Holding your monopod up in the air

mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited August 21, 2008 in Sports
I was at the Monterery Historic Car Races this weekend, and saw a photographer using an interesting approach. Hadn't seen this before so thought I'd share it.... He had camera and flash mounted on a monopod. He also had a remote trigger taped half way down the monopod. At the time, I was shooting a great looking Porsche. I felt like I wanted to stand on the car to get a better angle. Just then this guys walks up as if to say, "let me know ya' how, sonnie." When he held it in the air, he was probably 10' or more over the car.

Gonna try this next time. Anyone use this before (as I ask this, I guessing I'm probably the last person here not to have heard about it :rofl ).

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    I've done it with a remote trigger before. Works pretty well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ropeboyropeboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Overhead shot on the beach
    ian408 wrote:
    I've done it with a remote trigger before. Works pretty well.
    I have used an extendable painters pole, the kind for paint rollers. I inserted a 1/4-20 thread in the end of the pole to fit the hole in the bottom of the camera. A short remote trigger cable can be extended by a similar extention cord available at Radio Shack. I was able to get all the faces of the starting line runners on a beach, not just the front row of faces.
    Beach photo
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I've used a monopod to shoot over a fence before - WW2 bomber visiting the local airport, I got there after they had locked up for the night, and I didn't know if I would get back again the next day. I didn't have a remote, but since it wasn't moving, I used the self-timer. I just held the camera up over the top of the fence and let it shoot. Took two or three times until I had it framed right.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I haven't done that with my still camera yet, but I do that quite often with my video camera. It definately helps me get shots (at events) that others can't get because of the crowd.
    ~ Lisa
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I would rec-O-mend putting a strap on the body, and fasten it to the pole. I had my Mk2n fall out of a quick release on the tripod. Fortunately, I had my strap on it, which was unusual, and it hung up before hitting the floor. wings.gif
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I do the monopod trick with the camera but also with remote flash when I need to. Its a very handy way to make a shot more interesting.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Ah! you've given me an idea for a new monopod using one of the neater painter poles I saw at Home Depot today. I would need to build a flat area on top of the pole so it could accommodate a BH-40 or BH-55 (RSS Ballheads). There were a couple very interesting non-twistlock poles at Home Depot with click stops for height adjustment that would make a great monopod. I do like the idea of adding some camera strap retaining piece for when the camera falls off the bracket. Add a place for a Pocket Wizard mount so you can do it wirelessly too.

Time to break out the sketch book.