Options

The odd angry shot......

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 25, 2005 in Holy Macro
Fort Lytton was built in 1880 mainly due to the threat from Russia. It is a typical 19th century garrison being a pentagonal shaped fortress concealed behind grassy embankments & surrounded by a water filled moat.

It sits at the mouth of our river & in its day...was considered heavily fortified. The fort was used right up until WWII as Australia was under attack from the Japanese in Sydney/Townsville & Darwin by air & submarine. Dawin alone was bombed 64 times.

The forts guns were only fired in anger twice & that was in WWI....a Dutch Steamer & a fishing vessel ignored proceedure prior to travelling up river.

All the photos i took are here...some pretty bad processing going on but that stuff is harder to learn than the camera.

20411728-M.jpg

Only 10mm owners will sympathise with me on how hard it is to use & not get your own shadow in the shot.

20368105-M.jpg

20368176-M.jpg

20368113-M.jpg

20368172-M.jpg

20368174-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    What can I say; these all show excellent use of wide angle, great subject/composition and most importantly, imagination. Terrific! clap.gif

AJ
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    gus - looks like a fun place to explore and shoot. I like the colors in that last one - was there a rainbow colored window or were the colors on the wall? I enjoyed the whole gallery.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Gus
    Very cool shots and great story
    Don't have any favorites all good clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    But I think you just brought that lens to the top of my list mwink.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited April 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

20368174-M.jpg

Looks like a prism did its thing here. Gus, what produced the colors in this shot?

Humungus wrote:
    Only 10mm owners will sympathise with me on how hard it is to use & not get your own shadow in the shot.
    Clear plastic tripod and the self-timer?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    What can I say; these all show excellent use of wide angle, great subject/composition and most importantly, imagination. Terrific! clap.gif

AJ
    Tks MD...i love the lens. Its a good thing to have around.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Very cool shots and great story
    Don't have any favorites all good clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    But I think you just brought that lens to the top of my list mwink.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    Tks US...buy it...you cant go wrong.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    David & Phil....i know you might doubt me but i believe its a photographic inversion of colour coming from a large open window (no glass) to my left behind me.

I recon its the sky/grass from outside. Any takers ?

Sort of like a GIANT pinhole camera.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    David & Phil....i know you might doubt me but i believe its a photographic inversion of colour coming from a large open window (no glass) to my left behind me.

If the bottom area of the open window was wet, that could explain it perhaps? That's my only guess for now. Whatever caused it, its pretty cool, nevertheless.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    If the bottom area of the open window was wet, that could explain it perhaps? That's my only guess for now. Whatever caused it, its pretty cool, nevertheless.
    The floor was dusty david as several times i sat the camera down & there was enough light to see it. There was nothing but the open window...& it was huge ie 6 feet 4 feet.

Here it is again

20368129-M.jpg

Again (you blokes have got me wondering now !)

20368173-M.jpg

Again

20368127-M.jpg

The sky reflection is visable here also

20368147-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    No smoking? Must be a bunker :)

Very cool shots.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    No smoking? Must be a bunker :)

Very cool shots.

Ian
    Magazine...ta mate.

Daughter was acting like i was torturing her. I had told her how much more fun this would be than going to DreamWorld :giggle lol3.gif :lol :lol :lol

Evertime i walked into a different area i would turn & tell her "And now ladies & gentlemen...we are entering yet another plain empty underground bunker"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    all fantastic shots hum! clap.gif
    Tks angelo..i could have spent all day there but spared my daughter & only got about 2 hours in....there was a rampant red bellied black snake getting around that had the ranger worried as well.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    You have got some cool shots there, Gus. We have an old fort that about goes back to the beginning of America. Charleston is a very old settlement. Our fort went thru changes, now it is a museum kinda, like yours. But I don't think ours has the cool colors, like the red doors.

What I am trying to say is that you are wearing me out, here. Now I want to go check out our fort. It is right by my church, on that island. I actually do not like anything about touring forts, but you got some really cool photos there. Even if I didn't get the color thing, I might get something cool. But my imagination is not as good as yours.

It was too windy for kite surfing here, today. Practically no one was anywhere near the beach, I couldn't figure that out until I walked on the bridge to take photos..................sand blowing all over the place.

But now I know I have to go to our fort, along with every place else you are going to think of. Why is it you and I have such similar places, no one else is as far away from me.

ginger (hey, why don't you go get some egrets............I already do that)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Tks ginger. Reminds me of that episode of sienfeld called bizzaro world where things were almost identicle but still different.

Our kite surfing is on the bay & the sand is always wet & hard packed & not in the air...i can't imagine what sand would do inside a camera.

I would love to see your fort.....would like to see inside the museum.

PS...i dont like egrets but i will try some in a soup.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Love that Last Shot Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    Fort Lytton was built in 1880 mainly due to the threat from Russia. It is a typical 19th century garrison being a pentagonal shaped fortress concealed behind grassy embankments & surrounded by a water filled moat.

It sits at the mouth of our river & in its day...was considered heavily fortified. The fort was used right up until WWII as Australia was under attack from the Japanese in Sydney/Townsville & Darwin by air & submarine. Dawin alone was bombed 64 times.

The forts guns were only fired in anger twice & that was in WWI....a Dutch Steamer & a fishing vessel ignored proceedure prior to travelling up river.

All the photos i took are here...some pretty bad processing going on but that stuff is harder to learn than the camera.

Ohhhhhh I appreciate how hard some of these lenses are to use.
    I'm getting a Canon 24mm 1.4 soon, will get great to try a bit of wide angle photography out.

I love the light in your last image, it's like a painting, its very warm, gives you the feeling of going back in the days of old, I really like that one.

Thanks for Sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Wow a 1.4 skip...thats going to be fun. Did you get anything of the Anzac parade ?
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Well, sometimes I'd rather not analyze a situation and just enjoy it. Whatever caused the colors, they look cool in the shots.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    No Anzacs
    Humungus wrote:
    Wow a 1.4 skip...thats going to be fun. Did you get anything of the Anzac parade ?
    I work in a Pathology Unit, most times I work 7 days a week, mostly work late shifts which means I don't go to bed till 12.00 MN or around 1 AM, so getting up to shoot something at 4.30 AM is not gonna happen :D

I worked all weekend and Today, and all this coming week, and will work all next weekend too ........... they're about to install a new computer system, so my hours will be even longer ..... just what I need, more overtime before my USA Trip rolleyes1.gif

Well I gotta pay for all these new toys some how don't I ne_nau.gifnod.gif

Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Beautiful shots and effect Humungus! Looks like you've got a new favorite lens!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Some nice shots, Gusnado. thumb.gif I like the room, and also this one.

20368172-S.jpg

Sounds like you've fallen for the 10-22. Damn, I wish I could use it on on my body. umph.gif I know what you mean about shadows.... it's a real issue when I put the light in the right place (behind me) when I'm using the 15mm fisheye.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Tks nir/waxy. My problem is that other than the kit lens...the 10-22 is all i have so i gotta use what i got.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Very good use of that lens.thumb.gif

Now you got me feeling sheepish in that mine has been collecting too much dust. I think I'm going to have to have lens weeks, where I put a lens on and can only shoot with it, no matter what for the week.