Options

program for backing up hard drive

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I have all of my pictures on a 500GB external hard drive, my 80 GB laptop hard drive can't hold them all! I have another 500GB hard drive I want to mirror the other external. Is there a program I can use for this? i have a PC laptop and want something that will also perform periodic updates to the back up.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I have all of my pictures on a 500GB external hard drive, my 80 GB laptop hard drive can't hold them all! I have another 500GB hard drive I want to mirror the other external. Is there a program I can use for this? i have a PC laptop and want something that will also perform periodic updates to the back up.
    Thanks

I've had good luck with SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com) - they have a freeware version of the program as well more feature-rich versions that are quite affordable (I use SyncBack SE). I use it to back up my laptop as well as desktop to several different external drives and have never had a problem.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Thanks
    I use PTREplicator a free piece of software from Karen Kenworthy...

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

... on a daily basis. I find it flexible enough without being too complicated. I have an external drive and have PTReplicator synchronise several volumes and folders including my images disk with it each night.

Check it out and do a little trial to see if it's what you want.

Anthony.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    I've had good luck with SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com) - they have a freeware version of the program as well more feature-rich versions that are quite affordable (I use SyncBack SE). I use it to back up my laptop as well as desktop to several different external drives and have never had a problem.
    thumb.gif

+1 SyncBack rocks.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    Moving this thread to Digital Darkroom, since it is more about hard drives and computers than it is about photo editing.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Take a look at SyncToy. It's a free download from Microsoft. It's easy to configure it to make Drive 1 mirror drive 2 and you can't beat the price. I use it all the time to sync my laptop and desktop folders.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Time machine!

Sorry- bad form. -1 to me. I couldn't resist.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Thanks

Never used this:

http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10312

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Syncback freeware ftw. wings.gif There's nothing else you could need (unless you want the paid version!)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I finally broke down and purchased Acronis Migrate.....I use it for keeping upto date on my OS drive as well as all photo storage drives....it is fast and easy and yeah it costs but the really good stuff in life is never free..........:Dmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I use Acronis TrueImage. I regularly create a disk image of my boot drive and data disks. Restoring a drive is simple and flawless. I recommend taking a look at this program too.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    yeah it costs but the really good stuff in life is never free..........:Dmwink.gif

eek7.gif

Love is free. Laughter is free. And Syncback is free. wings.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 21, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    eek7.gif

Love is free. Laughter is free. And Syncback is free. wings.gif

Well, sort of. The basic version is free, but if you want incremental or differential backups (which are much, much faster) you need to get the full version. Don't know what it costs today, but I paid 30 bucks less than a year ago. One license covers five machines. IMO, it is well worth the price.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Well, sort of. The basic version is free, but if you want incremental or differential backups (which are much, much faster) you need to get the full version. Don't know what it costs today, but I paid 30 bucks less than a year ago. One license covers five machines. IMO, it is well worth the price.

You are correct. In my case though, I just run all my backups overnight so there's no need for more speed.

Right now, however, I'm trying a service called SugarSync to keep my documents folders sync'd between the computer at home and the computer at work. (It also stores a copy on a cloud so I can access all files from a netbook. If this works well it will fill a need I've had for a long time as someone who needs access to all my files from multiple computers.