Options

If you don't mind...

[b]en[b]en Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2008 in Technique
If you have any extra time on your hands, would you look at my site (I only have one gallery) and maybe tell me what you think my biggest errors are?
I have little skill with post production, but do you think that my "eye" is good?
I might just need a little confidence boost here!
But don't hold back, tell me the truth.

Gracias.

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Hi Ben,

First, I just want to say that i enjoyed your photos of NZ. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia.

I think you show a lot of creative flair in several of your photos. You use depth of field and various foreground/background elements to create greater viewer interest. A couple of the photos look spectacular on my large monitor. I think you know that you have a few great keepers! :D

But you came here for some feedback. Like most feedback, these are just my humble opinions.

1. Your NZ gallery feels like it could be an artisitic portfolio and not just a travelog of images on a trip. So for me, picture #13 doesn't seem to fit at all. It looks like a snapshot of someone that didn't want their photo taken. It doesn't look like a creative portrait (to me). Refining your editing process is an ongoing learning experience.

2. A few shots in my opinion simply lost out in the execution (read: I think the idea was good, but the result could have been better). An example would be the sailboat. I like the idea for your framing effect with the tree branches, but I think it's just a little too distracting.

Another example might be #14. I'm guessing this was taken from a moving train. The foreground seems to show blurring from movement that I think detracts from the image. As well for me, the lens flare doesn't add any artistic drama/mood to the photo.

3. What you will find over time is that even when you take a great shot, there may have been the opportunity to portray the image a bit differently. For me, your first shot might be one of these. I like the clear reflection of the mountain in the water, the wisp of cloud, the clear blue sky. But for me, my eyes/brain keep trying to more to the left and right. It's not for me to tell whether this photo is best in portrait or landscape, but for you to maybe see an image differently.

So my suggestions basically come down to:

1. Be ruthless in your editing.
    2. Watch for distracting elements.
    3. When you think you've just taken the perfect photo, look again, and see if there is another way to capture the moment (closer, farther, landscape, portrait).

Just my few thoughts. Keep up the good work!

Regards,
  • Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I am no Pro but
    Good day: I am no pro but I like what I see. Some better than others but I have lots on my sight that are not the best. http://eyeguy.smugmug.com/
    Unlike the Pros I usually include most all of my photos then when I get some time I will remove the not so great photos, as I get better I will have a Good Smugmug to show off. My suggestion is just keep shooting and track your success

eyeguy

http://eyeguy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with Brad - many/most of these shots are very good to excellent. A couple I would have introduced to the dust bin, but that's me.

Suggestions:
    • Be much more ruthless in your culling process
    • When shooting, try to get the same thing from different perspectives. Where your first attempt may fail, the second, third, or fourth may be the real keeper.
    • Look to the details. On of the last shots has what looks like hood vignetting - either edit that out or drop the shot entirely.

Hmmmm .... Upon re-reading this thread, I find that Brad and I had almost exactly the same comments to make.

BTW - I LOVE 1, 3, 4, and 17.
  • Options
    [b]en[b]en Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2008
    thanks guys!
    i definitely agree with the first picture being too close, but I was taking it through a hole in the trees.. maybe i can find a better one somewhere...

and the one with the dude in the sleeping bag- that was just for fun. you kinda have to know him to think it funny, but it just kinda defines his personality.
    not to be mistaken as a portrait!

well i have a million more pictures that may be up here some time or another. ill let you know when!

thanks!
  • Options
    rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    The photo of the mountains reflecting in the lake is amazing. I also love the Franz Joseph Glacier pic. Can't wait to see more of your work.thumb.gif
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com