dramatically improved over previous shoots. It's much softer and more sensual so whatever you did, keep it up.
    Thanks, Pete! thumb.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I am not sure saying

would work for me. More like she would hold the knife to get ready to strike me..
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited August 14, 2008
    I am not sure saying
    would work for me. More like she would hold the knife to get ready to strike me..
    that's why you say "lose the top" first :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Geeez, Those legs go all the way to the floor! Amazingiloveyou.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I totally agree with Pete on the rim lighting....very very nice execution. Oftentimes we get caught up in using too many lights but you've got a sweet blend in these Nik. Nicely done. I know your thoughts on PP but (and it's only MHO)...every single shot you post should have your photoshop skills applied....these shots are just too special to NOT do it......yes, I understand the time constraints....but you have some magic here.....beautiful models, beautiful light, beautiful settings....you owe it to yourself to PP to that level.

Love me, hate me....I'll always say it like I see it. You aren't a weekend warrior....you my friend need to take the next step for what you are...PRO thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited August 14, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    Geeez, Those legs go all the way to the floor! Amazingiloveyou.gif
    They are nice, ain't they! :-)
    Thanks!
    edited August 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    I totally agree with Pete on the rim lighting....very very nice execution. Oftentimes we get caught up in using too many lights but you've got a sweet blend in these Nik. Nicely done. I know your thoughts on PP but (and it's only MHO)...every single shot you post should have your photoshop skills applied....these shots are just too special to NOT do it......yes, I understand the time constraints....but you have some magic here.....beautiful models, beautiful light, beautiful settings....you owe it to yourself to PP to that level.

Love me, hate me....I'll always say it like I see it. You aren't a weekend warrior....you my friend need to take the next step for what you are...PRO thumb.gif

David,
    thank you, you're too kind, I'm flattered:-)

I think I will take my time off shooting after the SM Shootout and spend a month or so picking up the real good stuff and then going apey with it (CS4 should be out by that time, I guess, at least rumors say so). Then create a book or two (or three, I want to test all those fancy printhouses:-) and then head to the local agencies and fashion outlets offering my services..(can I hear "1DMkIII$$$"? mwink.gif)
    I actually apply quite some amount of PP to almost every frame I post (not doing that would be like a russian girl going out without a makeup, non dresses to the nines and without high heels - simply doesn't happen:-), but I'm glad it's not that obvious, since I go for an "almost natural" look:-)
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    I'm keep looking at them over and over.
    I love the rim lighting but I still think it can be turned down a bit. Especially in #1 and 4.
    The main light seems to be unevenly lighting her face in some of the shots also, especially #6 and 7.

I love the look and feel and mood of the last two. I was quite shocked to see those! My faves in terms of lighting are 3 and 5.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited August 15, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I'm keep looking at them over and over.
    I love the rim lighting but I still think it can be turned down a bit. Especially in #1 and 4.
    The main light seems to be unevenly lighting her face in some of the shots also, especially #6 and 7.

I love the look and feel and mood of the last two. I was quite shocked to see those! My faves in terms of lighting are 3 and 5.
    Thank you Damon, appreciate the C&C! thumb.gif