Hoodoos- Toadstools- Spires

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Landscapes
Whatever you call them- they are cool and worth a hike to get there.

353248509_2xCXp-XL.jpg

353249481_VpMdy-XL.jpg

Color or Back & White??
3a.
353251193_KdVy3-XL.jpg

3b.
353253549_5GCwh-XL.jpg

353250644_3W5KY-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always apreciated.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I think you got the colors on these right! Having said that...naturally...IMHO...the color version.
    Did you take these in the afternoon? If so, a special kudos with the color!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    More great shots Aaron. clap.gif Your images have convinced me to head to Page.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Nice Shots Aaron! I say go for the color.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    I think you got the colors on these right! Having said that...naturally...IMHO...the color version.
    Did you take these in the afternoon? If so, a special kudos with the color!

Yes this were shot with the sun way to high and bright but I didn't have much choice in the matter. I was actually just scouting the area for a future trip so am quite pleased with the results.

Thanks for the comments.

Aaron Newman

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    i really like your compositional choices here.
    #2 i really enjoy the lines/symmetery, with the time of shot considered you sure dont show any harsh light....sign of someone that is right on with their equipment...i wish i could be that good! any filters?

the problem with allot of areas like these is you cant wait for the magic hour because the shadows take over before the light hits just right, so you will need to scout at that time to insure your compositions will work at "golden hour"....

just make sure to swing by and pick me up first...:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 18, 2008
    i really like your compositional choices here.
    #2 i really enjoy the lines/symmetery, with the time of shot considered you sure dont show any harsh light....sign of someone that is right on with their equipment...i wish i could be that good! any filters?

the problem with allot of areas like these is you cant wait for the magic hour because the shadows take over before the light hits just right, so you will need to scout at that time to insure your compositions will work at "golden hour"....

just make sure to swing by and pick me up first...:D

Thanks for the comments Aaron. I'll let you know next time I am in that area if you let me know the next time you are hitting the North Rim. deal.gif

Nope- no filters. It was a mad dash type shoot- had about 2 hours to hike in shoot and hike back as it was getting to be time to head back home- a 5 hour drive.

I hear what you are saying about scouting during the time you are going to shoot but- wouldn't you just be able to shoot right then?? mwink.gif This will be a sunrise shoot as part of my pre-shoot for the dgrin shootout in October so I had that in mind. Depending on the actual spot the sun rises in October will be the only thing I can't calculate- otherwise I have a pretty good idea of how to shoot this place for sunrise and early morning light. Can't wait. wings.gif

Aaron Newman

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    ofcourse you will be shooting smarty pants...you know what i mean.

there are so many compositions of specific areas i wish had direct exposure to the setting sun....

anyway, the toroweap trip i can do anytime i do not have pager duty...
    and im still waiting for havasu dates from someone thoughdeal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 18, 2008
    ofcourse you will be shooting smarty pants...you know what i mean.

there are so many compositions of specific areas i wish had direct exposure to the setting sun....

anyway, the toroweap trip i can do anytime i do not have pager duty...
    and im still waiting for havasu dates from someone thoughdeal.gif

Well need to see what damage this caused.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gqaCenny-50jvG0nV16P40tF0FTAD92KKU5G0

Aaron Newman

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Aaron,

I've shot those things, so I know how difficult it is to get a good composition on them. I was never happy with my shots. You've done OK with the composition, but you haven't found the magic spot that really works. They're all OK. That's pretty much where I ended up, too. ne_nau.gif

Also, watch your time of day and the quality of your light.

Have you thought about going out to shoot at night, and do some painting with light? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Aaron,

I've shot those things, so I know how difficult it is to get a good composition on them. I was never happy with my shots. You've done OK with the composition, but you haven't found the magic spot that really works. They're all OK. That's pretty much where I ended up, too. ne_nau.gif

Also, watch your time of day and the quality of your light.

Have you thought about going out to shoot at night, and do some painting with light? ear.gif

Like I said- this was more of a scouting run for the pre-shoot to the shootout. Time of day sucked and I didn't have much time. I also had a non photographer with me that was trying to take pictures.

I agree - these are just OK. For the pre-shoot my group will be here long before sunrise so there will be time for painting with light and the proper light to take better shots.

Composition is all in the eye of the beholder and at that specific time. I could go back here 20 times and shoot it 20 different ways- just like the slot canyons. The biggest factor is the lighting- many shots I wanted just couldn't work because of the lighting.

Aaron Newman

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Like I said- this was more of a scouting run for the pre-shoot to the shootout. Time of day sucked and I didn't have much time. I also had a non photographer with me that was trying to take pictures.

Oh. Reading is hard, don't you know! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    #! is my fav. Nice exposure and composition!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 18, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    #! is my fav. Nice exposure and composition!

Thank you Jeff- much appreciated.

Aaron Newman

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    3a, color all the way.

Who cares that it was mid-day. You got some deep blue skies and puffy clouds in all of them except for 3. I have weird tastes, it's true, but I like the overhead lightning on 3. It's dramatic and shows a lot of detail. I'm looking forward to seeing this "secret spot".

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. That 7mm zoom is really working well for you. thumb.gif