Options

Embeded slideshow images look pixely. Remedy?

Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited August 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi Folks,

I just embeded a slideshow on to the front page of my site. (www.lifesharephoto.om). I used the embed code provided in the wiki. I like it but the images are looking heavily compressed with lots jpg artifacts and look very "pixely". I originally put the hi rez version on line and thought maybe since its resizing them, that's why it's happening. So I resized the images to exact size of the slideshow and they still look the same. If you look at the images in the gallery, they look clean. But those same images look quite compressed in the slideshow.

Any idea how to fix this???

Comments

• Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Anybody???
    Hi Folks,

I just embeded a slideshow on to the front page of my site. (www.lifesharephoto.om). I used the embed code provided in the wiki. I like it but the images are looking heavily compressed with lots jpg artifacts and look very "pixely". I originally put the hi rez version on line and thought maybe since its resizing them, that's why it's happening. So I resized the images to exact size of the slideshow and they still look the same. If you look at the images in the gallery, they look clean. But those same images look quite compressed in the slideshow.

Any idea how to fix this???

Anybody???
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Anybody???
    Be more specific, pixely? show an example shot? I'm not seeing it.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Example...
    Andy wrote:
    Be more specific, pixely? show an example shot? I'm not seeing it.

Hi Andy,

Here is an image from my gallery (which feeds the slideshow). It is the 4th picture in the slideshow. When that image shows in the slideshow, it is very noticeably degraded. Lots of jpg artifacts and just rougher looking. But in the gallery it looks a lot cleaner.

Please tell me you can see it. I'd be very suprised if you couldn't.

Is this normal?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    OK Lou what am I looking for now?

20080818-dyue51ha465s61e795cnfjj9x7.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    OK Lou what am I looking for now?

20080818-dyue51ha465s61e795cnfjj9x7.jpg

Look at the their faces. Are you telling me they look the same to you? The slideshow image is way more "pixely". A lot of compression jpg artifacts are in their now. You don't see it?
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Look at the their faces. Are you telling me they look the same to you? The slideshow image is way more "pixely". A lot of compression jpg artifacts are in their now. You don't see it?

I don't know if this is your problem, but I was having poor results with my slideshow until someone explained if you use the already rendered stock sizes instead of a custom size that has to be rendered on the fly, they look better.

forceSize: 'LargeURL'
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    I don't know if this is your problem, but I was having poor results with my slideshow untill someone explained if you use the already rendered stock sizes instead of a custom size that has to be rendered on the fly, they look better.

Ah interesting! I'll try that. Thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I don't know if this is your problem, but I was having poor results with my slideshow until someone explained if you use the already rendered stock sizes instead of a custom size that has to be rendered on the fly, they look better.

forceSize: 'LargeURL'

Just remember that if you force the size, then the slideshow can no longer adapt to the viewers screen size, depriving them of the option of a full screen slideshow on a 30" monitor. I've seen some slideshows that are simply gorgeous on large monitors.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Just remember that if you force the size, then the slideshow can no longer adapt to the viewers screen size, depriving them of the option of a full screen slideshow on a 30" monitor. I've seen some slideshows that are simply gorgeous on large monitors.

Yes, but this is for the home page slideshow, not the fullscreen slideshow, which you probably want a fixed size.
  • Options
    J WinnJ Winn Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Yes, but this is for the home page slideshow, not the fullscreen slideshow, which you probably want a fixed size.

Just to throw my support in here as well...I am having the exact same problem as the OP. I looked at his slideshow and the pics look like mine...very pixelated and blurry.

I hope that the solution can be found. No photographer wants blurry photos to be the first thing they see when they go onto your site.

Joe

www.winningphotography.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn wrote:
    Just to throw my support in here as well...I am having the exact same problem as the OP. I looked at his slideshow and the pics look like mine...very pixelated and blurry.

I hope that the solution can be found. No photographer wants blurry photos to be the first thing they see when they go onto your site.

Joe

I am not seeing "pixelated and blurry". This is a screen shot from your home page slideshow below. Is this what you are seeing? If not, then can you please post a screen shot of what you are seeing and maybe folks can troubleshoot why you see something different than this. If this is what you are seeing, can you help explain where the pixelated and blurry is because it isn't obvious to me.

354589915_r9cqB-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn wrote:

Joe

Wow! I'm honestly floored that only you and I see it. Seriously. The images are obviously getting compressed in the process of being converted into the slideshow. Looks like they screen capped your homepage slideshow as well. I see a whole bunch of jpg artifacts which I would guess are not in the original. All I can say is my shots are not clean and crisp as are my originals. If they don't see it now. They never will. ne_nau.gif

It's not lke we're making this up. I have much better things to do that to complain about this. I guess it's ok but I'm not sure if lives up to my expectations. I love having the ability to do dynamically create the slideshow, but the pictures are being degraded in the process, which to me is unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Here is how it should look on the slideshow. Now go and look at my slideshow and take a screen shot.

If you don't see the IQ difference then there is a problem.

346752899_cBfQk-XL.jpg
    346752820_3fmad-XL.jpg
    346753249_s3PTb-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn,

I see it! Clear as day. Your images are suffering from the same issue as me. Like I said I really can't beleive they are not seeing it. You images are VERY sharp but the slideshow version of the same image has taken a real beating.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn,

I see it! Clear as day. Your images are suffering from the same issue as me. Like I said I really can't beleive they are not seeing it. You images are VERY sharp but the slideshow version of the same image has taken a real beating.

Ok, so two of us see the problem. I was taken aback that Andy couldn't see it clearly with the images side by side. I'm not the best photographer in the world but I can tell a sharp picture from one that isn't.
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I am seeing the pixelation in both your sites. They have very heavy pixelation especially around all your edges.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn wrote:
    Ok, so two of us see the problem. I was taken aback that Andy couldn't see it clearly with the images side by side. I'm not the best photographer in the world but I can tell a sharp picture from one that isn't.

What ISP are you guys using?
    What browser?
    What monitors and resolutions?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    J Winn wrote:

Yeah I was really suprised by that as well.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What ISP are you guys using?
    What browser?
    What monitors and resolutions?

Verizon Fios 20/20 download/upload
    IE7
    Samsung 21" wide (206BW) 2ms response 1680x1050
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    J Winn,

Lou, could you try enabling the 'originals' in the gallery settings for the slide show gallery. The original images are 453x680 and you have the galllery set for 'large', so it could be we are trying to make a new display size, when we could could be using the original. I tried it at my end and it made a difference for me :)
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Here are my Bio settings for the slideshow. Note the use of the forceSize comand.
    The comma after each line except the last one is critical.
    I happen to use a 16x9 ratio picture. This solved the problem for me.

var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '3319757',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://www.dennismullen.com/photos/185556714_a64ne-XL-2.jpg',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickUrl: 'http://www.dennismullen.com/galleries',
    showThumbs: 'false',
    showButtons: 'false',
    randomStart: 'true',
    splashDelay: '4000',
    forceSize: 'XLargeURL',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350'
    };

SM.flash.insertSlideshow(1024, 576, ssConfig, 'transparent');
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Lou, could you try enabling the 'originals' in the gallery settings for the slide show gallery. The original images are 453x680 and you have the galllery set for 'large', so it could be we are trying to make a new display size, when we could could be using the original. I tried it at my end and it made a difference for me :)
    Rich is so smart thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Rich is so smart thumb.gif

Originals were always enabled for me and it's not working. And I upload full sized pics.

Any ideas?

Maybe take a look at my slideshow code? I dunno...
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Looks like I finally got it working. I had a slightly older code in the bio box.

Here's what I ended up with and it works.

********>
    var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '3949165',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://www.smugmug.com/img/ria/ShizamSlides/smugmug_black.png',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickUrl: 'http://www.winningphotography.com',
    showThumbs: 'true',
    showButtons: 'false',
    forceSize: 'LargeURL',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350'
    };
    SM.flash.insertSlideshow(750, 750, ssConfig, 'transparent');
    </********
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    richW wrote:

Hey that worked! That little fact should be in the wiki! Thanks!!!