Expressing movement

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited August 23, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Some photographers and myself we decided to shoot under a theme or subject for August.
It is not for competition but for leisure as we criticize each others wishing to make better photography.
This month the theme is movement.
My proposals go like this:
1. Pan shot. Done with the G9, using the built in flash. They were just passing and I decided to shoot.
353323458_xJRZ5-M.jpg
2. Different approach: trees under the wind. Long exposure shot during day time. I had to "darken" the lens with a NDF and a CPF. Just a 10 seconds shot.
351928843_8csNS-M.jpg
3. Pan again with the G9. I just followed the car and I like the trails.
347750192_wgMqw-M.jpg
4. On the way back from a small night shot I used the 5D for this one. It translates movement. Camera hand holded camera while driving.
351281501_PfpT3-M.jpg

:D :thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    1. Perhaps compose more agresssively? Different angle? The panning is not very obvious actually. I think.

2. Actually great idea. However, more agressive composure? Its very drab. Too much sky with nothing going on?

3. Is the car going backwards? I think you panned too fast or something and were moving faster than the car, which is also panned almost out of existance.

4. So so. Of course, you can't really put too much attention on the camera when driving. Perhaps mounting a tripod and a remote release? This might help to cut back on the blurred guages, allowing more attention for driving but allowing you careful composition. Also, perhaps the exposure is a bit off. I know this may not be possible, but have you though about turning on only the parking lamps or some not so bright headlights, and dimming the guages, and driving very slowly down an empty road? I can see that you don't seem to be going very fast as it is. This would perhaps allow you to get more ambient exposure, yet still give you the blurred moving effect. I've never done a shot like this, and though I'd love to, I can't as I have no car in China. So perhaps it won't work.

I'm afraid I've got nothing to compare with yours at the time, except for a couple of panning bicycle shots but its an interesting concept. I'd like to join in on the fun and come up with some photos for your to critique.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    What a previledge. In China with Internet clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thank you for commenting my photos.
    The car was not going back.
    Look at this photo for example. Is the car going back ?
    256863210_fggqc-M-3.jpg
    It looks like but it was not. I was with the camera waiting for the car to pass and then I made the shot. The camera was still as you can see from the trees...
    There must be here some kind of phenomena about speeds, shutter speed, shooting speed etc.ne_nau.gif
    :Dbowdown.gifthumb.gif
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Yes, I'm in China, with internet! Its a bit slow at times, and I could only quite recently get onto sites such as blogspot. I wish I could say I'm taking hundreds of photos of beautiful China with rice paddies, pagodas and temples and villages, but I'm in a city with about 11 million people. That's the trade off for internet guess!

I hope I'm not violating anything by posting his here.

Wow! Panning IS hard when stuff starts moving fast. I wanted to see what the big deal with cars was and it finally dawned on me that the car "moves" faster when its right in front of me. So you have to turn at different speeds. * * * * * *** * * * * * kinda like that.

99% of the time, I snapped a shot where I was panning too fast or too slow. 3 out of 300+ shots were decent.

I do have some of bicycles, but they move slower so overall, I have a much higher keeper rate of panned bicycle shots

DSC_4106.jpg
    edited August 21, 2008
    Just a pan shot of a race car
    234984770_42bxY-M-4.jpg

and recent one from ... guess !:D
    275177505_DL5Tk-M-4.jpg

thumb.gifthumb
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Antonio I like them thumb.gif

I've been trying to do what you did on your second photo, but have been having a hard time.
    edited August 23, 2008
    Mary, good morning. :D
    How have did I shoot this picture and the previous second one ?
    351928132_ZsjUH-M.jpg
    I used a lot of equipment. And this is:
    Canon 5D + Canon 24-70 + CPF + NDF + Canon Remote Switch 80 N3 + Canon ST-E2 + 580 EXII + tripod + belt + 10 kg of water rolleyes1.gif
    351861123_9Et66-L.jpg
    Canon G9 shot BTW.
    The RS 80 N3 was to shoot the camera without touching it because the exposure was very long and my fingers/hand could blur the picture.
    The ST-E2 was to shoot the flash remotely because I wanted to give more light at the foreground leaves. In fact, during the exposure I do have shot it more than once.
    The CPF and the NDF was to "darken" the light from the day and allow a very long exposure or just a long exposure. It was late in the evening and the Sun was setting at our right.
    The belt - or whatever we can call it - was to keep the hole stuff still. No movement at all. I was home and the water was perfect for the job.

Aperture 22 and time just 5 seconds.
    Made some 10 shots as the day was fading and the exposure was longer and longer ...

It was windy and full noon that night.

If you watch carefully you will see the flash in the front leaves.
    Lightroom helped a lot. It is very easy - I mean easy - to use and gives good results.

And throught Lightroom again
    351927595_RdnvX-M.jpg

Like Janis Joplin said at the end of the song: That's it ! rolleyes1.gif

Have a nice week end.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Some photographers and myself we decided to shoot under a theme or subject for August.
    It is not for competition but for leisure as we criticize each others wishing to make better photography.
    This month the theme is movement.
    My proposals go like this:

1. Pan shot. Done with the G9, using the built in flash. They were just passing and I decided to shoot.
    2. Different approach: trees under the wind. Long exposure shot during day time. I had to "darken" the lens with a NDF and a CPF. Just a 10 seconds shot.
    3. Pan again with the G9. I just followed the car and I like the trails.
    4. On the way back from a small night shot I used the 5D for this one. It translates movement. Camera hand holded camera while driving.

:Dthumb.gif

Interesting Series Antonio,
    As you have shown there are many ways to capture motion.
    Thats quite a setup you've got there with the water bottles :D

I think anyone who takes photos while they are driving a car is an Idiot, there is no way you have control of the car if your busy taking photos.
    Please don't encourage people to do this, it's so dangerous.
    ( I will say no more on the matter )

Thank you for sharing ...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited August 23, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    ... I think anyone who takes photos while they are driving a car is an Idiot, there is no way you have control of the car if your busy taking photos.
    Please don't encourage people to do this, it's so dangerous.
    ( I will say no more on the matter ) ... Skippy.
    May be I am an idiot ne_nau.gif
    But if all idiots were like me ...:D May be no wars in the Planet or people starving and killed by millions ! Examples go by the hundreds on millions.
    I am NOT offended Skippy. Oh no.clap.gif

I was driving the car in an empty road, no one around, dark in a full Moon, slowly, the car is automatic, camera holded with one hand, the right one.:D

Thank you for the concern and advice.bowdown.gifD
    In fact, I have only shot twice driving. Some time ago and now. I won't do it again and I will remember Skippy if ever that goes through my mind.

Have a nice week :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Antonio .... many thank-you's on how you did this clap.gif

I will try this on a windy day. Kinda windy today, but last night would have been the best time, but then maybe to windy. Blew at 40mph....might of lost my camera and tripod :D

I don't have a ND filter yet :cry