DSS M1: Theme worthy??

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was out scouting locations on Wednesday and happened on a tiny little town where a group of teenagers were spending the afternoon jumping off the local pier. Grabbed a few frames and liked these two best. Technically, there is an 'element' in this shot but I'm wondering if anyone thinks these shots actually encompass the theme.:dunno
I'm going to explore the second of three concepts this weekend. Any thoughts are, as always, greatly appreciated.
E

352552262_Y5V97-L.jpg

352552435_EVxLB-L.jpg

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    It's a tough call E... element is a very difficult subject to me... these are both pretty nice shots for a family photo album... The main nit is the back ground which pretty much envelops both the subjects heads, very distracting... and that's the other thing the element water isn't the subject... I think you will need a shot where the element in question is the main subject...

good luck, pretty stiff competition...thumb.gif

Winston
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    Thanks Winston.
    I liked these shots for taking me 'out of my element' (no pun intended). It felt a bit forced as far as fitting the theme. Wanted someone else to confirm that to motivate my next attempt(s).
    I'm hoping that today's shoot works out well. If it comes to it, my 3rd concept has the potential to do some serious damage to myself and/or my homeeek7.gif
    E
    edited August 16, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    my 3rd concept has the potential to do some serious damage to myself and/or my homeeek7.gif
    E

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    focus and nice colors
    I like the sharpen (I have an obsession with focus...). The colors are perfect. I wish to be there...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    #1 seem a fun-r pic to me
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 16, 2008
    Second Concept
    Thanks again for the earlier comments.
    Here's concept #2. Long story as to how I found this and ended up with this shot but would greatly appreciate your comments/critiques. I did use a polarizing filter and am unsure if the sky turned out too polarized. This was the only way I could cut down the shutter speed to show motion.
    Looking forward to your thoughts.
    E

Title pending
    353054564_gWoqJ-L.jpg

or this with some different processing
    353067653_kJrYo-L.jpg
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    I wonder if just shooting one whirly gig with the sun poking through the blades as they spin would be better?

I like this idea better than your other one with the kids jumping from the pier.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    davev wrote:
    I wonder if just shooting one whirly gig with the sun poking through the blades as they spin would be better?

I like this idea better than your other one with the kids jumping from the pier.

I agree - on both counts. thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    I really like your second concept, and I agree about seeing what one in isolation looks like. I'd also be curious to see something from an even lower perspective, both with the lot of them and with just one. The movement is great! thumb.gif
    edited August 16, 2008
    Thank you!
    Davev - great point. Separation is a bit of a problem here. Tried to get some of that with the very low angle. Agree about having a hint of sun shining through. I'll have to see if the wife allows a reshoot on Wednesday.

VelvtRide - Thanks for the comments

Kerry - I don't know that I could go any lower. As it was, I only just discovered that my tripod was 'reversible' and had the camera touching the ground (upside down) to shoot this version.:D Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Appreciate all the comments and will try to incorporate them into a reshoot if/when that is possible. I posted in the entry thread to make sure there was something there. I also wanted to make sure I properly embedded the exif mwink.gif

This is the 'big picture' of the shoot by the way
    353137360_2Rrb5-L.jpg

E
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    If you take the camera off the tripod, I bet you can get lower. mwink.gif

That is an extremely cool find!! A T&S lens could be hella fun in that setup. Kudos on such a neat discovery. thumb.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    I like the one you have entered. Great color and concept.
    edited August 17, 2008
    i like this one minus the big shadow & tree upper right

353137360_2Rrb5-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 17, 2008
    You're killing me Aaron! That was just a quick shot taken as I was leaving to show the location for a 'behind the scenes' thread if that starts up for this round...
    I took a number of shots from angles above the pinwheels but all lacked impact. I think getting under them is what helps bring some impact to the shot.
    E
    edited August 17, 2008
    Second Concept - Take 2
    Bought my own pinwheels and took advantage of another beautiful day to try another couple of shots. Any of these look stronger than the current entry?
    Appreciate your time.
    E

353558514_qHnjG-L.jpg

353558698_jnYom-L.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I like your current entry more than these last two attempts. thumb.gif

I was away for the weekend just checked the board only a few minutes ago and your current entry really caught my eye. And, like Aaron I also like the wider angle shot. If you were able to do a reshoot of that with some of the pinwheels moving, you could have another cool shot for consideration. deal.gif
    edited August 17, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    You're killing me Aaron! That was just a quick shot taken as I was leaving to show the location for a 'behind the scenes' thread if that starts up for this round...
    I took a number of shots from angles above the pinwheels but all lacked impact. I think getting under them is what helps bring some impact to the shot.
    E

i think i liked it because it reminded me of the wizard of oz.....
    ne_nau.gif

sorry i always have the odd opinion of the group:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 17, 2008
    out of those last two i like the first...why? i dont know....maybe four wind thingys remind me again of the four stars on the wizard of ozrolleyes1.gif

wow i didnt know that show had such an affect on me:D

wait there are five...lol
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 17, 2008
    Out of these 2 I like the first one the best... it's more symmetrical... I really like the one you posted thoughne_nau.gif I think it's a toss up... you might have to flip a coin...

Good luck,
    Winston
    edited August 19, 2008
    yet another version
    Alright, worked on this one the other day. Includes the 's' shape of the pinwheels and some motion. I think I prefer the entered one as it feels like it has 'tension' in it which this is lacking but would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    E

354823660_fxNTu-L
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    The angle of this overview shot is more engaging. The S-Shape takes to very nicely to the clouds in the horizon. Your most recent attempt is missing that.

353137360_2Rrb5-L.jpg

Your current entry still beats either of these two out, though. mwink.gif This is such a cool exhibit/sculpture.
    edited August 19, 2008
    i like the higher pov better than this one too, but i dont think anything is wrong with your current entry... imo

eoren1 wrote:
    Alright, worked on this one the other day. Includes the 's' shape of the pinwheels and some motion. I think I prefer the entered one as it feels like it has 'tension' in it which this is lacking but would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    E

354823660_fxNTu-L
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thank you both! Not least of which because I can stop messing with these shots and start working on the growing backlog of my kids' photos :D
    E