what's a "35mm digital camera"?

weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all,

I'm trying to sign up for a photography composition course, which requires a "35mm or Medium Format camera (digital or film)". I'm a bit confused. 35mm film cameras are the standard ones, right? And I'm pretty sure medium format cameras, digital or otherwise, are extremely expensive things I don't need to worry about right now. But what's a 35mm digital camera?? I don't think this category actually exists... Any guesses on what they mean?

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    My interpretation of a 35mm digital camera would be a digital SLR (Single Lens Reflect).

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    The intent is probably a digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera, and I'll bet they aren't going to care if the sensor size is actually 35mm since most digital SLRs use the smaller APS sensor size (about 25mm x 17mm).

However, there are now "full frame" digital SLRs which use the 36mm by 24mm sensor size. That is the closest digital equivalent to a 35mm film frame camera and gives you the same "look." It's what you find in a Canon 5D or a Nikon D3. I'll still sure they aren't requiring that, because they're expensive!

They probably just mean "can you stick a different lens on it."
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 16, 2008
    The emphasis of the class will probably be "manual control" of the camera and understanding how the camera works and how light and exposure are related.

By all means do ask the school and the instructor for clarification before you purchase anything.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The emphasis of the class will probably be "manual control" of the camera and understanding how the camera works and how light and exposure are related.

By all means do ask the school and the instructor for clarification before you purchase anything.
    I have to agree with these. A couple of years ago, I looked into taking a photography course at the local Community College. They specified a 35mm camera. I queried - would my dRebel satisfy the requirement. Nope, they wanted a 35mm FILM camera.

OK, film bodies aren't that expensive and I would find one that would be compatible with my camera, but I wasn't interested in film - been there done that and wanted to move forward. I asked if I could promise to shoot only manual, and deliver photos SOOC (convert RAW to JPG with no PS intervention). They wouldn't hear of it. Oh well....

Thank the stars for DGrin and other net resources. There's lots of information and lots of help available for the asking. I've learned so much here that it's almost funny to think that I was interested in a photography class just a couple of years ago. I've actually had people suggest that I should consider TEACHING a photo class - yeah, like that's going to happen real soon when I have a just a vague idea of just how much I DON'T know about photography.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I have to agree with these. A couple of years ago, I looked into taking a photography course at the local Community College. They specified a 35mm camera. I queried - would my dRebel satisfy the requirement. Nope, they wanted a 35mm FILM camera.

OK, film bodies aren't that expensive and I would find one that would be compatible with my camera, but I wasn't interested in film - been there done that and wanted to move forward. I asked if I could promise to shoot only manual, and deliver photos SOOC (convert RAW to JPG with no PS intervention). They wouldn't hear of it. Oh well....

Thank the stars for DGrin and other net resources. There's lots of information and lots of help available for the asking. I've learned so much here that it's almost funny to think that I was interested in a photography class just a couple of years ago. I've actually had people suggest that I should consider TEACHING a photo class - yeah, like that's going to happen real soon when I have a just a vague idea of just how much I DON'T know about photography.

A lot of photography classes deal largely with black-and-white darkroom techniques during the time in the classroom/darkroom. The projects and critiques are then designed to work on the darkroom skills themselves as much as the overall composition.

But if you are looking to work fully digital there are many classes and workshops like that now so just keep an eye out.
  • weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks, everyone!

I checked with the instructor, and she said a digital compact with full manual control should be okay. Which makes sense, since it's a composition class anyway, not a technical class. Yay! I was getting worried about all the interesting classes requiring SLRs (which I'd really like but can't afford)...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    weronika wrote:
    Thanks, everyone!

I checked with the instructor, and she said a digital compact with full manual control should be okay. Which makes sense, since it's a composition class anyway, not a technical class. Yay! I was getting worried about all the interesting classes requiring SLRs (which I'd really like but can't afford)...

That's great.

I hope they correct the course description to save other's the worry.

I hope to see some of "your" work from the class here at the Digital Grin. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums