Options

Filters

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 26, 2005 in Accessories
I'm considering going with Hoya for a 77mm polarizer that I can use on my Canon 10-22, 70-200, and 400. The body is a 20D.

Any other considertions I should think of? The three lenses will almost always be used outdoors for mainly animal, nature, and landscape shots.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a ND filter for slow exposure shots in daytime, like waterfalls. What should I consider in deciding on x2, x4, or x8. Also, what does this filter add that adjusting down the exposure on the camera doesn't?

Comments

• Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Hoya polarizers
    I've used a Hoya polarizer and other filters in the past; they're top-notch. I've put off getting a polarizer for any of my current lenses until I decided which wide-angle I'll end up getting. When I do, though, Hoya will be at the top of my list.

A polarizer will reduce exposure by about two stops, making it more or less redundant with an x4 ND. I sometimes find myself wanting another stop or two of exposure reduction, so an x8 ND would also be handy, as would a graduated ND (which I've never owned but I suppose I will eventually).

As for what a ND filter can do that your camera can't: If you want a shallow DOF that requires shooting wide open in bright conditions, your shutter speed may not be fast enough. (I've bumped into 1/4000 sec a number of times; the 20D's 1/8000 sec will help a bit.) Or if you want to combine shallow DOF with slow shutter speed, you'll probably also bump into exposure limits. I don't hear this quoted as a reason very often, but while many lenses will stop down to f/32 or even smaller, the "sweet spot" of the lens is usually f/11 or f/16 or so, and a ND filter can possibly keep you closer to the sweet spot.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    I have a Hoya UV Haze that I leave on my lens permanantly, for lens protection if nothing else. I love Hoya filters IMO they are great. I would suggest having a UV Haze, a polarising, an ND and the rest depeds on what kind of photos you like to take I gues. Having yellow filter is great for shooting in B&W, it darkens blues and lightens yellows so they can add great contrast to your landscape shots. Red filters are also good for adding contrast in B&W shots especially in indoor situations. I know that Cokin filters make many, many special effects filters, but they can be a tad on the pricey side.

Good Luck with your filters. You can have somuch fun with them.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Also, I'm thinking of getting a ND filter for slow exposure shots in daytime, like waterfalls. What should I consider in deciding on x2, x4, or x8. Also, what does this filter add that adjusting down the exposure on the camera doesn't?
    ND filters reduce the amount of light entering the lens. This means you can
    use wider apertures or slower shutter speeds to decrease DOF or add motion
    blur in bright light.

Think of the ND filter as another tool in the tool box.

In addition to full filters, ND's also come in "half ND". Either as a screw
    on filter or square glass. To further confuse things, halves also come
    with either a hard or soft edge to them. The half is most useful when
    shooting landscapes where more control is needed over a bright sky and
    dark subject matter (like one finds shooting in a valley).

Hope that helps.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?