DSS Mega 1...Tough decisions..critiques?

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
After 2- 8 hours days of shooting and reshooting and trying out different ways of interpreting the Elements theme....I came up with the elements of christianity. I will post it here....but I have entered it. I know its an unusual angle and set up....what do you think? Comments and critiques are appreciated.
353159756_FQui5-L-2.jpg

Just so you can see this wasn't my only shot...here are others I came up with....

Element of surpize...
353178061_tWFM5-L.jpg

Elements of Christianity...
353178165_Ssocu-L.jpg

353178221_E2xxe-L.jpg

353178083_JMzn6-L.jpg

Rushing Spirit...
353178315_bivoN-L.jpg

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I love the concept. I actually thought about bread and wine as "the elements" of Communion, too. Great minds and all that . . . But I couldn't think of how to make it work. You're on to something here.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    u even have the sky for air
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    thanks guys...its great what you can do with mirrors. I spent a whole day in the studio and finally came out for a break and saw it was just after a rain the the sky was clearing....had to lighten it up a bit and took the shoot outside!!
    edited August 17, 2008
    i guess next question is how did you do that cross?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 17, 2008
    i guess next question is how did you do that cross?
    simple lightening of the color using a dodge tool.
    edited August 17, 2008
    how do you stay straight?
    Aaron Nelson
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    JAG-
    Cool idea and great use of the mirror to add another element (pun intended this time). I was a bit stuck between the first and lost shot in this thread. I think I like your entry a bit more as it is an unconventional perspective.
    I think it's amazing that the first three entries have such divergent takes on the theme.clap.gif
    Good luck,
    E
    edited August 17, 2008
    how do you stay straight?
    Its like finger painting. One finger on the touchpad.
    edited August 17, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    JAG-
    Cool idea and great use of the mirror to add another element (pun intended this time). I was a bit stuck between the first and lost shot in this thread. I think I like your entry a bit more as it is an unconventional perspective.
    I think it's amazing that the first three entries have such divergent takes on the theme.clap.gif
    Good luck,
    E

Thanks E. I was also tossed between those two...but I liked this one better as it took much less processing...just sharpening, crop and lightening of a few pixels. Plus the angle kinda draws you into it to find balance.

I think that this is going to be a very tough competition. Good luck to you too!:D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Awesome concept, Joyce! I like the first shot very much. The composition of the last one is also very appealing, but the cloud area around the bottle looks a little weird to me. headscratch.gif

I say, with regard to the challenge, "you chose wisely". :D

Good luck to you!
    edited August 17, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Awesome concept, Joyce! I like the first shot very much. The composition of the last one is also very appealing, but the cloud area around the bottle looks a little weird to me. headscratch.gif

I say, with regard to the challenge, "you chose wisely". :D

Good luck to you!

Thanks. Yes I agree with you on the last pic. The way that one was done was I used two mirrors. One on the bottom and then one held up at an angle by my lil daughter to capture the clouds behind me. I had to bend way over to keep my reflection out of the pic.(I am unable to squat and had I been thinking I would have sat on a chair...lol). The problem with that shot is that there are fancy metal frames around the mirrors. I cloned them out...but not too successful as it became tedious. I also had taken two shots of the same image with one focused on the elements and one focused on the clouds then layered the images on top of each other and erased one of the images part way so that both were in focus. Spent alot of time on it and still wasn't happy completely. Thus another reason I went with the one I did. ty for looking and commenting.
    edited August 17, 2008
    Heres another take on the side shot with a new background instead of the original reflections of clouds. It cleans it up some....and its a closer look at the elements.....what do you think? I am still leaning on the cleaner look of the one that is entered...but trying all my options.
    353856134_4rSmz-L.jpg
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I still prefer your first version. The angle really helps make the shot. thumb.gif
    edited August 17, 2008
    I'm thinking so too. I guess I should put this to rest and just stick with what I have. Been working on this for three days now....sometimes its just hard to stop! Know what I mean?eek7.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I'm thinking so too. I guess I should put this to rest and just stick with what I have. Been working on this for three days now....sometimes its just hard to stop! Know what I mean?eek7.gif

I agree. Just relax for now. There's time to change your mind later this week if you really want to. You have a good solid entry in there now.

I'm sifting through a few that I took this weekend but I think I need to reshoot. Isn't it weird how they always seem to look good when you check them on the LCD and then when you bring them up on your computer screen they look blah :nah ?