Options

NYC & Lady Liberty... or checking off a bucket list item...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited August 21, 2008 in Journeys
Manhattan, 10 & 11 August 2008

Some background... My Wife has an older Brother and Sister, both are married. The Brother, Kevin has a wife, Debbie, who has terminal cancer, they live in Florida. Her bucket list includes seeing the Statue of Liberty... so this travel log is about making that a reality... My Wife's Sister, Candace, married to Berry, live here in PA next town over from us...

Candace and Berry flew Kevin and Debbie up here and we all piled in their Van Sunday morning and drove to NYC. We had reservations at the Marriott Marquis on Times square...

L to R Debbie, Candace, Stacey (My DW)
350749950_Dui5w-L.jpg

Berry, talked with management when he made our reservations and got us upgraded to rooms with cosiair service overlooking Times Square...

Berry
350835355_wHBBt-L.jpg

View from the rooms, Debbie & Kevin
350777359_oPsn7-L.jpg

351376738_AuJ9e-XL.jpg

First thing we did was the Grey Line City Tour Bus, which included a boat tour that stopped in front of Ellis Island...

Berry, Candace, Stacey, Kevin, & Debbie
350744355_PDVM6-L.jpg

Here are a few shots I got from the bus...

tour guide pointing...
350823483_VMnDk-L.jpg

the Woolworth building

351328558_9iPUp-XL.jpg

another pointing tour guide
351370633_gLf7L-XL.jpg

We did get off the bus and ate at Katz's Deli...
350769360_4cFa6-L.jpg

I was most impressed with advertisements and how they change them out...
350755734_Y9a2Q-L.jpg

350818226_jcC5s-L.jpg

350820216_6njKr-L.jpg

We got up early Monday and went out to the ABC Early Show... I got a few shots of Diane Sawer...
350810275_Xxqkm-L.jpg

352845446_QCseG-L.jpg

352844717_NX8X2-L.jpg

Debbie finally did get to see Lady Liberty...
350793203_x3Zmy-L.jpg

350794070_KdJ7m-L.jpg

350796337_jpHCJ-XL.jpg

Here is a 3 shot pano of the Brooklyn bridge
351345701_5A4bt-L.jpg

We went to Central Park zoo saw the animals... I got a shot of the Plaza Hotel.
351367612_DuNtM-L.jpg

Sunday night we went to the top of the Rockefeller Center for some night shots of the city... here is another pano...
352812114_4cXak-L.jpg

I thought the flat iron building was pretty cool...
352808214_MnPpH-XL.jpg

and of course a tour of Manhattan wouldn't be complete without a shot of the Empire State Building...
353635674_HVcvf-XL.jpg

I love the way that so many building roofs have been turned into gardens!
352832751_N9VkV-L.jpg

Ground Zero... we were caught in a thunder storm and hold up in Burger King... I shot this pano from the second floor Burger King window...
350832592_gzKcS-L.jpg

Kevin & Debbie
350772742_qK6V2-L.jpg
Debbie was most pleased with the trip... She is looking forward to the next one!

My next project will be a blurb book of the trip...

Thanks for looking!

Winston

Comments

• Options
    VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Hey, i hope you enjoyed my city. :D My favorite are the pano and the shot of the watertower/buildings. It has lots of good lines. Some of your daylight shots have a lot of noise in them though.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Awsome pics! Did you shoot high ISO the whole time?
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    My heart goes out to Debbie! Great pics, but reading your intro I focused on those she was in. Love the Katz Deli Shot, and I the ones with her at the Statue of Liberty brough tears to my eyes. I lost my Mom to cancer two years ago, and at the same time my boss lost his sister in the same way. Their whole family went to Italy and he could never bring himself to look at any of the many pictures he took. I know how much strength it takes to go through an outing like this and I am happy to see that you guys had fun!

Tell Debbie that although I am a stranger, I am thinking of her!

Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    My heart goes out to Debbie! Great pics, but reading your intro I focused on those she was in. Love the Katz Deli Shot, and I the ones with her at the Statue of Liberty brough tears to my eyes. I lost my Mom to cancer two years ago, and at the same time my boss lost his sister in the same way. Their whole family went to Italy and he could never bring himself to look at any of the many pictures he took. I know how much strength it takes to go through an outing like this and I am happy to see that you guys had fun!

Tell Debbie that although I am a stranger, I am thinking of her!

Jana

Thanks Jana... I will pass along your message to her... She will appreciate it... Debbie is a real trooper...

Winston
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Hi Winston

Thanks for sharing your journey, and Debbie's story with us. I have a theory about bucket lists, and that is that we should all start them (and tend to them) well before they become 'necessary'. I am glad that Debbie is able to attend to hers.

ann
  • Options
    StuggiStuggi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I'm truly amazed by your shots, the way the colors pop and the contrast... Is it down to PP or? And tell Debbie I'll be keeping her in my thoughs.
    Sebastian

Gear:
    Digital: Olympus E-520 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm 1:4-5.6

Analog: Canon FTb with Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., Tokina 28mm 1:2.8 & Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

flickr
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    Stuggi wrote:
    I'm truly amazed by your shots, the way the colors pop and the contrast... Is it down to PP or? And tell Debbie I'll be keeping her in my thoughs.

It is a good deal post processing work, curves mostly... with that said any image still needs to be exposed, composed and focused well to get decent results in post processing... I'll let Debbie know she is in your thoughts...

Thanks
    Winston
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Winston

Thanks for sharing your journey, and Debbie's story with us. I have a theory about bucket lists, and that is that we should all start them (and tend to them) well before they become 'necessary'. I am glad that Debbie is able to attend to hers.

ann

Hi Ann...

It is very true (not just a theory) what you say concerning bucket lists... Life is pretty fragile and anyone could leave this life at any moment...

How has the Canadian summer been this year... it has been very mild here for August, I think we are in for a very cold winter this year...

Take Care
    Winston