Options

Vignette how to?

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in Finishing School
Can anyone tell me how to add a vignette in photoshop elements. I tried a search of the topic and turned up nothing.

Thanks,
Wes

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Quite a few examples using Google. Should work at least back to Elements 3.0

Look here and here.
  • Options
    StuggiStuggi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Those are mostly examples of how-to-do that often quite horrible fade-to-white effect that you mostly see on anno 1995 websites of pets and wedding photos.

For the more proper, artistic and good looking vignette, where the edges get darker and darker; do the following:

Option one, "the test of patience":

Basicly what you want to do is to manually burn the edges with the burn-tool in photoshop. Basicly use a big soft-edge brush and low exposure (5% or less). You probably want to play around with the tone-setting until you get the results you're after.
    This method takes a lot of time, but you have much more control over the process. I personally have never used this method since it requires more patience than I've got.

Option two, "the quick and dirty":

First, make a copy of the background layer.
    Then set blending mode to Multiply or Overlay (Test both to see which one you like the most, they are quite similar).
    Now your photograph gets quite a lot darker, but don't worry, we're going to correct that in a minute.
    Now, make sure you're working in the background copy layer and select the whole image (Select -> All or Ctrl+A).
    Then select Feather (Select -> Feather... or Ctrl+Alt+D) and feather your selection. A setting of 250 pixels usually works great for me, but experiment here as well.
    Now just delete the feathered selection and Voilá, you have a "fade-to-blackish" vignette, which should be quite close to the real effect (the one really cheap film cameras with pour lenses give, like Lomos and Holgas).

(Please note that I'm not so serious in my comments (so please don't take offence) about the fade-to-white version, it has it's places, but I personally think it's quite ugly compared to the fade-to-black version.) ^^
    Sebastian

Gear:
    Digital: Olympus E-520 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm 1:4-5.6

Analog: Canon FTb with Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., Tokina 28mm 1:2.8 & Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

flickr
  • Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Thanks
    Very helpful. I'm for a more subtle effect as well Stuggi.

Thanks,
    Wes
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    You can also use PS's Lens Correction to remove vignetting, and also add both white and black vignettes. It's under Filters -> Distort -> Lens Correction
    Sebastian

Gear:
    Digital: Olympus E-520 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm 1:4-5.6

Analog: Canon FTb with Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., Tokina 28mm 1:2.8 & Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

flickr
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Stuggi wrote:
    Then set blending mode to Multiply or Overlay (Test both to see
    which one you like the most, they are quite similar).
    They are completely different, actually. Overlay makes lights lighter and darks
    darker, which dramatically increases the image's contrast, while multiply only
    makes things darker (except for whites, which remain unchanged). The result is
    quite different and I would suggest multiply mode for your specific method.
    Another good way to achieve the darkening is a levels or curves adjustment in
    luminosity mode. That is actually my preferred method, because you have a lot
    more control over how light or how dark a vignette you achieve.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    OKay, cool, I've never actually tried the Overlay mode for this thing, but some people have suggested that they are similar, so I poped it in here anyway...

I'll have to try the levels/curves version and see if I like it more...
    Sebastian

Gear:

flickr
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Stuggi wrote:
    OKay, cool, I've never actually tried the Overlay mode for this thing, but some people have suggested that they are similar, so I poped it in here anyway...

I'll have to try the levels/curves version and see if I like it more...

That's right, blame it on some people.

Those blending modes are really confusing. But I learned something about overlay and multiply I didn't know. Can't wait to play with them some more.