Options

Another Item to Remove

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 18, 2008 in Finishing School
The manager of this hotel really likes this photo and is wanting to use it to advertise the fine dining restaurant. However, he does not like the hi-fi unit on the right hand side of him. I have tried using the last procedure in a thread I posted on removal of an object but the same procedure will not work this time. Is it possible to get rid of the hi-fi and if so what tools would I use.
Kind regards
Bob

353550463_ACMLr-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    The manager of this hotel really likes this photo and is wanting to use it to advertise the fine dining restaurant. However, he does not like the hi-fi unit on the right hand side of him. I have tried using the last procedure in a thread I posted on removal of an object but the same procedure will not work this time. Is it possible to get rid of the hi-fi and if so what tools would I use.
    Kind regards
    Bob
    The easiest option would be to just crop tighter. I'm not sure I quite understand what the objective of the photo is, but there seems to be a lot of extra space around the gentleman. How about just cropping the hi-fi unit out like this:

353586372_yjKhi-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I think you can use some cloning in PS, I tried to do a quick cloning, even my try is a bit rough, Im sure if you do this more carefully, you can achieve a lot better result. This just to show you what you can do. I dont have enough skill and patient to do this perfectly rolleyes1.gif . Hope the other guys who's a pro at PS can help you better.

353550463_acmlr-l328.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    I think you can use some cloning in PS, I tried to do a quick cloning, even my try is a bit rough, Im sure if you do this more carefully, you can achieve a lot better result. This just to show you what you can do. I dont have enough skill and patient to do this perfectly rolleyes1.gif . Hope the other guys who's a pro at PS can help you better.

353550463_acmlr-l328.jpg

Wow that is an exzcellent job well done, Can you please give me instructions on how you did it and I will practice and see if I get it anywhere near your perfection. I don't know how to clone.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    Check out this simple cloning tuts video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcJbN8CA49c

Hope that will help you in Photoshop cloning start.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The easiest option would be to just crop tighter. I'm not sure I quite understand what the objective of the photo is, but there seems to be a lot of extra space around the gentleman. How about just cropping the hi-fi unit out like this:

353586372_yjKhi-S.jpg

I agree that cropping looks to be a great solution, John.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    While you still learning your cloning skill, on this particular photo, I still have to agree with the rest of the guys, cropping the Hi-Fi out still the simplest yet best choice.
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I wouldn't clone here at all. I'd copy part of the wall and, instead of scaling it
    like in the tutorial I provided last time, I'd move it over the hi-fi. I'd do the same
    with the counter.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    While you still learning your cloning skill, on this particular photo, I still have to agree with the rest of the guys, cropping the Hi-Fi out still the simplest yet best choice.

15524779-Ti.gif IMO, it also improves the composition.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    it also improves the composition.

I disagree. The man is leaning towards the wall you want to crop. I think it
    becomes to tight after the crop for that reason. Cropping from the left would
    be better, in my opinion, but then you'd lose some of the interesting background
    and you'd still be left with the hi-fi problem.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    I disagree. The man is leaning towards the wall you want to crop. I think it
    becomes to tight after the crop for that reason. Cropping from the left would
    be better, in my opinion, but then you'd lose some of the interesting background
    and you'd still be left with the hi-fi problem.

Thanks everyone for replying to my problem. I have looked at the You Tube and I have had a go with the Clone Stamp Tool and you will see I haven't been very successful. I cannot get the edging of the bar counter and also the patern on the paper has gone. Nothing like the one that was cloned earlier which I think was an excellent job. I appreciate that a straight crop would be the easy way out but I want to learn and be in charge of my actions. Thanks again.
    Regards
    Bob

354158918_fNRzR-L.jpg
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    If it were me, which it's not, but if it were, and if he wants to use the image in his advertising, I'd reshoot with the following changes:

1. Remove the stereo, obviously, and maybe replace it with some fresh flowers.

2. Lose that little blue dot or whatever it is to the right of his head.

3. Lose that green sign to the left of the clock.

4. I'm not sure about the clock itself.

5. Lose the CD in front of him.

6. I'm not sure about that black rectangular pad in front of him.

7. Neatly restock the shelves behind him with some finer liquors, liquers (sp?), wines, etc, implying fine quality fare. Make people's mouths water.

8. Crop to the left of that left most vertical shelf divider.

9. If possible, lose that orange vertical window to the right of him.

10. Reshoot so that both he and the bottles in the background are in sharp focus.

Everything else you can leave as is :haha.

Just my nickel's worth (inflation you know).
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    If it were me, which it's not, but if it were, and if he wants to use the image in his advertising, I'd reshoot with the following changes:

1. Remove the stereo, obviously, and maybe replace it with some fresh flowers.

2. Lose that little blue dot or whatever it is to the right of his head.

3. Lose that green sign to the left of the clock.

4. I'm not sure about the clock itself.

5. Lose the CD in front of him.

6. I'm not sure about that black rectangular pad in front of him.

7. Neatly restock the shelves behind him with some finer liquors, liquers (sp?), wines, etc, implying fine quality fare. Make people's mouths water.

8. Crop to the left of that left most vertical shelf divider.

9. If possible, lose that orange vertical window to the right of him.

10. Reshoot so that both he and the bottles in the background are in sharp focus.

Everything else you can leave as is :haha.

Just my nickel's worth (inflation you know).

Yes you are certainly right Chuck and don't think I hadn't thought of a retake. You are certainly right about all the points you mentioned the shot certainly needs a total revamp. Thanks for sharing your comments for which I appreciate. At the end of the day I thought I may have learned something on how to remove an object with the cloning tool. Bernard has been great in the past but his last tutorial wouldn't seem to work on this shot.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Bernard has been great in the past but his last tutorial
    wouldn't seem to work on this shot.

I explained what to do differently in this shot. Instead of transforming the
    selection you need to move it. You can't expect a tutorial for every case you
    come across. There are just too many possibilities. There comes a time when
    you have to start to learn to adapt what you already know to specific cases.
    Again, cloning won't be very efficient here. You already have a section of wall
    you can use to cover up the hi-fi. You also have a section of the counter you can
    use. Try to adapt my other tutorial to this case using that information. It really
    isn't that difficult.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    I explained what to do differently in this shot. Instead of transforming the
    selection you need to move it. You can't expect a tutorial for every case you
    come across. There are just too many possibilities. There comes a time when
    you have to start to learn to adapt what you already know to specific cases.
    Again, cloning won't be very efficient here. You already have a section of wall
    you can use to cover up the hi-fi. You also have a section of the counter you can
    use. Try to adapt my other tutorial to this case using that information. It really
    isn't that difficult.

Thanks Bernard I will keep trying and thanks for all your help.
    Regards
    Bob