Options

My first motorcycle

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I just got my motorcycle license 10 days ago. I bought this bike last night. I'm sure I'll have more shots as time goes by :D:D

352230564_hUwz4-L-1.jpg

352230611_Whofn-L-1.jpg

Any suggestions for better angles or techniques for photographing bikes?
Travis

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I don't know nothing about photographing bikes, really, but w00p! Wtg on the license and the bike!! wings.gif :smo
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I don't know nothing about photographing bikes, really, but w00p! Wtg on the license and the bike!! wings.gif :smo

Thanks Ivar! Can't wait to get tags today!

Schmoo was mentioning your opinions on motorcycles to me this morning. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Well, for one you don't necessarily need "sweet light" to photograph them. lol3.gif

I'm sure the wise folk at ADVrider have more useful feedback thumb.gif

Congrats again! I think she's perfect for getting used to the road and the wind in your.... eyebrows. lol3.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Thanks Ivar! Can't wait to get tags today!

Schmoo was mentioning your opinions on motorcycles to me this morning. :D
    Everyone in the generation before me and before that, have a medical profession. Motorcycle riders are generally referred to as 'organ donors' around here lol3.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I think she's perfect for getting used to the road and the wind in your.... eyebrows. lol3.gif
    Hah!

Does "she" have a name?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hah!

Does "she" have a name?

Not yet, I haven't taken her for a ride yet. I'll get back to you on Monday :)
    Travis
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 15, 2008
    Zowie, a vintage GL with a trick rear luggage compartment! Slick, very slick.

WTG on the license and new ride. If there's one thing I've learned in the past year of being bikeless, and enjoying every minute I've gotten on any bike (big, small, old, new) that I've borrowed, it's that as long as it's got two wheels and motor, it'll put a grin on my face.
    :D

Go disappear for a bit, and keep it rubber side down. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Be careful out there, my friend. Ride like all the " cagers " are out there on on a mission to kill you. There's an old saying that is cloaked in a lot of truth: There are two kinds of motorcyclists....those that have crashed their bikes, and those that are going to. I've raced and ridden bikes for over 40 years but I still go to " full red alert " every time I suit up to ride. Buy every piece of protective gear you can afford and USE IT.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Ah, right, there was a question in there... the angles that work best for bikes go something like this:

7536244_ER8KD-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Be careful out there, my friend. Ride like all the " cagers " are out there on on a mission to kill you. There's an old saying that is cloaked in a lot of truth: There are two kinds of motorcyclists....those that have crashed their bikes, and those that are going to. I've raced and ridden bikes for over 40 years but I still go to " full red alert " every time I suit up to ride. Buy every piece of protective gear you can afford and USE IT.

Tom

There is a lot of truth in this - ride like you're invisible. When it comes to gear, a quote from General George S. Patton Jr. couldn't be better (although a little out of context), "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." When you get in the saddle, the most important thing is to enjoy the ride.

Congrats on the bike, I'm very jealous of the 'vintage' Honda.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ah, right, there was a question in there... the angles that work best for bikes go something like this:

Nice! Don't know that I'm ready to take a camera on the bike with me yet... let me get a few miles under my belt first :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008

Tom

Tom-

Thanks for the advice. I've bought an HJC FS-10 for a helmet, and a Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket for spring/summer/fall and have a padded leather jacket for the winter. I don't have winter gloves yet, but have padded mesh full-finger gloves.

What I need to get are pants and boots still. I have hiking boots that I wore for my safety class, but I plan on getting riding boots soon.

And I'm very much a safety first sort of guy. I don't mind taking risks (ie, fire-eating, weapons combat, and riding motorcycles), but I go about it in the safest way I can. I've been hurt before, I don't like it. Hospitals suck.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    silversx80 wrote:
    There is a lot of truth in this - ride like you're invisible. When it comes to gear, a quote from General George S. Patton Jr. couldn't be better (although a little out of context), "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." When you get in the saddle, the most important thing is to enjoy the ride.

Congrats on the bike, I'm very jealous of the 'vintage' Honda.

Thanks!
    And as I said above, I'm definitely in the safety first club. Might not be quite as daring as others, but I want to enjoy the ride, both today and tomorrow.
    Travis
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Congratulations on the bike. I haven't seen a GL-500 in a long, long time. They are wonderful machines what with the 90-degree engine configuration - that tends to reduce the primary vibrations that one can get with in-line configurations.

So you got your license! Great. Did you also happen to take the first of the many classes offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). As a past certified instructor, I can not recommend this highly enough. It's amazing what you can learn about how to better ride a bike.

Again - Congrats! Bikes can be soooo much fun!!!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Congratulations on the bike. I haven't seen a GL-500 in a long, long time. They are wonderful machines what with the 90-degree engine configuration - that tends to reduce the primary vibrations that one can get with in-line configurations.

So you got your license! Great. Did you also happen to take the first of the many classes offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). As a past certified instructor, I can not recommend this highly enough. It's amazing what you can learn about how to better ride a bike.

Again - Congrats! Bikes can be soooo much fun!!!

Thanks Scott. And yes, I took the BRC that is done by the MSF and certified by the Maryland MVA. It's a great course! I'm very happy I took it. I plan on going back to do the intermediate course in about 6 months or so.
    Travis
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

7536244_ER8KD-M.jpg
    Cool shot. Was that hand-held? Or somehow mounted to the bike?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Beautiful!

And don't forget the safely gear! I know too many people who have gotten hit while on bikes! Helmet and jacket at a minimum!

(and congrats!) :D
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    lol3.gif I love how many times safety and death have been mentioned so far in this thread. I thought no one could be more concerned about this than me! :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif I love how many times safety and death have been mentioned so far in this thread. I thought no one could be more concerned about this than me! :D
    how's the ins policy on the old man?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 15, 2008
    Welcome to the world of two wheels, Travis. (I think my ST1300 comes from the heritage of the 500GL. - transverse V twin and all ) Ride safely with confidence, and wash that puppy once a year whether it needs it or not.

Those who ride, and are paying attention, are fully aware of the risks and benefits of riding. thumb.gif ATGATT all the way!

I leave for Duluth next week for the Very Boring Rally II sponsored by Aerostitch - a very good source for motorcycle riding gear.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Thanks everyone!

And yes, I have safety gear, and I'm a STRONG proponent of safety first.

My jacket has should, elbow/forarm, and back protection built in. I've got a Snell rated helmet. Padded gloves for the summer, I'll get winter gloves once it gets a little colder. Still looking into better boots and pants.
    Travis
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Very coolthumb.gif
    Drive safe
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    Cool shot. Was that hand-held? Or somehow mounted to the bike?
    Thanks -100% handheld... notice it's on the left hand. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I leave for Duluth next week for the Very Boring Rally II sponsored by Aerostitch - a very good source for motorcycle riding gear.
    Lucky dog, it looks like a very boring, albeit good time. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I just got my motorcycle license 10 days ago. I bought this bike last night. I'm sure I'll have more shots as time goes by :D:D

Hey Travis, congratulations on the new bike.
    Accidents can happen anywhere, not even on the road,
    I speak from experience rolleyes1.gif trust me I almost killed meself, and I didn't even leave the house rolleyes1.gif

I do worry when I see the way so many motorcyclists ride,
    and also the way so many car and truck drivers behave around MC's too.

Get yourself some good safety gear, and be careful, they don't offer you a lot of protection bikes, but they are great way to travel, had a couple myself in my youth thumb.gif

Ride carefully ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    Late to the party...again.

Congrats on the bike and props for something "vintage". Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

I think WA works for bikes.

220272461_Tai8r-M.jpg

331671187_aTdsb-M.jpg

Off the bars is OK. But be sure your camera is secured to you or the bike--and never, ever be afraid to let the camera go if you need to control the motorcycle.

Again, congrats and many safe and enjoyable rides to you thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    ian408 wrote:

Off the bars is OK. But be sure your camera is secured to you or the bike--and never, ever be afraid to let the camera go if you need to control the motorcycle.
    I've been suggesting the lanyard thing that you do! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I've been suggesting the lanyard thing that you do! thumb.gif
    Be sure to get one with a quick release thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Late to the party...again.

Congrats on the bike and props for something "vintage". Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

I think WA works for bikes.

Again, congrats and many safe and enjoyable rides to you thumb.gif

Thanks Ian!

I'm starting to get more comfortable with taking my left hand of the handlebar. I'll probably barrow Schmoo's P&S (if she'll let me) soon.

One other question, I've noticed it here and in a few other places I've talked about it. Why is "vintage" always in quotes? Is it because it's old, but not "classic?"
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Thanks Ian!

I'm starting to get more comfortable with taking my left hand of the handlebar. I'll probably barrow Schmoo's P&S (if she'll let me) soon.

One other question, I've noticed it here and in a few other places I've talked about it. Why is "vintage" always in quotes? Is it because it's old, but not "classic?"

I used quotes mostly because I don't know that your bike exactly qualifies as vintage in the truest sense.

Forget about the P&S for a while. Learn to ride the motorcycle first--no offence but you are too new a rider to be futzing about with that yet.