Options

Stuck with geotagging

darinbdarinb Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 18, 2008 in Technique
Hello all,

I'm stick with basic geotagging--I need help!

I have a GPS track and know how to convert it into various formats. I have a batch of photos that I shot (with clocks synchronized). I have embedded the GPS data from the track into the photos' data files.

That's where I'm at now. What I want to get to is a Google Maps online display that shows 1) a colored line representing the track, and 2) icons along the track that are clickable to show photos.

I've seen this done a million times but I can't figure out how--also not clear on what SmugMug offers in terms of geocaching beyond the "Map This" button.

Once I have the basics figured out I would love to go beyond--and I would love to see examples of others that have "gone beyond."

Thanks!

--Darin

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Hi Darin,

Just my opinion, but I generally wouldn't want to display my tracklog with my photos. It would show me going in circles as I try to find the best photo position, back tracking when I realize i forgot something in my car, etc. etc. I usually start my Garmin well ahead of my time spent taking photos and my tracklog can be fairly long.

I'm not sure if what you are talking about is the "track" that google maps displays when you "play" the geotagged photos. It will draw a red line in sequential order of the photos, showing a basic route for the photos (i.e. started at Disney World, then travelled east to the Coco Beach, then Nasa, then back to Seaworld, etc.

All you have to do is have a smugmug gallery with geocoded photos, hit the Map This button, and hit the play button in google maps.

Regards,
  • Options
    darinbdarinb Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    O.K., cool. I see the play button now.

Is there any way to gain control over the parameters. For example, I would liek to make the "play" button far more obvious. control the speed of moving from point to point, make the photos MUCH larger, and change the line color, etc.

Thanks,

--Darin