Photography Fees

Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited August 20, 2008 in Sports
I’m still am amateur photograph but starting to get some work.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Finding it tough to put a price on what I do. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Should I have some fee for showing up to an event, or just charge for photos sold?<o:p></o:p>
What kind of fees should I charge? I’m sure there’s all kinds of different ways of doing this, so I am not expecting one simple answer.<o:p></o:p>
But would appreciate any ideas.<o:p></o:p>
I’m starting into the world of horse shows to be more specific. And some local horse events, and private horse farm events.<o:p></o:p>
I am still starting out, so I know I can’t charge the rate of a professional yet. Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.<o:p></o:p>
You don’t have to post your fee’s, I’m guessing most don’t want to make too much knowledge public.<o:p></o:p>
Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
http://www.LongRanch.com

Comments

• erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Kowboy33 wrote:
    I’m still am amateur photograph but starting to get some work.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Finding it tough to put a price on what I do. <o:p></o:p>
    Should I have some fee for showing up to an event, or just charge for photos sold?<o:p></o:p>
    What kind of fees should I charge? I’m sure there’s all kinds of different ways of doing this, so I am not expecting one simple answer.<o:p></o:p>
    But would appreciate any ideas.<o:p></o:p>
    I’m starting into the world of horse shows to be more specific. And some local horse events, and private horse farm events.<o:p></o:p>
    I am still starting out, so I know I can’t charge the rate of a professional yet. Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.<o:p></o:p>
    You don’t have to post your fee’s, I’m guessing most don’t want to make too much knowledge public.<o:p></o:p>

I've done a couple of horse shows myself and generally there are a lot of photographers competing to do them. Genereally, you would not get a dime for showing up. Usually there are 60-80 riders and most of em just love having that perfect shot of them jumping a fence. Or even better, get the young ones. Lead line, all that seemingly boring stuff of the young kids just being walked around--this usually means they are very new, and hence do not have a lot of pictures of themselves competing. Those are top sellers. Now because you're not getting paid to show up, you can up the price per print a little. I charge $25 for an 8X10 and am still $15 lower then the "other guys". One last piece of advice: There are usually two rings (at least the ones I've been to) and will require two photographers to get as many shots as possible. Hope this helps!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
  • twhite14twhite14 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    I am going down the same road as you. I am looking to trade in my novice status and start charging for horse shows. I have been taking pictures for my daughter's stable at all the horse shows and more and more the other parents are starting to ask me to take some pics of their kids as well. In the last show I did, I missed all the behind the scenes stuff with my daughter because I was taking pics of everyone else.

I had rented at lens (70-200 f2.8L which was AWESOME) so I had $65 of my own cash wrapped up, then spent another couple hours post processing and stuff. I post everything on Smugmug and the parents have probably ordered 50 pics by now. So there is a definite market.

Most of the "official" guys look to be charging $75-100 for an 8x10. One thing most around here do is upload during the show and have computers available for ordering. Parents are running over to the tent after their kid is done to look at the photos...which really capitalizes on the spirit of the moment. A note though, there is some tension as I have heard some shows are banning DSLR's/lens over a certain length at shows unless you are the "official guy".

Are you looking at a SmugMug pro account?

I would be interested to hear how this ends up for you. I also sent you a PM with some other info.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    Photographer's Market is a good book that will help you in more ways than simply setting price.

One thing you will need to do is check the market rates in your area and price accordingly. This lets you see what's selling and for how much.

Kowboy33, I edited your post to remove the black text. Depending on the skin people view the forum with, black text can be difficult to read.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    twhite14 wrote:
    ...A note though, there is some tension as I have heard some shows are banning DSLR's/lens over a certain length at shows unless you are the "official guy"...

So you need to contact them and find out how to become one of the official guys. You an even contact the official guys and find out what they pay for gigs. The beauty of being a freelancer is the ability to turn down jobs on occasion. Otherwise it sounds like you HAVE TO go to all the events.

There is no need to price way below your other photographers, that will just make them mad.

Now they are offering a specialized service which you cant match. So pass out cards with a note about a limited time discount. It doesn't have to say how much it is either. Then make sure you are getting the pics posted within 12 hours of the event.

Get a mailing list going too. Join their mailing lists. You will become everyone's friend and grow your business that way!
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    You an even contact the official guys and find out what they pay for gigs.

What?
    edited August 17, 2008
    an = can
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    This is a joke right?rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated.

No its not a joke.
  • nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    $75 to $100 for one 8" x 10"? Sounds like a healthy market.

From my experience with horse people, there are basically two kinds: (1) the rich ones, who can afford boarding and don't have to do most of the grunt work themselves. (2) the working class, who are up at the crack of dawn to feed them, etc. before they go off to work and in debt up to their eyeballs and can barely afford the hay, vet bills, ferriers, etc.

I suppose of one gets that critical shot of a child at just the right moment, it could be worth a lot to them, given what they spend on upkeep and such.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Laughing.gif...
    Shoot only Polo matches and you will get $100 for a matted 8x10 print - matted to 11x14.

nobody wrote:
    $75 to $100 for one 8" x 10"? Sounds like a healthy market.

From my experience with horse people, there are basically two kinds: (1) the rich ones, who can afford boarding and don't have to do most of the grunt work themselves. (2) the working class, who are up at the crack of dawn to feed them, etc. before they go off to work and in debt up to their eyeballs and can barely afford the hay, vet bills, ferriers, etc.

I suppose of one gets that critical shot of a child at just the right moment, it could be worth a lot to them, given what they spend on upkeep and such.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Laughing.gif...
    Shoot only Polo matches and you will get $100 for a matted 8x10 print - matted to 11x14.

Ha! I suspect polo matches are by commission only, no one is going buy a print from a 'common' photographer...Laughing.gif
  • Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Laughing.gif. most of the people I know are at the other end, doing the grunt work. They like the dispoable camera's and walmart!

Trying expand my markets.

I still can't imagine anyone paying more then $20 for an 8x10.
    But I'm still at the beginning, guess andi have to shoot and learn!

I'm also just trying to pick up small events or maybe just weekend at some farms for practice. Definitely not anywhere near feeling combfortable charging $75+, maybe next year Laughing.gif.

If I am just starting out and looking to get practice and maybe some extra money, any suggestions on that?
    Probably be best if I hooked up wiht a pro and learned the trade that way!
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Kowboy33 wrote:
    If I am just starting out and looking to get practice and maybe some extra money, any suggestions on that?
    Probably be best if I hooked up wiht a pro and learned the trade that way!

Definitly a good way to start and give you the opportunity to see if that is something that you really want to do.

It's something that I do.
    Be prepared to think of things like, covering not just convenient times, but a full day of shooting, from the crack of dawn til the last class of the day. It wears on your body, oh and forget about lunch break, that's for the judges only, you'll find that competitors will still be riding/working and you'll have a line up at your booth to see pictures, so no time to eat and do business. what happens if halfway though the day your gear quits? Do you have enough equipment to have a backup or 2, batteries galore, shooting horses should be done with a long lens...the longer the lens the better the compression, if you're shooting outside, as long as you have fine weather you should be fine, but what if it rains, what if you have to shoot in a poorly lit arena. If you are at the show the competitors expect you to be able to produce results. Each show will be different, each association will be looking for something different. Do you know enough about different breeds to know what looks good to them?

Believe me, I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving you a dose of reality! As for pricing, check out your local competition, how does your work compare to them, and price yourself accordingly. I have a competitor right now who's prices are sitting just above cost.....headscratch.gif I don't know how it would ever be worth the time let alone the money involved in equipment, travel etc etc But we are being booked by two different types of clientel...much like were mentioned earlier...but you can't price yourself at a certain range without being justified, and your sales will certainly reflect that!thumb.gif
    edited August 20, 2008
    I lived in Santa Barbara for a while in the early 80's and sold 8x10's matted to 11x14 for 50 bucks without trying. But I was a dumb college undergrad and happy for the $50. I got invited back to shoot a lot. Now I'm a dumb post-graduate and I should really add this back to my events list.

Polo matches are not a big public spectator sport and its heck to shoot a game on a 10 acre field - 300 x 160 yards! (the largest field in a sporting event). It is the hardest field event I've ever shot.
    cmason wrote:
    Ha! I suspect polo matches are by commission only, no one is going buy a print from a 'common' photographer...Laughing.gif
    edited August 20, 2008
    BIG BUMP! I'm going back for an MFA so I can teach basic business skills (as an MBA) to artists. Pros know what stuff costs and what it takes to make a living. Others that price themselves under market are not pros but dabbling hobbyists...albeit...some of them are darn fine at the trade.
    cdonovan wrote:
    ...I have a competitor right now who's prices are sitting just above cost.....headscratch.gif I don't know how it would ever be worth the time let alone the money involved in equipment, travel etc etc But we are being booked by two different types of clientel...much like were mentioned earlier...but you can't price yourself at a certain range without being justified, and your sales will certainly reflect that!thumb.gif