Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Welcome David!

andy wrote:
    thanks for taking on the responsibility, david :D

we're fortunate to have you here.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Hi David, welcome aboard! Now, book a ticket to Yosemite!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi David, welcome aboard! Now, book a ticket to Yosemite!
    Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be expecting that fez hat with the DGrin logo on it any day now in the mail. :D Andy tells me it is required to wear it any time I post a reply.

Yosemite will still be there when I can make it, which, unfortunately won't be in May. Tooooo busy at work (biggest month actually) in cycling retailing up north here. Gonna make for some late night log-ins for me for a while. Now, when an August-March shoot-out happens, count me there (if its in a warm place, hint).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be expecting that fez hat with the DGrin logo on it any day now in the mail. :D Andy tells me it is required to wear it any time I post a reply.

Yosemite will still be there when I can make it, which, unfortunately won't be in May. Tooooo busy at work (biggest month actually) in cycling retailing up north here. Gonna make for some late night log-ins for me for a while. Now, when an August-March shoot-out happens, count me there (if its in a warm place, hint).
    Hey, can't be that busy, y'all have two feet of snow on the ground! naughty.gif :haha

Cycling, eh? That should pique Patch29's interest.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

I am rapidly falling in the same boat, the next three weeks are getting super busy, so Yosemite is fading for now. I will most likely have time in July to travel.

I may make it to Chicago towards the end of the year. My brother will be working on his MBA at Northwestern. I will try to get there before it gets to cold to bike.

I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker and my mountain bike is a Rock Lobster, just waiting to get some dry days to take it on some of the local trails. If I don't go to school I may live off my bike for a while. :D I would really like to log some miles on the Great Divide Trails and many others.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Welcome David, as a cyclist, I'm sure you're ready for the initiation ritual... or is it just New England teams that use the paddle???

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited April 25, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Welcome David, as a cyclist, I'm sure you're ready for the initiation ritual... or is it just New England teams that use the paddle???

:hide

Paddles, eh? With all the Mod.'s going to Yosemite, I am safer staying put here in the midwest. Now... pedals I can deal with. Paddles I'm not so sure. ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited April 26, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Paddles, eh? With all the Mod.'s going to Yosemite, I am safer staying put here in the midwest. Now... pedals I can deal with. Paddles I'm not so sure. ne_nau.gif
    Pedals? sheesh, I'd take a nice flat paddle over an Eggbeater Ti anyday! (unless of course I got to keep them after the ordeal...)

this:
    Junior-Spanking-Paddle.jpg

or this:
    CrankBrothersEggBeaterTi.jpg

kind of a lose-lose situation...
    :uhoh
    Erik

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Pedals? sheesh, I'd take a nice flat paddle over an Eggbeater Ti anyday! (unless of course I got to keep them after the ordeal...)

this:
    Junior-Spanking-Paddle.jpg

or this:
    CrankBrothersEggBeaterTi.jpg

kind of a lose-lose situation...
    :uhoh
    All my pedal powered bikes sport Time dirt pedals. Are there really any others?? rolleyes1.gif

Welcome to the friendly forums of dgrin, Davidthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 26, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    All my pedal powered bikes sport Time dirt pedals. Are there really any others?? rolleyes1.gif
    I used to agree with you... till I tried some egg beaters! I'd love a pair of the Ti ones. So much less crap to break. I got sick of replacing plastic parts on the lighter Times and the aluminum ones are just too damn big and heavy.

so there.
    Erik

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Welcome to 'under the bed' david... btw..didnt we already do this headscratch.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I used to agree with you... till I tried some egg beaters! I'd love a pair of the Ti ones. So much less crap to break. I got sick of replacing plastic parts on the lighter Times and the aluminum ones are just too damn big and heavy.

so there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Welcome aboard David thumb.gif

I have every confidence that you'll keep this place running while the rest of us are off playing at Yosemite mwink.gif Sorry you won't be able to join us there. But, as you point out, work pays the bills ne_nau.gif

BTW, we only wear the fez on solemn occassions, like initiations :lol

Good to have you here David :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited April 26, 2005
    This thread has turned hilarious in short order. (and BTW, I'm a Look man on the road, and an SPD man on path and trails, for the curious, or if you're all starting some database on DGrinner's pedal preferences).

So, who else is staying back to mind this store in May? Or does my name get to appear as a temp. mod. in all the forums? GULP! :help

Thanks for the Fez hat tip, Steve. It still has yet to arrive. :cry

Welcome aboard David thumb.gif

I have every confidence that you'll keep this place running while the rest of us are off playing at Yosemite mwink.gif Sorry you won't be able to join us there. But, as you point out, work pays the bills ne_nau.gif

BTW, we only wear the fez on solemn occassions, like initiations :lol

Good to have you here David :D

Steve
    My Smugmug
    edited April 27, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    This thread has turned hilarious in short order. (and BTW, I'm a Look man on the road, and an SPD man on path and trails, for the curious, or if you're all starting some database on DGrinner's pedal preferences).

So, who else is staying back to mind this store in May? Or does my name get to appear as a temp. mod. in all the forums? GULP! :help

Thanks for the Fez hat tip, Steve. It still has yet to arrive. :cry
    I'm not off to play in California either. We can wreak havoc together thumb.gif
    Erik

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Road pedals
    Well, to each his own, but I've been using these

coombe_pro_pedal_system.jpg

http://www.coombe.com/coombe_pro_pedal_system.html for 3 years and they really are just the cat's meow. There only moving parts are pedal rotation. The cleats have no springs at all. The pedal/clean combo weighs in as light as anything else. Lowest clearance in the business. And nothing to break.

The only problem is actually getting them. They seem to be made by a couple of guys in a garage in Colorado who would rather be cycling than working. You order via the web and they come. Just not as quickly as you might like.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 28, 2005
    wow, them are fancy. I don't really get how they work, but I'll take your word for it thumb.gif
    Erik

• MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Excellent.......
    David has always been a good contributor wherever his presence has been made.

Break out the cone of silence........
    rolleyes1.gif

andy wrote:
    thanks for taking on the responsibility, david :D

we're fortunate to have you here.
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!