Tobermory

photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Landscapes
Hello all --

Haven't posted in a long while, so I thought I would toss some your way from a recent trip to Tobermory, Ontario, Canada.

Please let me know if you like 'em, hate 'em, or could care less... Any feedback is good feedback, IMO. Thanks!

#1 The small stack on Flowerpot Island

351845222_AK5ye-L.jpg

#2 Big Tub Harbour Lighthouse

351845111_bNkAp-L.jpg
photon

Comments

• bon4irebon4ire Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Very nice! 2 is my favorite. thumb.gif
  • photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Thanks!
    bon4ire wrote:
    Very nice! 2 is my favorite. thumb.gif

Thanks, bonfire... The second one I had to go back to because my wife loves lighthouses, and this one is hard to get a good vantage point of. I ended up taking it from the tour boat out to Flowerpot Island. Glad you liked it.
    photon
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Hey Curtis,

Pretty nice work.

1) Shadows are blocked, highlights are blown. I think you can revisit this with curves and pull back on each end and wind up with an extrememly nice conversion.

2) I like it, but IMHO could use more punch -- ie: s curve

Keep up the good work
    Randy
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Both are excellent. Love #1 and the conversion. clap.gif
    edited August 14, 2008
    Dunno
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Curtis,

Pretty nice work.

1) Shadows are blocked, highlights are blown. I think you can revisit this with curves and pull back on each end and wind up with an extrememly nice conversion.

2) I like it, but IMHO could use more punch -- ie: s curve

Keep up the good work

Hi Randy:

Thanks for the feedback. As you say, the blacks are solid black, but while it looks like it in fact the whites are just almost white, like Zone 9 or so. Maybe zone 8 or even 7 might be better? I'm trying to discover the secrets of really good B&W conversions that just make rock formations like this sing. Here's the original (with no adjustments, only dust removal) if someone out there wants to try.

351968850_ptNEg-M.jpg

Here's another attempt for people to ponder:

351976925_tTKdq-L.jpg

And while I'm at it, I did try a stronger curve for the lighthouse pic... I'm not sure I like it -- what do you guys think? (I don't tend to like oversaturated color, but somehow I always end up with B&W's that are way contrasty... Go figure! mwink.gif

351969599_rqxjD-M.jpg

Thanks again for the constructive comments Randy.

Curtis
    photon
    edited August 14, 2008
    Thanks!
    dlplumer wrote:
    Both are excellent. Love #1 and the conversion. clap.gif
    Thanks for your positive feedback, dlplumer. Always appreciated! :D

C
    photon
    edited August 14, 2008
    Note to self...
    Just thought I would share a a tidbit of wisdom I learned on this trip... Make sure you leave for the shoot with clean optics!!! While the two shots above turned out OK, if I was pointed even close to the sun a nice finger streak on my polarizer was immediately evident in the picture :cry

351981579_iTDAs-M.jpg

The lens flare was great, but the orthogonal smudge, right in the middle, wasn't so much! Turns out my 3 year old got a little too close to the lens the day before.

Check your optics!! thumb.gif

C
    photon
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    photon wrote:
    Hi Randy:

Here's the original (with no adjustments, only dust removal) if someone out there wants to try.

351968850_ptNEg-M.jpg

Here's another attempt for people to ponder:

351976925_tTKdq-L.jpg

Curtis

Curtis, your second try is getting much closer. Maybe even where you like it, which in the very end is the ONLY THING that matters thumb.gif

I gave the pic a quick whirl, but I certainly hope the 600x400 posted was NOT the original rolleyes1.gif You can see the pixelation in the sky. But for this purpose, its no big deal. Your right, at this resolution the lightest rocks do look blown, but alas, they are not.

BW conversion is also one of those subjective things. I'm just now going through a book by Micheal Freeman on the topic. (Mastering Black & White Digital Photography)

Anyway, good luck. Looks like your getting there.

352075959_ZRL68-XL.jpg
    Randy